Snacks you eat that are low calorie, low fat, low sugar and help with hunger

Options
I get what I call Diet Fatigue. I get tired of my food fairly easily. I am also a snacker. I'd rather snack than eat a whole meal, but I find it difficult to find healthy snacks that actually have taste. If you have a recipe you'd like to share that would be great too! Thanks in advance.

List some low calorie snacks that you eat that are low calories, low fat, low sugar and help with hunger. List also the amount that you usually eat. I'

Replies

• Jelaan
    Jelaan Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Just munching on a cup of sugarsnap peas right now. It's healthy but feel like snacking and it's filling.
  • flabassmcgee
    flabassmcgee Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    As a rule, I do not eat "diet" anything or low fat anything. Fat is satiating. Fat is not the devil it's made out to be. "Diet" or "lite" food has more additives and preservatives and crap in it than it's worth.

That being said, you can't go wrong with a combo of carb and fat or protein and fat.

I like cut veggies + cheese
    Cut veggies + hummus
    Cut fruit + plain Greek yogurt
    Tuna or Boar's Head deli meat with crackers
    Lunch meat and cheese "roll ups"
    Apples or celery + peanut butter
    Nuts + dried fruit
    Popcorn

Can't go wrong with a protein shake or bar either. Plenty of brands offer low sugar options.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I'm sure there are lots of snack ideas but one thing to keep in mind that low-fat foods are usually mostly carbs which aren't very filling, at least not for long. There's nothing wrong with dietary fat; it doesn't make you fat and does a pretty good job of keeping hunger at bay longer.

Raw veggies are always a good choice. You might eat them with a dip made with Greek yogurt or hummus.

Dry, low sugar cereal like Kix, Cheerios or Chex. You could make your own Chex mix with just the cereal. It'll have flavor and less calories than the version with all of the different ingredients.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    You're most likely hungry because you aren't eating whole meals. Fat helps with satiety. There's no reason to buy low-fat.

Veggies with hummus
    Veggies with Greek yogurt dip
    Apples with peanut butter
    Bananas with peanut butter
    Nuts/seeds
    Cheese and crackers
    Deli meat rollups
    Popcorn
    Beef jerky
    Protein bar
    Protein shake
    Fiber One bar
  • flabassmcgee
    Options
    You're most likely hungry because you aren't eating whole meals. Fat helps with satiety. There's no reason to buy low-fat.

Veggies with hummus
    Nuts/seeds
    Cheese and crackers
    Deli meat rollups
    Popcorn
    Beef jerky
    Protein bar
    Protein shake
    Fiber One bar

Like minds :)

I forgot all about bananas.... Omg, banana + peanut butter or Nutella on a rice cake or whole wheat toast. Mmmmmmm.

Smoothies are good, too.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options

Veggies with hummus
    Nuts/seeds
    Cheese and crackers
    Deli meat rollups
    Popcorn
    Beef jerky
    Protein bar
    Protein shake
    Fiber One bar

Like minds :)

I forgot all about bananas.... Omg, banana + peanut butter or Nutella on a rice cake or whole wheat toast. Mmmmmmm.

Smoothies are good, too.

I agree! Smoothies with hemp powder, flaxseed, or chia seeds to add a little oomph.
  • Tim_Simons
    Tim_Simons Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Here are my lists:
    Raw almonds and dried apricots
    Sprouted-grain chips
    nut bar
    Greek yogurt with strawberries
    Low-fat cheese and carrots
  • princessnarmor
    princessnarmor Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    SueInAz wrote: »
    I'm sure there are lots of snack ideas but one thing to keep in mind that low-fat foods are usually mostly carbs which aren't very filling, at least not for long. There's nothing wrong with dietary fat; it doesn't make you fat and does a pretty good job of keeping hunger at bay longer.

Raw veggies are always a good choice. You might eat them with a dip made with Greek yogurt or hummus.

Dry, low sugar cereal like Kix, Cheerios or Chex. You could make your own Chex mix with just the cereal. It'll have flavor and less calories than the version with all of the different ingredients.

I say low fat because one day I came across a roasted chicken recipe from a woman who was on a low carb diet and she used 5 tbsp. of olive oil (a total of 600 calories) which all ended up at the bottom of the pan soaking the veggies full of oil. I just can't eat like that.
    But white refined carbs are the worst of all.

• flabassmcgee
    Options
    SueInAz wrote: »

I say low fat because one day I came across a roasted chicken recipe from a woman who was on a low carb diet and she used 5 tbsp. of olive oil (a total of 600 calories) which all ended up at the bottom of the pan soaking the veggies full of oil. I just can't eat like that.
    But white refined carbs are the worst of all.

That sounds like a yummy meal, to be honest. 6 tbsp would be a little excessive to me, but I get the idea behind it if you are on a high fat, low carb diet.

White refined carbs are not the devil either. To be honest, no food is evil. Food is food. Eat everything you like in moderation with a calorie deficit and you'll be fine.
  • princessnarmor
    princessnarmor Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    People say that, but it doesn't work for me at all. Some foods are the devil. I know this is supposed to be the current thinking, but I think people have to listen to their own bodies because everyone is different. If I ate like you, even in small portions I'd easily weigh over 200 lbs.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    People say that, but it doesn't work for me at all. Some foods are the devil. I know this is supposed to be the current thinking, but I think people have to listen to their own bodies because everyone is different. If I ate like you, even in small portions I'd easily weigh over 200 lbs.

The only way you would gain that weight is if you ate more than your maintenance.

Now, if you can't stop yourself from bingeing on certain foods then that's a different problem.
  • flabassmcgee
    Options

You don't even know how I eat.

I, like many others, are only pointing out that eating certain foods do not make you gain weight. Overeating makes you gain weight.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Awwww. I was going to suggest a high-salt option that still fit in your original criteria. Pretzels! But I see refined products are also off the list.

I plan two snacks a day but I see everyone has covered them so well already.

I've been working on my plumbing lately so I've been making judicious use of oils and prunes to get things moving along smoothly. But not at the same time. I don't eat my prunes with oil.
    • I made a dip of 1 tablespoon of flax oil with fresh parsley and a teaspoon of lime juice. I dipped my french bread in. Very satisfying.
    • Prunes. But technically they've got sugar.
    • Low-fat old cheddar.

If a recipe is too high fat for you, adjust! Just use one tablespoon of olive oil.
  • njitaliana
    njitaliana Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Hormel turkey pepperoni is good.
  • uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I like to nibble on super hot peppers (30k-50k scoville or higher is my preference). The intense burn in my mouth keeps me satisfied.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I get what I call Diet Fatigue. I get tired of my food fairly easily. I am also a snacker. I'd rather snack than eat a whole meal, but I find it difficult to find healthy snacks that actually have taste. If you have a recipe you'd like to share that would be great too! Thanks in advance.

List some low calorie snacks that you eat that are low calories, low fat, low sugar and help with hunger. List also the amount that you usually eat. I'

There's no such thing but water
  • jgnatca
    Options
    I try to keep any snack to 100-150 calories to meet my goals.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

In to find out which foods are the devil...

• jillmarie125
    jillmarie125 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    water. good luck
  • jgnatca
    Options
    Philadelphia cream cheese can be heavenly, if a little boring....