Protein powder

Opinions on what's the best protein powder to use?

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    There really isn't a best. Just pick one that tastes good with the most protein per gram.
  • uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    Whatever tastes good, has the least fillers, keeps you within your calorie goal, and is affordable for you! :)

ON Gold Standard is my go-to when I need to supplement whey.
  • rand486
    rand486 Posts: 270 Member
    Optimum Nutrition.

Someone actually took the time to take various protein powders to a lab, and ON was one of the only ones that was advertising their nutritional info correctly. Many were flat out lying, and those lousy Walmart brands had less than half of the actual protein they were advertising.

Further to that, it tastes good, and blends well with water, whereas other brands tend to be chunky.
  • allanakern
    allanakern Posts: 245 Member
    personal preference, I love Combat MusclePharm.. birthday cake flavor
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    +1 for the Optimum Nutrition train.
  • jgnatca
    I notice that body builders have a strong preference for whey. Any particular reason?

In my journeys I've come across unusual protein sources like Chlorella. Any opinion on that (other than it's relative expense)?
  • Tea_Mistress
    Tea_Mistress Posts: 105 Member
    Love optimum nutrition, their flavours rock
  • CarrieCans
    CarrieCans Posts: 381 Member
    The best for me is any that i can add to a drink or food without making me gag.

Now i use the Pure Protein french vanilla flavor. It's cheap stuff that i can buy local because there aren't any fitness stores where i live and i am afraid of buying online without tasting first. For me, any protein i can add is better than not adding it.

It is not preferred by my BF. He can't drink it because of the whey but i have no problems with it. He eats like a monster so he doesn't need it anyway.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    I try to find protein that isn't full of fillers and junk. I've been using BioChem for quite some time and it's wonderful. Mixes well, the natural flavor is not noticeable in a shake, etc. It does have two ingredients I'm not fond of.....but all the completely natural vegan protein powders I've tried I just can't handle the taste of. Vega Sport is a great brand to look into. I use a few of their products - just can't choke down the protein powder for some reason.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    jgnatca wrote: »
    I notice that body builders have a strong preference for whey. Any particular reason?

i dont think i qualify as a bb, but for me it's the convenience and bang for the buck factor.

my whey is cheap, good balance of calories/protein/carbs, tastes great, and i like being able to take 45g protein right after a workout without needing to prep or eat anything.

• jgnatca
    Thanks, skull.
  • PowerfulHunt
    PowerfulHunt Posts: 281 Member
    Another +1 for the Optimum Nutrition train.
  • peter7361
    peter7361 Posts: 20 Member
    I've been using GNC Pro Performance 100% Weigh Protein for years. It has 24 grams of protein, two grams of fat and five grams of carbs per serving, for a total of 130 calories per serving. It goes down smooth, and comes in a variety of flavors.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    I don't know why so many people like ON Gold Standard and actually think it tastes good. I've tried the Vanilla and Extreme Milk Chocolate and both were vile.

I use a local brand, so unless you live in South Carolina it won't do you much good to know what I use. However, I've tried the following brands (in vanilla only) and found them to be much tastier than ON:
    • Pronom 23 by Controlled Labs (probably the best in this list)
    • COR-Performance by Cellucor
    • Phase 8 by MuscleTech

I was looking for a good vanilla because I enjoy whipping up extra delicious protein shakes in my blender, but I found that none of these blend as well as the brand I use, so it's best to just mix it with milk in a shaker bottle and drink it plain. If that's the case, no need to stick with vanilla. I hear great things about the other COR-Performance flavors as well at Trutein (NEVER put this stuff in a blender - gross!).

I'll also add that MRM All Natural Whey protein is way better than you'd think, and a good option for anyone avoiding artificial sweeteners.
  • catic32
    catic32 Posts: 105 Member
    I use Progressive - but you need to find one you like the taste of, and is in your price point. Just try not to get something with tons of fillers/additives.
  • Cellucor tastes really good and mixes well. I've had cinnamon swirl, cookies and cream, peanutbutter marshmallow...along with the vanilla and chocolate. All are really tasty.