Better for fat loss: Strength Training v. Cardio exercises

Options
I have heard that there is a strong debate about which of the two is better for fat loss. The issue is mostly that strength training is better with long term calorie burn, while cardio is better with calorie burn during exercise.

Others say that a combination of the two gets the best results.

So, which method is more effective for fat loss?

Replies

• AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Don't post identical threads in different forums...
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    Cardio burns more calories, so more fat overall.
    And the calorie burn increase from building muscle isn't as big as most people think.

Here's a blog post I did which discusses that issue, with links to a couple of articles which go into detail.

51637601.png
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    MKEgal wrote: »
    Cardio burns more calories, so more fat overall.
    And the calorie burn increase from building muscle isn't as big as most people think.

Here's a blog post I did which discusses that issue, with links to a couple of articles which go into detail.

51637601.png

Cardio may burn more calories in that time frame but that's not necessarily all fat. Strength training minimizes muscle mass loss while cardio doesn't and that's why many people that focus on cardio only end up at a higher body fat percentage then others of similar height and weight that either included strength training or did just strength training.

And this, in the long run, can end up affecting RMR as people with more LBM tend to have a higher RMR than those with a higher body fat percentage.
  • cblue315
    cblue315 Posts: 3,836 Member
    Options
    I have been doing both for the last 7 months. Dropped 58 pounds in that time. I do 45 minutes of cardio 6 days a week, plus spin 45 mins 4 X week, Weight lifting 3 x week. Today I can bench press 125, leg press 160. Last month I was down 10 inches on measurements. Both is the answer from me.

67201008.png
  • rogerOb1
    rogerOb1 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    cblue315 wrote: »
    Both is the answer from me.

Pretty much
  • thecountofsudan
    thecountofsudan Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I would say both ...... cardio is a quick way to burn calories .........but strength training help the preservation of muscle which in turns keeps you metabolism fast
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    davypr86 wrote: »
    I have heard that there is a strong debate about which of the two is better for fat loss. The issue is mostly that strength training is better with long term calorie burn, while cardio is better with calorie burn during exercise.

None of the above. The kitchen is the most effective for fat loss.
  • Nicola0000
    Nicola0000 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different. personally, I don't do any cardio what so ever. Lifting heavy *kitten* weights gets your HR high!! However, I know some fitness competitiors that do cardio before a show, some do none. Its all how your body responds. Do what you enjoy too. Thats why I do no cardio, can't stand it!!!
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    davypr86 wrote: »

None of the above. The kitchen is the most effective for fat loss.

^5.

I have a friend who did some bodybuilding competitions for a while. We got to talking about our fitness routines and what have you. We were about the same height and had some similar workouts. Her comment, "Yes, exercise can burn off some calories you consume, but really, it's about 90% diet."

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I would say both ...... cardio is a quick way to burn calories .........but strength training help the preservation of muscle which in turns keeps you metabolism fast

^This, but the most important part of fat loss is diet.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    The standard MFP answer is heavy lifting retains the most muscle while a calorie deficit yields the greatest weight loss... so the 2 together = optimal fat loss.

I'm reading more and more that cardio has a similar effect, though my guess is that the duration/intensity of the cardio combined with the size of the deficit (and how long the deficit is maintained) may have some impact.

The only constant here is diet, though.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    you already asked this question and got the same answers OP.