Trying to bake/cook healthier. Help me with my grocery list!!

Options
nicolemviolette
nicolemviolette Posts: 105 Member
Ok, so here is my usual grocery list:
white bread
frozen pizzas
chips
juice
junk
junk
junk.

BECAUSE ITS CHEAP. I am going to start picking up a few "healthy" things every time I go shopping until I have all of the things I need to start making a healthy change for my boyfriend and I. Meaning, HEALTHY homemade pizzas, casseroles and deserts/snacks.
I want to make things with lots of protein, not too many calories. I am just not sure what to buy to get me started.
I have a few ideas, those are: Quinoa, chicken breasts, wheat flour, coconut oil and stevia (instead of sugar when i bake.) I NEED MORE INGREDIENTS for my little "healthy ingredient stockpile."

Replies

• GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    Do you like quinoa or is that on your list because you read it was healthier? Same question for wheat flour??

I cook and bake a lot.
    I buy whole chickens and break them down it's more cost effective
    Fish
    Pork
    All purpose flour
    Sugar
    Butter
    Vegetables depending on what's in season and a supply of frozen
    White rice or Jasmine as that's what I like
    Ice cream or gelato
    Fruits what's on sale or looks really good
    Pizza sauce or ingredients to make your own sauce
    Full fat cheese for your pizza
    Bacon (lots of bacon)
    Coffee
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Ok, so here is my usual grocery list:
    white bread
    frozen pizzas
    chips
    juice
    junk
    junk
    junk.

BECAUSE ITS CHEAP. I am going to start picking up a few "healthy" things every time I go shopping until I have all of the things I need to start making a healthy change for my boyfriend and I. Meaning, HEALTHY homemade pizzas, casseroles and deserts/snacks.
    I want to make things with lots of protein, not too many calories. I am just not sure what to buy to get me started.
    I have a few ideas, those are: Quinoa, chicken breasts, wheat flour, coconut oil and stevia (instead of sugar when i bake.) I NEED MORE INGREDIENTS for my little "healthy ingredient stockpile."

Nothing is really healthy or unhealthy without context of how it fits into your total diet and the amounts consumed
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Do you like quinoa or is that on your list because you read it was healthier? Same question for wheat flour??

I cook and bake a lot.
    Fish
    Pork
    All purpose flour
    Sugar
    Butter
    Ice cream or gelato
    Bacon (lots of bacon)
    Coffee

Pretty much this.

OP, if you really like quinoa and Stevia knock yourself out. But you don't have to buy those to be healthy. We do eat quinoa in my house (rinse that stuff GOOD btw or it has a bitter taste). But for the most part, just cooking meals from scratch and including lots of vegetables is a good starting point. I think one great way to begin, assuming you are not a big cook at this point, is to check out some simple and/or light recipes online, and steer clear of gimmicky ingredients that cost a lot...and just buy what you need for each recipe. Keep it simple as much as possible. Use garlic, onion, and spices a lot and try to keep away from prepared sauces and dressings unless necessary.

• Some_Watery_Tart
    Some_Watery_Tart Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    If you want to focus on more nutrient dense foods, I would suggest buying whatever fresh fruits and veggies are in season/on sale. It's a great way to force yourself to try new things and add some extra nutrients to your diet.

The others here are right though. Quinoa isn't necessarily healthier than bread--and it's expensive. It depends on your goals. White bread isn't necessarily unhealthy. But there are more nutrient dense options available.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I make a really delicious chili… Here's the recipe:

16-20 oz. ground turkey
    1 can black beans
    1 small onion, chopped
    1 bell pepper, chopped
    Chili powder
    Garlic powder
    Ground pepper

Brown ground turkey. Add black beans, onion, bell pepper and spices. Simmer on low for 20 minutes.

I serve it with cornbread (optional, of course).

I make rotisserie chickens or buy rotisserie chickens at least 3 times a week. They're cheap and easily make 3 meals. I serve it with a baked potato and asparagus.

I eat salmon at least once, if not twice, a week. I serve it with brown rice and asparagus or green beans drizzled in EVOO and garlic.

You can also make big salads. Try spinach, feta cheese, grilled chicken, chopped pears, grapes cut in half, and pistachios (unshelled) with a vinaigrette.

