Phentermine

Options
Does anyone have any experience with taking phentermine? also known as Adipex 37.5mg

Replies

• TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I took it in the very beginning of my attempt to lose weight, my doctor wanted me to get a jump start because I'm insulin resistant (and, at the time, I trusted him). I took half a pill a day and I HATED it. It made me feel really terrible. So I lasted maybe four days before quitting. I really wanted to try to make a go of it on my own, you know?

I'm 66 pounds down so far and knowing that I did it all on my own is really empowering. I'm glad I stopped taking the pills, and based on how I felt, I wouldn't recommend them.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    How does this pill teach you to eat in moderation and what will happen once your done with them? Most people gain all the weight back plus some.

Just eat in a deficit and exercise. :)

ETA: I know people don't like to hear that, but it works and it doesn't cost anything.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    Here we go... :\
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Ditch the pills and eat in a caloric deficit.

FYI: This site isn't exactly diet pill friendly.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options

FYI: This site isn't exactly diet pill friendly.

For a very valid reason...
  • misscaligreen
    misscaligreen Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    I know this site is not diet pill friendly which is why I posted. I have a friend who has been taking the pills for WELL OVER the recommended time. When she goes off them she gains weight rapidly. I have been telling her about this site and all the successful people but she doesn't really listen. I have told her that I have lost weight just by counting calories with very little exercise. It can be done (obviously exercise is better) I guess my post should have been more specific? I think she is addicted to the pills and she doesn't see a real doctor she goes to some weight loss clinic to buy them and only saw a doctor once to get approved. I am at a loss as to what to do or say to her. She is not receptive.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    I know this site is not diet pill friendly which is why I posted. I have a friend who has been taking the pills for WELL OVER the recommended time. When she goes off them she gains weight rapidly. I have been telling her about this site and all the successful people but she doesn't really listen. I have told her that I have lost weight just by counting calories with very little exercise. It can be done (obviously exercise is better) I guess my post should have been more specific? I think she is addicted to the pills and she doesn't see a real doctor she goes to some weight loss clinic to buy them and only saw a doctor once to get approved. I am at a loss as to what to do or say to her. She is not receptive.

I don't think they'er is anything you can do, she has to see for herself.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    Serah87 wrote: »

Yep. You can't help people that don't want it.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    I took it for one month at the start of my weight loss program, to get used to eating less without losing my mind or losing control and throwing in the towel. It certainly did the job! However, be ready for dry mouth and, uh, slow intestinal action. You might want to get a hold of something from the drugstore to counteract that if you take the Phen. By the time a month is up, you may well be ready to wean off the prescription. It makes you feel kind of whackety. Even though it's not the pleasantest, it works and to me it was worth it.
  • Archerychickge
    Archerychickge Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have any experience with taking phentermine? also known as Adipex 37.5mg

No, but I don't have any experience with cocaine, heroin, or meth so I think I'll pass on all four..
  • Tammy_1971
    Tammy_1971 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I used it for a short time under Dr. supervision... and he really supervised... I'm talking an eco-cardiogram every month to make sure it wasn't causing any damage. I lost 11 pounds the first month. Dr. would no longer prescribe it to me once I got down to a BMI of 28. I did not have any issues with it, and basically used it as a jump start to help me get used to eating less. Now that I am off of it, the weight is coming off slower, but that is perfectly fine with me! Found this website and loving the inspiration I see every day.... keeps me plugging along... :lol:
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Serah87 wrote: »

^This. Sorry about your friend, but you can't change people if they don't want to. You let her know about this place and that the pills aren't needed and that's honestly the best you can do.
  • hoopdancer11
    hoopdancer11 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I don't think there is a "take phetermine vs. using MFP" debate. I have been taking it for about a month and will be on it for another month. It has helped with suppressing hunger and I have used this app for 37 days straight and have lost 10 pounds so far (even though the tracker isn't working on the mobile version). I record everything I eat, even when I didn't want to on Thanksgiving and at holiday parties!! Yes, there's dry mouth and you'll have to pee like twice an hour, but it literally encourages you to drink water because of the seemingly unquenchable thirst. I'm interested to see what it's like coming off of it. There have been times when I was angry because I was craving chocolate and pizza, but seriously, who hasn't felt a twinge of anger when you should be eating a salad instead of pasta? I have felt stupid hungry while on it and have also been able to overeat. It's not a magic pill. YOU have to do the work too.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    Serah87 wrote:
    How does this pill teach you to eat in moderation and what will happen once your done with them? Most people gain all the weight back plus some.
    Just eat in a deficit and exercise.
    ETA: I know people don't like to hear that, but it works and it doesn't cost anything.
    FFF wrote:
    If someone were in pain, would you tell them to just get over the pain, use willpower & not feel bad?
    If someone has uncontrollable hunger, there's nothing wrong with using an appetite suppressant.
    It's not magic. It won't lose the weight for you. You still have to control what you eat, it's just a lot easier when you're not in pain (hungry) all the time.

