Boredom Eating

Options
How do you counter boredom eating. Even when I am not hungry I just want to eat everything in sight!

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I don't put a lot of foods in my sight. My fridge has enough food for lunch and dinner. I only buy snacks in small packages, to eat right at that moment. But, I live across the street from my grocery store and I'm single so don't need a packed cupboard. I don't know your situation.
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Knit. Play video games. Mop the floor.

Seriously. I do boredom eat. When I'm home alone and at a loose end, I am more likely to want to eat when I do not need to than anything.

I find that getting a warm non-calorie drink then doing ANYTHING else helps a lot.

(My house is REALLY clean these days)
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Chew gum and move.
  • mymodernbabylon
    mymodernbabylon Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Make sure that my deficit isn't too huge and that I don't make any food a food I can't fit within my macros/calories. When you know you can eat it, then you tend to not eat it out of boredom.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    Knit. Play video games. Mop the floor.

Seriously. I do boredom eat. When I'm home alone and at a loose end, I am more likely to want to eat when I do not need to than anything.

I find that getting a warm non-calorie drink then doing ANYTHING else helps a lot.

(My house is REALLY clean these days)

^^All of the above. I'm the Queen boredom eater! Well, I *was* (getting better every day). Replace the bad habit with good ones, and reinforce the new habit daily. One day at a time.
  • catic32
    catic32 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Don't keep crap in the house. If it's not there you can't eat it.
  • NoelFigart1
    Options
    I will point out that while overeating on snacks is the worst and most eggregious part of the problem, one can overeat on "healthy" stuff, too. You would simply not BELIEVE how much fruit I can go through when boredom eating! (While better than potato chips, it can still make me go over calories)
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Go for a walk
    Paint your nails
    Sew
    Play cards
    Clean
    Chew gum
  • NoelFigart1
    Options
    Oh, painting nails! That's a great one, because you're stuck not wanting to hurt your manicure for at least a half an hour.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Do something that's interesting. For me, that's playing an addictive game. Hours can fly by. I've missed meals in the past thanks to games.
  • shrinkinginQualicum
    Options
    I find a hot herbal tea with a touch of sugar (15 - 30 calories) takes the edge off for me. I have trouble at work with that, and that tends to shut me up.
  • jillmarie125
    jillmarie125 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    ok these tricks are all cute, but just don't eat. you have realized you are eating out of boredom. so just put the food down and walk away. that simple.
  • squirrelzzrule22
    squirrelzzrule22 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    stop the boredom! Find a new activity or hobby. Knitting, reading, or something that gets you out of the house. Do you have a local animal shelter? Many shelters love it when volunteers stop in to take pups for a walk.

Being busy makes all the different to me. Downtime is still important, but I personally feel MORE relaxed when I've finished a busy day full of activities and good eating than I do after a lazy day in bed.
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I've told myself if I think I want food I need to think why I do. Am I hungry or am I bored? If I'm truly bored, I grab a glass of water. If that doesn't work, I eat a piece of fruit. Then I put gum in my mouth and ignore my inner hungry woman.
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    Find something to do
  • samantha1242
    samantha1242 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Go for a walk, go to a yoga class (or whatever class you like), play an instrument (or learn an instrument), read a forum, knit, clean the house!
  • amtru2015
    amtru2015 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    i drink herbal tea---keeps me hydrated lol. Otherwise, it just takes the willpower to say stop and no.
  • officialashy
    officialashy Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    happens me too. i snack at night a lot :( and i can't stop myself
  • LifeInTheBikeLane
    LifeInTheBikeLane Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I drink a lot of water and coffee to counter act it. I used to be really bad about it. I would snack on everything I could get my hands on. If I have an open box of snacks (Chips, crackers, chex mix...etc) I will still snack on it so I started portioning it out ahead of time to avoid it. Everything is prebagged for specific days so I'm less likely too!
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Stop eating unless it is a proper meal/snack you planned for.
    Get a new hobby and/or do something else to keep your mind occupied, away from food thoughts.
    Learn to practice mindfulness and meditate for increased focus and clarity.

When you give in to the craving, you let the brain run the show. It is just an organ really and if your mind doesn't actively take control, it most certainly will step into the driver's seat.

It is called discipline, and luckily mindfulness and meditation are two easily learned skills, which you can keep practicing for free for the rest of your life, should you desire to use tools available to fight the excuses.