Weigh & Measure EVERYTHING vs. It's just one day!!!

Options
So I see these two canned responses alot. Obviously on threads asking two different questions. On threads asking "Why am I not losing?" the first response is "You're eating too much. Weigh and measure everything." Around the holidays especially, but also regarding birthdays and what not, I see tons of "This day is coming up. What should I eat?! Help!" To which the response is "It's just one day! Enjoy yourself! Go nuts!" I guess my question, from a practical weight loss standpoint, is how often is it OK break from the former and follow the latter?

Replies

• TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    It's going to vary person to person. The point is maintaining a deficit overall. So it really depends on how you (general) do day to day, IMO.

For me, I allow myself non-tracking days for my birthday, TDay and Christmas. But that's just within *my* comfort zone.
  • golfbrew_matt
    golfbrew_matt Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    The answer probably depends on each individual and their tolerance for taking a break and then getting back into a routine. Personally, I usually take 1-2 days per week to slack off from logging and then I'm very careful about logging the other 5-6 days. I've been doing this for a few months now and it tends to yield a pretty consistent 1-2 pound per week loss. I generally "gain" 1-3 pounds on my cheat day(s) and then lose that weight back plus the additional 1-2 pounds in the 5-6 days per week that I accurately log and keep within my daily allotted calorie limit.
  • Medilia
    Medilia Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I don't think there is an exact number of times it is okay to just splurge.
    My rule of thumb is on a day I am going to splurge and not measure I measure the other meals I have so with luck I won't go ridiculously over my calories.

In theory you can have a small splurge once a week and it may even help with your weight loss as it changes things up for your body.

Personally I am religious with my scales and making sure I note everything. But if I need to go out to dinner I just think "What would I eat at home".
    If it is something like Christmas I don't weigh or measure at all (Mostly because my parents won't let me saying I am ruining the experience)
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I do not think they are necessarily diametrically opposed.

If you give yourself permission to go nuts for birthdays and major holidays (call it a generous 24 days a year), you're doing it 6.575% of the time.

If you're strict and careful the other ~93.4% of the time, I sincerely doubt there is a problem.

The PROBLEM comes in when you try to be all or nothing, or if you let those 24 days spill over into more.
  • golfbrew_matt
    golfbrew_matt Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    The holiday season usually leads to more parties, and more parties lead to more cheat days for me. But MFP has helped me to keep my cheat days from turning into falling off the wagon for good. I just hop back on after my mini break and keep on trucking along.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    This advice does not contradict itself.

If a person has a non-tracking day where more calories are consumed, there are no deficits in the following day that can erase the effects. So it's dust yourself off and make better choices today.

I have managed to lose weight in a week where I had one higher-calorie non-tracking day. But mileage will vary.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    BFDeal wrote: »
    So I see these two canned responses alot. Obviously on threads asking two different questions. On threads asking "Why am I not losing?" the first response is "You're eating too much. Weigh and measure everything." Around the holidays especially, but also regarding birthdays and what not, I see tons of "This day is coming up. What should I eat?! Help!" To which the response is "It's just one day! Enjoy yourself! Go nuts!" I guess my question, from a practical weight loss standpoint, is how often is it OK break from the former and follow the latter?

I think it depends on you.
    I feel it is important for me to learn that I can eat pretty close to my normal calories and still celebrate all the special days. I am going to plan and log what I eat and drink as much as I can. I'm going to enjoy myself without worrying or going nuts.
    I think people are really saying that if you are on track most days the occasional day that you don't log or eat more are not going to set you back so you can relax. On the hundreds of other days each year, logging and weighing/measuring can help you lose weight.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    I think the meaning is celebrating an important day with food (Thanksgiving/Christmas/birthdays/etc.) is not what brought people here; it's overeating/not exercising the other days that was the problem. I'm not really logging this week because it's going to be hard to, what with the extra treats around/dishes from other people/going out, but I am trying to stay under my maintenance. Saturday morning, though, I'll be back at it losing weight.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,952 Member
    Options
    I kind of feel like its about 3 - 4 times a year.
  • Archerychickge
    Archerychickge Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I try to weigh and measure everything even on days when I know there's going to be extra temptation. I'll plan my other meals accordingly to maximize what I can have later. But if I go a little over I have two choices.... work it off with exercise or just say, "Tomorrow is a new day." and I don't stress over it.