I've used phentermine, stopped for a couple months, and am taking it again more days than not, but I'm finally close to being at too low a BMI to qualify to use it. I'm quite OK with that. :smiley: I'm almost 2/3 of the way through my planned weight loss.

I also go to the gym nearly every day, and control what I eat.
    It's just that the "controlling what I eat" part is a lot easier when I'm not overwhelmingly hungry.
    And compared to how I felt when I first started taking it, the hunger I have now is normal.
    I expect that will continue once I can't use it any more.

It didn't do anything to my blood pressure, didn't keep me awake, I didn't get jittery, I didn't have any trouble with "intestinal issues".
    I have a friend who has been taking the pills for WELL OVER the recommended time. When she goes off them she gains weight rapidly.
    Then she hasn't learned to eat right.
    37.5 is a high dose.
    It's supposed to be a relatively short-term measure to help someone get their hunger under control, learn to eat right, learn to eat normal-sized portions.
    See above, about "it's not magic".
    But there's nothing you can do about your friend.

I did a blog post about prescription weight loss drugs. It has basic info, with links to more detailed / scientific stuff if you're interested.

51637601.png
  • misscaligreen
    misscaligreen Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    MKEgal wrote: »
    Serah87 wrote:
    Just eat in a deficit and exercise.
    FFF wrote:
    If someone were in pain, would you tell them to just get over the pain, use willpower & not feel bad?
    If someone has uncontrollable hunger, there's nothing wrong with using an appetite suppressant.
    It's not magic. It won't lose the weight for you. You still have to control what you eat, it's just a lot easier when you're not in pain (hungry) all the time.

I've used phentermine, stopped for a couple months, and am taking it again more days than not, but I'm finally close to being at too low a BMI to qualify to use it. I'm quite OK with that. :smiley: I'm almost 2/3 of the way through my planned weight loss.

I also go to the gym nearly every day, and control what I eat.
    It's just that the "controlling what I eat" part is a lot easier when I'm not overwhelmingly hungry.
    And compared to how I felt when I first started taking it, the hunger I have now is normal.
    I expect that will continue once I can't use it any more.

It didn't do anything to my blood pressure, didn't keep me awake, I didn't get jittery, I didn't have any trouble with "intestinal issues".
    I have a friend who has been taking the pills for WELL OVER the recommended time. When she goes off them she gains weight rapidly.
    Then she hasn't learned to eat right.
    37.5 is a high dose.
    It's supposed to be a relatively short-term measure to help someone get their hunger under control, learn to eat right, learn to eat normal-sized portions.
    See above, about "it's not magic".
    But there's nothing you can do about your friend.

I did a blog post about prescription weight loss drugs. It has basic info, with links to more detailed / scientific stuff if you're interested.

51637601.png

THANK YOU!
  • Junebuggyzy
    Junebuggyzy Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I'm another one that had success with Phentermine. I lost 42 pounds using it. I started on it last February. I am in the normal BMI range. For the first time in 25 years.

The "secret" to keeping the weight off. It's to taper off the pills gradually. People that gain weight after they stop taking it don't taper off gradually. If they don't learn to track diet and exercise, and eat healthy, that's another way to gain it back.

For the haters:
    Some of you may not know this, but our diet clinic doctors take our blood pressure and heart rate each month. We get EKGs and have to keep current on our blood tests and physicals. Not everyone is able to take it. Our diet doctors make sure we are healthy enough.

I print out my food and exercise logs and email them to my diet doctor once a month. It is medicine. It's not an easy cheater's way out. Your way is not better than my way, just as much as my way is not better than yours is.

Think of it as medicine; truly that is what it is.

• PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    It's really hard to get take anything seriously when someone throws out the term haters. It just kills whatever point that is made because it's such an exaggerated and sophomoric thing to accuse others of dissenting opinions of being.
  • Junebuggyzy
    Junebuggyzy Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Sorry, Pika. You're right. I should have used a different word. "For people with different opinions" would have been more appropriate.
  • Flawless_K
    Flawless_K Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I am on my second round of Phen. The first time wasn't successful; I actually stopped taking it after it taught me a lesson about myself. The first time I took it, like the very first day, it was magic! I didn't feel hungry, like at all, and my energy level was through the roof. It felt so wonderful to get everything done and more! But this feeling only lasted for about a week :\ My body got immune to it; well kind of. It suppressed my appetite but not nearly at the levels I felt initially. And the energy? Gone....back to sluggishness (which ultimately my fault from poor diet, lack of exercise and not enough water or sleep). Even though it was suppressing my appetite, I still was eating...And not the good (for you) foods. I realized my problem was that I eat mostly with my eyes! I wasn't even hungry but I was eating pizza, Chinese, sweets, philly cheese steak...all of my usual. I eventually stopped taking the pill because I was wasting it anyway. And I still didn't work out.

So, for those who said it's not a miracle drug and you still have to do the work...I agree. You still have to make the choice to eat right and exercise...no drug can make you do that. And if you need a little help, so be it, no judgments ;-)

And the end of the day, you have to do what's best for you and do it safely under the supervision of a doctor.

This time around...my second chance with Phen...I'm listening to my body and eating only when hungry.