Fat to LBM Loss Ratio?

Options
BarbieAS
BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
edited December 2014 in Health and Weight Loss
Let's say you're an average MFP-er with a decent amount to lose who pays attention in the forums but isn't (and isn't trying to be) an athlete or a figure competitor or anything. You follow most of the commonly thrown out guidelines about appropriate deficits and macros (getting enough protein) and such, and you do some resistance training (though maybe not a formal lifting program or anything). Basically, you're trying to lose excess fat the smartest way possible without having any major body comp or performance goals (at this point). What percentage of your loss would you expect to be LBM, and/or what percentage would be a good realistic goal? (ETA: And/or, if you have the info, what was your personal experience?)

I know everyone is different and it depends on a lot of very individual factors, but I'm a numbers geek and I was hoping to just have a general idea so that I can ballpark some trends and stuff. I tried using my Googler, but all I could really find was a lot of info for people who are cutting after a bulk, which is cool but not really applicable to the average MFP user (or at least not to me), you know?

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    IDK but I'd like to see the answers. Personally, I'll be happy if my BF% is the same after weight loss as now.
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    If it were me, I would search for moderate energy restricted controlled feeding studies using google scholar, find some studies that used your approximate macro range and approximate caloric deficit, and see what their results were.

You may need some digging to find something relevant to you, but it is the best way I can think to get a decent estimate.
  • holyfenix
    holyfenix Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Don't quote me but last I read is if you are at a moderate deficit (losing .5-1lb a week) it can be anywhere from 5-30% depending on your macros and how much you lift. Lifting and getting enough protein will help preserve most of your mass. If you are just doing one or the other it is less. Obviously neither will result in a greater loss of LBM.
  • wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    I've lost 15 lbs in a little over 4 months now and gone down almost 10% BF (from 36% to 26%) in that timeframe. I lift with a trainer twice a week and do cardio the other 3 days per week. My trainer has me do some heavy lifting when I'm with him (I'm still gun shy to do any weights by myself) so he kills me in those two days.

I believe I'm in a very slow loss month this month. Most of the 15 lbs fell off in the first 2 months and then started to dramatically slow in the 3rd month. I've only got 7 lbs left if I'm to believe my trainer about what my goal weight should be and my clothes and rings are all falling off of me. I think I'm still recomping, but I'm losing REALLY slowly right now and eating at or around maintenance in any case. I would like to lose about 6% more BF and I'm not too concerned about the weight at this point.

I see myself getting stronger and my clothes fit way better too.
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone!!!

I'm basically just trying to get a number/range that I can compare my own BF% estimates to to kind of gauge over time if I'm on track or if I want to up my protein/lifting game. I also find spreadsheets incredibly fun (shut up), so it's really interesting to me to play around forecasting weight and body fat percentage goals. That 5-30% range mentioned might be a decent starting point.
  • Nekton
    Nekton Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi, my fat:lean loss ratio has been 3.2:1, over a 51 lb weight loss, so that is 76% of my loss as fat (and conversely 24% as LBM). My BF% has dropped 5.6 percentage points.
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    There are tons of variables that make your question next to impossible to answer accurately. First off, the amount you have to lose, and how lean you decide to get will greatly impact the amount of lean mass lost to dieting. If you have over 100 lbs to lose and want to simply get to a "healthy" weight for height, lean mass loss should be of little concern. If you have 100 lbs to lose and want to get relatively lean, or very lean, lbm become a greater concern the leaner you get. Genetics play a big roll here too. Some people will just tend to retain more LBM then others. Your resistance training and macros are another variable. Someone who does some resistance trainer will fair better then someone who does none, but will likely lose more LBM then someone who does a proper weight training program if all other factors were equal.

People's anecdotal personal results are also not very helpful either. Unfortunately, most people who body fat and lean mass data have inaccurate data. I would venture a guess that over 95% of the people here that have body composition analysis figures obtained those figures from a skin fold caliper test or a BIA device (the thing with the handles that you grab). Neither of those methods are all that accurate or reliable. While they can be decent to track trends, the numbers they give would vary greatly from the numbers a dexascan (body fat gold standard test) would give.

In the end the best things you can do to prevent lean mass remain true. Get adequate protein, lift weights, use a moderate caloric deficit, etc.