Besides you would have to eat a HUGE number of calories to gain even one pound compared to what you eat for weight loss. You would probably feel like crap halfway through and stop.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

If you give yourself permission to go nuts for birthdays and major holidays (call it a generous 24 days a year), you're doing it 6.575% of the time.

If you're strict and careful the other ~93.4% of the time, I sincerely doubt there is a problem.

The PROBLEM comes in when you try to be all or nothing, or if you let those 24 days spill over into more.

I think this sums it up pretty well.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    It's going to vary person to person. The point is maintaining a deficit overall. So it really depends on how you (general) do day to day, IMO.

I agree with this. How much impact one high calorie day makes depends how much of a deficit you carry from day to day. It is possible to undo an entire week of dieting in one day if your daily deficit is small and that one day is very high.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options

Pretty much this.

The point is to enjoy the few occasions that call for a higher calorie intake, but don't turn all 365 days of the year into it. Enjoy those select few days and continue with the deficit when they're over.
  • BenjaminS_Fitness
    BenjaminS_Fitness Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    "This day is coming up. What should I eat?! Help!" To which the response is "It's just one day! Enjoy yourself! Go nuts!" I guess my question, from a practical weight loss standpoint, is how often is it OK break from the former and follow the latter?
    This may be terrible advice.
    e.g.: if you are a female with a caloric balance of 1600 and you eat 3500+ one day because of that advice and you have a hard time getting back on track it may result in 6000+ calories over your need in one week instead of one cheat day.

have a cheat meal to replace a regular meal and maybe cut down on carbs in a later meal.
    i do eat 5-6 meals a day with 400-700 cals each. (3300cals total at the moment) If i would replace a 500cal meal with a 1000cal cheat meal it would still be only 500 over my goal instead of completely messing up the whole day.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    It's just one day means that in the grand scheme, if you periodically have a high day it doesn't matter. clearly the more high days you have, the more this will affect weight loss/management. So if your unweighed/logged days are outnumbering your well-logged days or you are not losing, then that's clearly something you need to address.

I eat food that I love every day, though, so usually when it comes time to eating on holidays or special occasions or just going out impromptu eating, it doesn't really mess me up all that much because I don't wind up binging on anything now. At christmas I will eat one of my pieces of chocolate (it's like 100+ calories) versus eating the whole box, because i don't have binge habits anymore. Holidays have not yet been an issue for me. I went to see The Hobbit yesterday and ordered a small fries, looked up the cals, and it was probably off but I didn't really care too much. Then I ate normal the rest of the evening. Since I am not deprived of foods that I love the majority of the time, the only caveat for me is just figuring out waht fits my macros and how much of it will fit.
  • fearlessleader104
    fearlessleader104 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    The correct answer is 12.
    What do I win?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options

I'm pretty sure there's not an answer to your question...because ultimately it is going to come down to the math. If, "it's just a day" and you have one or two of these every single week...someone is probably going to significantly hamper their rate of loss...because math. If you are generally kicking *kitten* and taking names in regards to your overall big picture nutrition and fitness, "it's just a day" really is not a big deal.

If you're otherwise rocking it, having a periodically high calorie day or missing a workout here and there isn't a big deal in the big picture...and I'm not talking about, "oh noes, my loss this week might be slower"...I'm talking the big picture of months and years.

• sheepotato
    sheepotato Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I don't think the advice is conflicting or mutually exclusive.

If you are bothering to log your food, log everything as accurately as you can or it's a wasted effort. That includes logging your high calorie 'cheat' days, it's just about inputting accurate information. If your log isn't fully filled in, it's as useless as being empty.

The 'it's just one day, enjoy it' advice is usually directed at the people who still have the all or nothing attitude that makes them feel like if they are not on target everyday that they might as well scrap the whole plan. For it to be a sustainable thing you have to accept that you are not going to have only perfect well balanced meals every single day and never overindulge again.

It's also accepting that having a slice of cake that doesn't fit into your calories is not excuse to eat the rest of the cake that evening and then go and buy more cakes for a week. Then feel horrible about yourself for eating cakes for a week and buying some cakes to comfort yourself.

The advice is, it's a few bad days out of the year. They are going to keep coming every year and you just need to find a way to prepare or adapt. There is no wagon. You can not fall off a changed life, and the wagon mentality is what needs to go.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Yep! Consider for example people who might decide not to eat the various dishes prepared by family during holidays or turn down items specifically because they'll be a pain to log. The math still has to work out but hopefully you don't get so lost in the calorie counting trudgery to the extent that you can't even relax and enjoy an excellent day