Other things on my grocery list:
    Eggs
    Bacon
    Earth Balance
    Apples
    Bananas
    Raspberries
    Blueberries
    Frozen fruit
    Almond milk
    Mushrooms
    Cucumbers
    Green beans
    Avocados
    Lettuce
    Carrots
    Popcorn
    Cashews
    Almonds
    Pistachios
    Boars Head turkey breast
    Low carb wraps
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I suggest you start with a recipe. Once you've made it and eaten it you will know if you have a repeat.

http://nourishedkitchen.com/1-chicken-5-meals/
  • jgnatca
    Options
    Beans and lentils are cheap and healthy.
    http://www.grouprecipes.com/137845/spicy-sausage-lentil-soup.html

Instant thin-crust pizza; switch to soft tortillas for the crust. Load it up the way you like.

Have onions, eggs, garlic, a thickener like cornstarch, bouillon powder, and a variety of spices around to try out new recipes.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I make a really delicious chili… Here's the recipe:

16-20 oz. ground turkey
    1 can black beans
    1 small onion, chopped
    1 bell pepper, chopped
    Chili powder
    Garlic powder
    Ground pepper

Brown ground turkey. Add black beans, onion, bell pepper and spices. Simmer on low for 20 minutes.

I serve it with cornbread (optional, of course).

I make rotisserie chickens or buy rotisserie chickens at least 3 times a week. They're cheap and easily make 3 meals. I serve it with a baked potato and asparagus.

I eat salmon at least once, if not twice, a week. I serve it with brown rice and asparagus or green beans drizzled in EVOO and garlic.

You can also make big salads. Try spinach, feta cheese, grilled chicken, chopped pears, grapes cut in half, and pistachios (unshelled) with a vinaigrette.

Other things on my grocery list:
    Eggs
    Bacon
    Earth Balance
    Apples
    Bananas
    Raspberries
    Blueberries
    Frozen fruit
    Almond milk
    Mushrooms
    Cucumbers
    Green beans
    Avocados
    Lettuce
    Carrots
    Popcorn
    Cashews
    Almonds
    Pistachios
    Boars Head turkey breast
    Low carb wraps

So much great advice. Also OP, remember that it can be baby steps...you don't have to go from frozen pizza to cauliflower-kale pizza. You can gradually progress from the less healthy to a more healthy option, even if it's something as small as adding a chopped bell pepper & some ham to a thin crust frozen pizza instead of going for the deep pan sausage pizza with stuffed crust.

• dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Adding to what others have said.
    eggs
    high fiber tortillas (for wraps, tacos, quesdillas, pizza, breakfast burritos,etc.)
    no salt added can tomatoes (great in soup, sauces, for quick salsa)
    no or low sodium chicken broth
    fresh and frozen veggies
    carrots and celery (snacks or great soup base)
    onions and garlic (great flavor enhancers)
    potatoes
    lean ground beef
    chicken breast
    shrimp
    lettuce (wraps, salads, sandwiches)
    coleslaw mix (for salad, stir-fries, tacos)

http://soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2013/12/inside-out-egg-roll-re-post.html

soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2014/04/tomato-and-breakfast-bacon-pizza.html
  • Swiftlet66
    Swiftlet66 Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    Spend 80% of your shopping money on the outer rims of the grocery store (veggies, fruit, meat, dairy) and 20% in the inner aisles (your beloved junk). Have fun!!
  • DaniTronMcNally
    DaniTronMcNally Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I'm totally broke, but all those MnMs, chips, lollies, they're expensive, I now spend my money on
    Chicken
    carrots
    broccoli
    brown rice
    eggs.
    I buy fruits and weetbix as snacks and do you know what, even with $12 a kilo chicken I come out saving money!
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    For me, baked goods kept to a minimum is one of the things that helps in losing and maintaining weight. Nothing magical, but I observed early that I get more "value" (taste, nutrition, satiety) from other foods.
  • AllyCatXandi
    AllyCatXandi Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    My shopping list usually depends on what I'm planning to cook, but usually I have these kitchen staples:

