Does kettlebell size(not weight) make a difference

Options
forcheese
forcheese Posts: 24
edited December 2014 in Fitness and Exercise
Hey,

So I finally got myself a KB, but where I live the small metal KBs aren't popular so I got myself a big plastic one.

I got a 10 kg KB because I wanted to push myself a li'l. I have enough light weights, but I'm finding it very difficult to use it. I can do a KB swing well enough with it, but other KB exercises forgive me I dont know all the names I find very difficult.

Now, I don't know if thats because of the weight or size... As an example the KB move where you lift it up and flick it to the back I just can't do that now again it might be the weight and not the size, but I can get strong enough for the weight, but there's nothing I can do about the size of the KB.

Another example is when I deadlift with it I dont really feel it much if I hold it in the position I find comfy which is just holding on top, but if I hold it on the sides the difficulty level increases immensely, but so does the discomfort.

Yes, so basically right now the only thing I can really do is a KB swing do any of you know if the size matters? I am of course very open to the fact that it's the weight and not the size.

edited: to add the move I'm referring to is called a single arm KB snatch.

Replies

• epido
    epido Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    The physical size of the kettle bell, especially at 10 kg, isn't going to make a difference at all. In fact, most people make the mistake of using kettle bells that are too light. A 10 kg isn't bad for someone starting out, but you will find that you quickly out grow it, if you are doing the exercises correctly.

I have been working out with kettle bells for a little bit over a year, and the best thing you can do is find a certified kettle bell instructor. Look for someone who is either an SFG I or II (Strongfirst certification) or an RKC certified instructor.

I am venturing a guess at what you are describing in your third paragraph, and think it may be either a clean (your elbow is bent and the kettle bell is on the back of your arm, at shoulder height) or a snatch (the bell is on the back of your arm, and you are holding it overhead). Either way, it sounds as if you need some guidance in how to properly do the move.

I'm not clear about what it is you are trying to do when you are talking about deadlifts either. Whether you are doing one handed or two handed deadlifts, you should be grasping the bell by the top of the handle. Typically, if you are holding the bell by the horns (on the sides of the handle, instead of the top of the handle), you are doing squats, not deadlifts.

Based upon what you've written, again, the best information I can give you is to recommend you find a SFG or RKC certified instructor and take a few classes so you can learn the proper way to use your new tool.

Kettle bells can be a lot of fun. They are a great tool, and while they are simple, they aren't necessarily easy. Not using proper form is a sure fire way to injure yourself, so investing in some instruction is well worth the money.
  • forcheese
    Options
    I live on an island with a gym the size of a bedroom so a personal trainer is out.

Yes, with the deadlifts I know I'm suppose to hold it on top, but I was just trying to say I don't feel it as much as I thought I would... The only time I feel it is when I hold it on the side as I would when I do a squat.

Also the move I was trying to do is a snatch... I do a clean and press with my barbell and admittedly I really need to focus on getting the move right... I'm no expert clearly, but I am pretty good with figuring out how to do particularly moves from reading up on it and watching demo videos. I make my bf watch me do the moves (his more experienced than I am) anyway like I said I am open to the idea that it's me and not the size of the KB.

I think perhaps I will give the KB a rest for now and continue with the DB etc till I've gotten a lil stronger and fitter etc.

Thanks ;D it's a pity thought as I do like doing the KB swings lol
  • epido
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Part of why you may not be feeling it as much with the dead lifts is because it isn't enough weight. In fact, at times, when things are going "right" with a kettle bell, it can be because it is too light. Sometimes using more weight actually fixes the problem with certain kettle bell moves.

To give you an idea of the difference in weight with various kettle bell moves, here's what I typically use during a workout, and my 1RM for the one's that I know what it is.

Swings - This is the move where the bell I use varies the most. It really depends upon what I am trying to accomplish. I routinely warm up with a 12 or 16 kg bell. When doing two hand swings, I have used bells as heavy as 32 kg. For one hand swings, I have used anything from 12-24 kg. If I am using doubles, I can swing double 16 kg.

Press - I am routinely pressing 12 & 16 kg bells, and my 1 RM is 20 kg.

Clean - My 1RM with doubles is 20 kg, and I am not sure what it is for a single bell. During workouts, I routinely use 12-16 kg bells.

Snatch - I've never tried to snatch more than 16 kg, which I am able to do easily. I haven't done doubles yet, so not sure what that would be for me.

