truths about some "recommendations" for diets

Options
maryrichen
maryrichen Posts: 14
edited December 2014 in Health and Weight Loss
The nasty truth about some diet tips is that they cost more and may pan out but some situations are not good. Organic foods and such are good but in the same mindset ask this. How is a college student that is barely scraping by and has to save in order to not go under when it is time to pay to do half of the recommendations when it costs too much for it to work financially. Other tips such as the one as using chopstixs is not logical for most. I am of the number that would starve with that( and when I mentioned throwing away some good cooked meals the person who recommended it looked satisfied. I will not go into how many types of wrong that is since that is not the purpose of the post).

•Eat 2 tablespoons of organic plain yogurt 2-3 times daily. Since yogurt is homogenized, supplement with vitamin C and folate (or the inferior folic acid) to protect against inflammation and arterial damage.
Now this is only for some but lactose intolerance is a issue with some. This is a issue as it hurts more than it helps for some with this issue. I am one of those that have an unsavory reaction that causes weight gain instead of loss.

•Eat small meals more often instead of the typical 2-3 large meals. Five small meals is usually ideal.
This can be doable but for some it is not possible. Work or other responsibilities get in the way.

Here is my favorite one that I will more or less like spelling out the issues for.
•Drink plenty of mineral-rich spring water, well water, or water filtered by a Berkey system with fluoride filters
I drink what I can get which is filtered water but I am not shooting myself in the foot if it isn't by not drinking at least eight glasses of water per day for. If I run out and drink water that isn't filtered that way then so be it.

Replies

• AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    maryrichen wrote: »
    •Eat small meals more often instead of the typical 2-3 large meals. Five small meals is usually ideal.
    This can be doable but for some it is not possible. Work or other responsibilities get in the way.

HA!
  • Original_Beauty
    Original_Beauty Posts: 180 Member
    Options

I do this not for weight loss reasons but it helps me with hypoglycemia and I do not binge.

• gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    That's why there's no one size fits all diet plan that will work for everyone. Do the best you can taking into account your personal dietry intolerances, calorie, macro and micro requirements and the amount of money you have to spend.
  • Original_Beauty
    Original_Beauty Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    gmallan wrote: »
    That's why there's no one size fits all diet plan that will work for everyone. Do the best you can taking into account your personal dietry intolerances, calorie, macro and micro requirements and the amount of money you have to spend.

Completely agree. Just because it worked or didn't work for you doesn't mean it will or will not work for others.

• Charlottesometimes23
    Options
    The nasty truth about some diet tips is that they cost more and may pan out but some situations are not good. Organic foods and such are good but in the same mindset ask this. How is a college student that is barely scraping by and has to save in order to not go under when it is time to pay to do half of the recommendations when it costs too much for it to work financially. Other tips such as the one as using chopstixs is not logical for most. I am of the number that would starve with that( and when I mentioned throwing away some good cooked meals the person who recommended it looked satisfied. I will not go into how many types of wrong that is since that is not the purpose of the post).

•Eat 2 tablespoons of organic plain yogurt 2-3 times daily. Since yogurt is homogenized, supplement with vitamin C and folate (or the inferior folic acid) to protect against inflammation and arterial damage.
    Now this is only for some but lactose intolerance is a issue with some. This is a issue as it hurts more than it helps for some with this issue. I am one of those that have an unsavory reaction that causes weight gain instead of loss.

Here is my favorite one that I will more or less like spelling out the issues for.
    •Drink plenty of mineral-rich spring water, well water, or water filtered by a Berkey system with fluoride filters
    I drink what I can get which is filtered water but I am not shooting myself in the foot if it isn't by not drinking at least eight glasses of water per day for. If I run out and drink water that isn't filtered that way then so be it.
    Where did these 'recommendations' come from? They sound a bit silly.

If you want yogurt, plenty of yogurts are low or lactose free. Check for lactase as an ingredient and if you see it, it will mean that the lactose has been broken down. Why do you need to supplement with vit c and folate if you have yogurt and why is folic acid inferior? It's synthetic but better absorbed. Many countries have mandatory folic acid fortification anyway, so a blanket statement such as this doesn't make much sense.

You don't need to eat 5 small meals if you prefer not to. Provided calories and macros and micros are the same, it makes no difference if you eat 3 larger meals, or something else that suits.

You don't need to drink 8 glasses of water per day. You can drink tea, coffee, soda etc etc. They all count towards fluid intake. Whether fluoridation is safe or not is a matter of debate, not a given. I have no problem drinking tap water.

• yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    i consider all tips to be short cuts and all short cuts damaging to my results.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options

The only "diet tip" that holds any water is:

Eat less than you burn.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Not every tip works for every person! I use the dumb ones sometimes. Currently eating more peppers because my neighbor, who is a Person Who Speaks Spanish (note how I'm staying out of the Hispanic/Latino issue there!), swears that is why she is so thin. It does not appear to be helping anything, but wth, it's not hurting anything. I cannot eat the ridiculously spicy stuff, though, so she is claiming that if I could, I'd lose even more. Cannot disprove that!) :) Just this morning, she was bragging to a store clerk about how much weight I've lost and how she helped. Small NSV. :)

I like to hear all ideas. The dumber, the better, really, but all of them.

Fluoride, though, is important. That's why they added it to water. :) If you never drink tap water, you might want to discuss it with your dentist. They have special, extra-fluoridated toothpaste stuff they might want to give you.
  • maryrichen
    Options

The only "diet tip" that holds any water is:

Eat less than you burn.

Where did these 'recommendations' come from? They sound a bit silly.

If you want yogurt, plenty of yogurts are low or lactose free. Check for lactase as an ingredient and if you see it, it will mean that the lactose has been broken down. Why do you need to supplement with vit c and folate if you have yogurt and why is folic acid inferior? It's synthetic but better absorbed. Many countries have mandatory folic acid fortification anyway, so a blanket statement such as this doesn't make much sense.

You don't need to eat 5 small meals if you prefer not to. Provided calories and macros and micros are the same, it makes no difference if you eat 3 larger meals, or something else that suits.

You don't need to drink 8 glasses of water per day. You can drink tea, coffee, soda etc etc. They all count towards fluid intake. Whether fluoridation is safe or not is a matter of debate, not a given. I have no problem drinking tap water.

That is absolutely true theVirgoddess. And as from where I got it. It from a article that was supposed to be geared towards helping others lose weight. The comment about the 2-3 meal tip came about as I am out most of the day and can only carry so much food on me. It does not help that my work would fire me if I took the amount of breaks it would for me to actually do this (that and I would be kicked off the bus). I know others may not be in the same situation but have the same issue with that tip.
  • maryrichen
    Options

I do this not for weight loss reasons but it helps me with hypoglycemia and I do not binge.

I am happy it works out for you. I just have the issue of being out too much for it to work with other factors as I stated in my previous reply.