Bicycle Questions

Options
I've been working really hard on losing weight. I'm about 241.6lbs right now and I want to be able to begin riding a bike. I used to ride every day for hours as a child. It's something that I've really missed and want to get back into as soon as possible. The last time I tried to ride was a few years back and I wasn't able to because the seat hurt (probably from weight) and my legs weren't strong enough anymore. I've lost almost 50lbs and I'm really looking forward to riding a bike all over again soon and have some questions.

1.) What is the weight limit for an average bike that's inexpensive? I've heard it's around 220lbs.

2.) How would an overweight person begin riding a bike again?

3.) How well does a bike make you fit verses other activities like running, swimming, etc.?

4.) What parts of the body does a bike work besides the legs and will it help you lose weight all over?

5.) At what weight would you suggest beginning to ride a bike?

Replies

• ThePoeToaster
    ThePoeToaster Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    Alot of questions, there. OK, One by one:
    1) What's your budget? A steel frame bike really has no "weight limit."
    2) You would begin by riding very slowly, by TIME, on relatively flat surfaces.
    3) The most aerobically fit athletes on the planet are riders of the tour de france. But this isn't a contest. Running can also get you in shape. Swimming, not so much unless you swim ALOT.
    4) Cycling works the abs, shoulders, arms, and legs. If you lose weight with cycling, it will be all over. There is no such thing as "spot training."
    5) Ride now. Don't wait. There are bikes at a gym if you want to get started immediately and it is too cold where you live.
  • sahi2lynn
    sahi2lynn Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I can't answer all your questions, but I can share a little of my experience. I started to ride again when I weighed about 160 lbs. I started with what they call a "comfort seat." If you can find a bicycle that is in your price range, you may still need to purchase a seat separately. So that would be a consideration of how inexpensive a bicycle you are really getting. But if the seat hurts when you try it out in the store -- don't bring it home. Keep shopping!

I started with very short rides. 10 minutes. Then 20 minutes. Mostly just to wake my body up again. When I got to where I was taking regular 90+ minute rides, I had to get a smaller seat. My point is that something may be comfortable for a while and then need changing, so don't be too surprised or discouraged. I actually needed a harder narrower seat and I returned to the place I had bought my bike. They were kind enough to bring out a couple stock seats that other people had discarded and they gave it to me free of charge. :)

I also did weight training (on my own, with a book for guidance). You definitely need to strengthen your core. You will be happier on your bicycle. I did total body weight training and I think it all helped my to progress in my bicycle training.

I did not loose a lot of weight from riding, but I gained strength and muscle definition.

Mostly I've HAD FUN! That's what keeps me going back. I discovered that I like long trips. A friend and I did a two day, 78 mile trip last summer. We are planning a 200 mile, four night trip for next summer.

Hope it goes well for you! A dream is a great motivator!
  • ChrisM32205
    ChrisM32205 Posts: 218 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    1. At your weight you are fine. Issues with large riders usually start at 300+ and it's usually the wheels/spokes that start having trouble first.
    2. Start by doing a little at a time. If you can get on and do a mile at first, good for you. Next time you can increase your distance a little.
    3. Cycling, swimming and running are probably all dependent on how much you do them. I wouldn't worry about it at this point.
    4. Cycling works well for overall weight loss.. like the poster above said there is no such thing as spot training.

5. Now. If you have a bike go for it. If not, look at getting one you can afford and one that fits you. I'd recommend going to a local bicycle shop and looking around.

Also you mentioned the seat hurting.. try wearing padded bicycle shorts. They help tremendously regardless of the distance you are doing.

If you have access to a local paved trail or multi use trail you could use that. It's always easier to stay out of traffic. I like to listen to music while riding on mine, so an mp3 player or such will go along way if you want to ride some distance.