Jerk - I've never tried to jerk more than 16 kg, which was very easy. I know I could do significantly more, but no idea what it would be. I've only ever done this using a single bell.

Turkish Get Up - I routinely use 12-16 kg bell for these, although my 1RM is 24 kg.

In my collection, I have 1-8kg, 2-12kg, 2-16kg, 1-20 kg, and 1-24kg bell. Any time I have used a heavier bell, it's been either in a class, or in a session with my trainer.

If finding an instructor to train with in person isn't an option, what about doing something online? I know there are trainers that do distance/online training, where you send them videos of you doing various skills and they then give you pointers to improve your form/make sure you are doing the skill correctly, along with workouts and other information.
  • forcheese
    Options
    from your response it seems that you do quite a bit of KB workouts :smiley:. I haven't tried the turkish get up, but that is one move I bought the KB for I research quite a lot online, but I only recently found out about that move. That just goes to show you how little I've looked into KB moves. I suppose the "turkish get up" could work with a DB...

I'm a lot stronger in my lower body than my upper body (I have a feeling most women are) so I definitely need a lighter weight with any move that involves lifting the weight above my head.

Thanks for all your help especially the tip about the online trainer... I didn't even think of doing that.

Curious though do you use the light weights for warm up? I know some fundi's frown upon lighter weights. I on the other hand would rather lift lighter than drop the weight on my head hehe.

• epido
    Options
    My warm up sets typically consist of one or two hand swings and squats. Depending upon what I am doing for the rest of my workout, I will use either a 12 kg or 16 kg bell.

I bought the 8 kg bell early on, for practicing on my own with some of the skills I wasn't comfortable doing initially without a spotter with the 12 kg bell. It's been months since I have used it, but kept it just in case. That, and my 11 year old was using it when he first started swinging them. Now, he is using a 12 kg bell with ease for swings, and has used a 14 kg bell lately, while at class.

If I mess with the 8 kg bell at all anymore, it's just to play around with bottoms-up presses or something else similar.
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Try fitnessbender on youtube for your kb exercises and its free.
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    I caution using fitness blender-they have great workouts, but their form is off for some of the kb exercises. I can't stand watching Daniel do a snatch. Once you get form down you could follow along with fitness blender-they have great ideas.

I agree with the other poster about online coaching, and a heavier bell. I began with a 20 lb bell, and now do most of my workout with a 25, I use a 30 lb for two-hand swings. I have a 10 that I never use, except for bottoms up presses, and a 15 I use for get-ups, mostly because I hate them and don't practice them often. I notice the bell tends to fly about when I clean or snatch anything lighter than a 15-when I use the 20, I have much more control over the bell and it goes where it's supposed to. I've been using kettlebells consistently about a year now.

and don't wait till you get more fit to use kettlebells! They are a fantastic tool, and will whip you into shape in no time, once you get the routine down!
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    socajam wrote: »

Fitness Blender has terrible form when it comes to KBs. Try to find someone online who's RKC or SF trained. I like BodyFit By Amy, she's certified under RKC, and does a nice KB video. Most KB videos you will find Youtube are displaying horrendous form.

Below are two instructional vids and 1 workout.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=bMQHAmCXJAI

https://youtube.com/watch?v=q68QfoQyf6Q&index=21&list=PLSjM8A0gK-DtaErU2taJlYrDbmPU1s-G5

https://youtube.com/watch?v=DQbgWfAcxwU
  • forcheese
    Options
    BFDeal wrote: »
    It's not size it's how you use it!!!!!! Sorry, knee jerk response.

Lol you have no idea how much I edited the post before I actually posted it.

I like fitness blender a lot :) I probably would have just followed their KB routine not knowing they didn't have the best of form.

So another useful tip!

• Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    socajam wrote: »

Second this check out their beginner work out with Kelli. This is how I started with kettle bells
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    Whoops just read responses re fitness blender. Lucky i haven't hurt myself then
  • epido
    Options
    htimpaired wrote: »
    I have a 10 that I never use, except for bottoms up presses, and a 15 I use for get-ups, mostly because I hate them and don't practice them often.

Funny! That's one of my favorite exercises to do with KBs. I also like doing snatches, but mostly because of how effective they are at getting your heart rate up, and you can get a really great workout in, in such a short amount of time.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    I am sad that the heaviest kb at my gym is 60 lbs an I have been able to swing it since April :( I want to go heavier!!!! I mostly use barbells, etc, but use KBs for some things.