- Rice (pretty much every variety, but the biggest bag is just regular old white rice)
    - Spices & seasonings (I've accumulated next to every spice on the planet by this point)
    - General sandwich stuff (ya'know, bread/ham/cheese/lettuce/tomato/chutney/margarine/etc.)
    - Meat (usually chicken breast, beef/pork mince, or occasionally prawns. Sometimes sausages/burgers.)
    - Tinned tuna/salmon (if I need to throw something together quickly)
    - General baking stuff (flour, sugar, baking powder, sprinkles, etc.)
    - Baking substitutes (sweetener & applesauce - have to be careful when recipe tinkering though)
    - Greek yoghurt (can be breakfast, snack, dip, dessert, and baking substitute!)
    - Fruit (frozen, fresh, or in those little fruit cup things - whatever's on special or in season)
    - Tea (...it's a slight obsession of mine)
    - Chocolate (which is a non-negotiable item which must be stocked at all times)
    - Quick Breakfasts (like Up&Go, things that can be grabbed on the way to work)
    - Ice cream (it's HOT over here. Not that I don't eat ice cream in winter too...)
    - Quest Bars and/or Muesli bars (the former isn't everyone's cup of tea, but I like them so)
    - Vegetables (whatever I'm planning to cook with, plus some mixed frozen & tinned ones. I don't like science projects in the bottom of the fridge.)
    - General sauces & spreads (peanut butter, BBQ sauce, tomato relish, chocolate sauce, etc.)

I guess the system I find easiest is to have a whole heap of non-perishable staples first, then decide on a recipe to make and buy the rest of the ingredients accordingly. But that's because I make a batch of food and it lasts me a few days.
  • flabassmcgee
    flabassmcgee Posts: 659 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I typically plan out my meals for the five work days, THEN I shop. Weekends I kinda eat willy nilly and log accurately.

Sample menu(s):

Breakfast:

Muesli in a jar.

Coconut Steel Cut oats (steel cut oats, shredded coconut, coconut oil. I like to add slivered almonds and a few chocolate chips).

Egg Cups (Canadian or regular bacon or ham with eggs cracked into it. Baked in a muffin tin for 15 minutes.) With toast and an apple.

Protein shake mixed with coffee and a mini whole wheat bagel with cream cheese.

Lunch:

Salad in a jar. There are SO many varieties. Pinterest has a ton.

Soups. I make a big batch at home and bring it with me. Served with a side of crusty bread.

Sandwiches lunch box style with fruit veggies and hummus.

Quinoa Greek-style with cucumber, feta, tomatoes and slivered Kalamata olives.

Dinner

Served with potatoes, rice or pasta and steamed or from frozen veggies or a simple salad.

Parmesan crusted tilapia

Rosemary-garlic roasted chicken

Pork roast (crock pot!)

Meatball subs (crock pot!)

Taco night

Burger night

Snacks

Veggies+ cheese
    Veggies+ hummus
    Fruit + Greek yogurt
    Apples + peanut butter
    Tuna or Boar's Head deli meat + crackers or rice cakes
    Popcorn
    Trail mix
    Nuts+ dried fruit
    Roasted chick peas
    Kale chips
    Protein bars or shakes

I like five ingredient or less menus. You can find a lot of those types of recipes online to save money.

Buying in bulk saves money.

Coupons abound online and in your local paper. southernsavers.com is a favorite.

Dollar stores sometimes have good deals on food. Mine has bags of frozen fruits and vegetables for just a dollar.

As others have said, you do not have to go full force. You can eat anything and lose weight... In moderation. :)

Good luck.
  • pensierobello
    pensierobello Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Think about what you like to eat and see what you could do in terms of making it healthier.

For instance, if you love chips (though I suspect you mean crisps), buy potatoes, chop 'em up with some olive oil and cook. Even healthier? Do it with sweet potato. Just add paprika and mmm.

If you like pizza, buy a couple of bases and then go to town with things you like on them - just buy some tomato paste, cheese and whatever meat or veg you enjoy.

I bought a slow cooker and it's been brilliant, too, very good for being lazy!