• jouttie
    jouttie Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    You need to get a bike from a reputable bike dealership. They will set the saddle, handlebars, etc. to the right height for you, which is important. Use the gears, that is what they are there for. Make sure the tyres are pumped up, otherwise you'll feel like you are cycling in treacle. Make sure it is always well maintained, and you should have years of pleasure. My bicycle is insured too against theft.
    Start off slowly, set small goals, maybe five minutes at a time, then increase gradually as you feel more confident. Use the bike for doing errands, maybe for going to work or school, whatever is convenient. And maybe at a later date you can plan longer trips. Cycling is fun, I go everywhere on my bike. It sure is quicker than waiting for buses and trains! Good luck!
  • raysputin
    raysputin Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Cycling is one of the greatest activities on the planet.

Your weight is not a problem for a new bike from a reputable manufacturer.

Do not buy an older mountain bike if the rear hub right hand bearing is not on the outside of the hub. Some rear hubs had the right hand bearing closer to the centre and this put uneven stresses on the axle which would then be prone to snapping or bending over rough terrain. I had a number of axle failures in very inconvenient places before having a later model hub spoked in. No problems since.

And may I offer a word of warning about MP3 players, radios etc? If you are out away from the world, pedestrians, cars etc - OK, but, if you are in traffic, you need every sense you have to help keep you away from collisions with cars. They are not looking for you, they don't care about you and, if they hit you, you can bet they will claim it was all your fault. Stay safe out there - stick to trails wherever possible.
  • fullylugged
    fullylugged Posts: 67 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    A steel or alumnium framed bike will hold you quite well. The number of spokes in the wheels goes up for heavier riders and larger tires too. A skinny racer might ride 25mm tires on 16 spoke wheels, while the OP at 200lbs + should be on 36 or 40 spoke wheels and 38 mm tires. A rigid fork comfort bike will fit the bill nicely. Think TREK Pure, or Electra Townie as good starters. Saddles really vary and so do people's anatomy shapes. You can get the saddle on the bike swapped. The more you ride, the firmer you will want a saddle as your muscles get stronger and you actually ride on them. A local shop is a better place than a big box store to buy any bike. Be honest about your budget. See if there is a local cycling club. They are usually very welcoming to beginners. I am the rides chair of our club and we feature a beginner/relaxer ride every weekend that is family friendly. As you develop, you can increase pace, distance, etc. Weight is less an issue on level roads than it is on hills. The comfort bikes will have very easy gearing. As you get stronger, faster bikes will have faster gearing. I'm a slow old guy anyway, so I have easy gears on my road bikes :smile: I hope that losing a bike's worth of weight will help me more than new gears will!
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Bicycling is so much fun. Get a decent bike, but don't over-indulge because you will want to trade it in when you have had some experience, lose some weight and get some experience.

Join a local bike club and there are great Facebook groups. You can get an inexpensive bike online, but a local bike store will give you personal attention that's invaluable.

I ride on city streets, but it's probably better to start by going to a park or dedicated bike paths that are out of traffic.
  • ScientificExplorerGirl
    Options
    Biking is wonderful fun and a great way to stay fit! Unlike running, it is something you can do for hours on end (once you build up endurance) and for the rest of your life!

A note though regarding listening to music while you ride: Depending on the state you live in you may only be able to wear one earbud; some states vary the side in which it may be worn. In some states, such as Florida and Maryland, it is illegal. It's also against the law in Quebec. I started on bike trails when I first got back into biking a few years ago. After I was confident I went on the road. I still try to select roads that have wide paved shoulders so I am not actually in traffic most of the time.

I started out with a Schwinn comfort bike (relatively inexpensive). When I was ready and sure that I was going to stick with it for the long term I started searching for my "dream" bike. Specialized, Trek, and Cannondale are some brands I considered. Each of these makers have terrific bikes in many categories (mountain, road, hybrids, and touring). Last year I bought my first road bike. It was a Specialized and I love it!!

I agree with the padded shorts too. I thought I would feel silly riding with them on but find them necessary for my rides!

Have fun, stay safe, and enjoy your new hobby!