Cramping!

Options
kendrafox
kendrafox Posts: 111 Member
Don't worry guys, it is not that kind of cramping!

Lately, I have decided to start trying to run. I used to love running when I was younger, so i figured that I would give it another try. The problem is, that the last few times that I have attempted it, my leg would cramp up! I will try to push through it, but I don't get very far. I usually end up having to hopple home and stretching it out.

I do stretch before and after I go out, but that does not seem to help.

Does anyone else have (or had) this issue? What do you do to compensate or deal with it? Did it go away? Any advice is appreciated!!

Replies

• lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I bike ride a lot. My muscles have gotten a lot stronger in the past year, so i don't cramp as much. In the winter exposed skin seemed to make me cramp easier. So I covered up. Staying hydrated with water and gatorade helps too. My 40 mile long bike rides are two 20oz gatorade affairs.
  • FFfitgirl
    FFfitgirl Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Eat a banana
  • Celliott411
    Celliott411 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Lots of stretching and water consumption! I always do a long warm up walk, followed by more stretching. And not just quick stretching, but for a good ten minutes. Helps me a lot.

What part of your leg is cramping?
  • ganzelly
    ganzelly Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I'm interested to hear advice too. I do p90x and typically cramp after my workout when I'm sitting on the sofa during the evening or at night while sleeping I wake up with leg/foot/ankle cramps. It seems worse in the summer and I even put a bit of salt in my water that I drink during my workout. Bananas do not seem to help. Any advice?
  • ValerieMomof2
    ValerieMomof2 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Make sure you do a warm up before you run and are well hydrated. Static stretching is best done following a workout and dynamic stretching is better before cardio:
    http://www.runnersworld.com/stretching/dynamic-routine
  • faith_76
    faith_76 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Possibly your shoes? I bought a pair of shoes I thought were comfy till I tried wearing them all day and running. I had pain shooting up my leg for two days! I found out I have low arches so those shoes were returned (and the next pair). When I started I would also get pain in my lower legs so I ran in the grass for a couple weeks instead of pavement.
  • Brianna72994
    Brianna72994 Posts: 887
    Options
    You may just not be drinking enough fluids. That can cause cramping.

Or it can be a deeper issue such as not enough potassium, calcium, or carbs. I had the same problem so I did a ton of research on it.

I drink a lot of water before and after my run, which seems to help.
  • kendrafox
    Options
    Lots of stretching and water consumption! I always do a long warm up walk, followed by more stretching. And not just quick stretching, but for a good ten minutes. Helps me a lot.

What part of your leg is cramping?

It is my calf, kinda like a charley horse.
  • kendrafox
    Options
    Thanks for all of the great tips!!! Any more advice would be greatly appreciated!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    dynamic warm ups, proper hydration (which includes electrolyte balance) , proper footwear all play a role in cramping
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    pretty much everything i have to say has been mentioned before.
    water, banana, warmup, shoes, etc.

are you new to running? you might just be overdoing it. try a program like c25k.

my husband used to take TUMS for the calcium when he had cramps bicycling, since he's having a protein shake before his rides, he's been a lot better.