My staples at the moment are:

Sweet potatoes
    Split peas
    Rice / pearl barley / bulgar wheat
    Courgettes
    Green beans
    Canned tuna
    Chicken pieces / Quorn pieces / turkey mince
    Cheese (I use lacto-free as I'm intolerant)
    Seeded granary bread (so much nicer than white)
    Olivio spread
    Mixed beans
    Bananas
    Carrots
    Golden syrup porridge sachets (which I use water with instead of milk, and put blueberries in)

I still eat junk too, I can't kick those habits so easily, but these aren't expensive things (a thing of pearl barley cost me 55p!) so you won't kill your budget on them.

Feel free to add me if you want to :)
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal, potatoes, peanut butter, apples...all super cheap.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Things I generally have on hand-
    Onions, garlic, olive oil, peanut oil, oatmeal, dry beans, dry lentils, canned chickpeas, canned diced tomato, chicken, all purpose flour, whote wheat flour, corn meal, lemon juice, lime juice, plain yogurt, milk, eggs, pasta, rice, frozen vegetables, peanut butter, popcorn (not microwave type), cereal, canned or frozen fruit, cheese, trail mix, white sugar, brown sugar, maple syrup, honey, baking powder, baking soda, vanilla, tomato paste, spaghetti sauce, potatoes, carrots, celery, spinach, whole wheat bread, apple cider vinegar, white vinegar, balsalmic vinegar, rice vinegar, condiments, spices (salt, pepper, cayenne pepper, cumin, oregano, basil, rosemary, thyme, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, cinnamon, ginger, bay leaf...lots of others), oranges, apples, bananas, salsa, butter (not margarine or spread), salad dressing

Making things like pita bread, flour tortillas, or pizza dough isn't too complicated. I generally use a portion of whole wheat flour and a portion of all purpose flour combined.
    Pizza is a good way to use leftovers. A leftover flatbread can serve as a crust. Leftover spaghetti sauce makes good pizza sauce. Use leftover meat or vegetables as toppings.
    Soup is a good dollar stretcher. It freezes well usually and reheats well.
    Plan your meals before shopping. Use the most perishable foods first.

budgetbytes.com has some good recipes.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    For instance, if you love chips (though I suspect you mean crisps), buy potatoes, chop 'em up with some olive oil and cook. Even healthier? Do it with sweet potato. Just add paprika and mmm. - pensierobello

Which reminded me. One of my favourite kitchen appliances besides a good knife and my garlic press, is a mandoline.

I've tried other slicers but if they are cheaply made the blade is wobbly. Mine is more like the picture below, is very sharp and very sturdy, and always slices consistently.

42800_0_1_-Mandoline-lame-ceramique.jpg

With thin slices I can make a lasagna made with zucchini sliced thin. Crisps/chips are super-easy too. Slice up, spread out on a parchment lined baking sheet, dab off the beaded moisture, spray with olive oil, and season as you please. Bake at 350 or 400 F until crispy. Keep an eye on them.

• shartran
    shartran Posts: 304 Member
    Options

I cook and bake a lot.
    Fish
    Pork
    All purpose flour
    Sugar
    Butter
    Ice cream or gelato
    Bacon (lots of bacon)
    Coffee

Pretty much this.

OP, if you really like quinoa and Stevia knock yourself out. But you don't have to buy those to be healthy. We do eat quinoa in my house (rinse that stuff GOOD btw or it has a bitter taste). But for the most part, just cooking meals from scratch and including lots of vegetables is a good starting point. I think one great way to begin, assuming you are not a big cook at this point, is to check out some simple and/or light recipes online, and steer clear of gimmicky ingredients that cost a lot...and just buy what you need for each recipe. Keep it simple as much as possible. Use garlic, onion, and spices a lot and try to keep away from prepared sauces and dressings unless necessary.

I agree too...shop the perimeter of the grocery store. Just buy 'real' food and stay away from packaged things (expensive!) Start using spices too...they really are beautiful thing!
    Good Luck

• floridamatty
    floridamatty Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    one of the things I found out that I loved is wheat cous cous, its just about the easiest thing to make, boil water or chicken broth, add cous cous stir, put lid on, take off heat and then in 5 minutes fluff, real easy as Im not a big rice fan and you can add veggies, garlic even things like raisins to it.