More ab definition?

Options
I am 5'1" and 108lbs. I started lifting weights about a year ago, but recently (in the last 6 months) have gotten more into it and started lifting heavier weights. I would like to gain muscle and add ab definition but I'm not sure what else I can do. I workout about 1-1.5 hours a day 6 days a week with the following schedule (looking to switch it up):
Mon: Shoulders & arms (4 exercises each) w/ 30 min cardio
Tues: Legs (lunges, squats, deadlifts, good mornings, calf raises, wall sits...) w/ 20 min cardio
Wed: Cardio/Core
Thurs: Back (6 exercises) w/ 20 min cardio
Fri: Chest (6 exercises) w/ 30 min cardio
Sat: HIIT and what ever else I feel like working that day.

I have opened my diary and added a current tummy picture to my profile. If you have any tips/tricks I would be soo grateful. Thanks :)

Replies

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Abs are made in the kitchen. Lose more body fat.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Hard to say since your profile is closed and we can't see your pictures. Either your body fat is still too high or you don't have enough volume in your ab muscles to show. At your height and body weight I'm guessing you don't have enough muscle for them to show. I hate the term skinny fat, but generally a woman with low body weight and no visible abs falls under that type of definition.

What I think you should do is continue to lift, but find a solid lifting program to follow. You should probably eat at about your TDEE or just slightly under.
  • angiekain
    angiekain Posts: 5 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    Hard to say since your profile is closed and we can't see your pictures. Either your body fat is still too high or you don't have enough volume in your ab muscles to show. At your height and body weight I'm guessing you don't have enough muscle for them to show. I hate the term skinny fat, but generally a woman with low body weight and no visible abs falls under that type of definition.

What I think you should do is continue to lift, but find a solid lifting program to follow. You should probably eat at about your TDEE or just slightly under.
    Thank you! And sorry, didn't realize what my privacy settings were, all fixed. But I agree, I definitely think that I need to change up my routine a bit and find a program that gives better results.

• sarahstrezo
    sarahstrezo Posts: 568 Member
    Options

Yep...agree with this ^^^ You probably just don't have enough lean mass for any of your muscles to show no matter how little fat you have.
    As for programing...if you are newer to lifting, I think you need to WAY simplify your routine. Find a beginner strength program and follow that. 3-4 days total of 50-60 minutes is all I do and more than enough. Cut out all that cardio, eat at maintenance (or slightly above) and continue with a reputable lifting program.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    angiekain wrote: »

Thank you! And sorry, didn't realize what my privacy settings were, all fixed. But I agree, I definitely think that I need to change up my routine a bit and find a program that gives better results.

I checked your picture out. You're definitely lacking the muscle, but there may be a bit of fat still. At this point with you still being pretty new to lifting you will be able to recomposition well. That requires eating at about your TDEE and lifting. I agree with Sarah that a strength program 3-4 days a week for about an hour should be good. Cut back on the cardio.