Are blood tests confidential from parents???

Options
124»

Replies

• WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Unless you're trying to hide a pregnancy or AIDS or something sexually transmitted, I can't imagine caring about what my parents thought of my bloodwork, in my 20s. Though admittedly I've never been obese and had bloodwork done, so I don't really even know what measures might be there that are potentially embarrassing. Cholesterol? I think a lot of that is genetic. So don't hide from them, blame them. ;)
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Hippocratic Oath has nothing to do with privacy, it's about "doing no harm," etc., and the wording varies from country to country.

Some countries don't have privacy laws the way we're used to in the U.S. or Europe in the interest of "protecting" the patient. For example, if your elderly father has a slow-growing cancer, it might be considered more humane not to let him know since it would cause him unnecessary worry and he'd probably die of something else anyway. These sorts of attitudes existed in the States not long ago...

HIPPA does have to do with privacy. Any hospital I've worked for strongly enforced it and the health care system I work for now and for the past 7 years is no different. It's protects sensitive patient information. I can't just walk into the ER with my patient and start telling the janitor what is wrong with that patient. Not only can I lose my job but after its reported to the state I can lose my license.

Also, HIPAA is a law. So if you violate it the repercussions could be great.

HIPPA = Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act -- law in the United States

Hippocratic Oath = Oath written by Hippocrates in ancient Greek times, still sacred to physicians: to treat the ill to the best of one's ability, to do no harm, to teach medicine to the next generation, etc. -- global, not required, varies across countries, not law
  • 0somuchbetter0
    Options
    I agree that the OP is being ridiculously coy. He/she has received all the possible advice based on limited information.

There's no debate. Just clarifying the difference bt HIPPA and Hippocratic Oath, which you clearly didn't get initially.
  • 0somuchbetter0
    Options
    OK...since you're always picking fights, I figured it was just more of the same, so I put my gloves on. But if I misunderstood what you misunderstood or misread or whatever, you have my apologies.
  • 0somuchbetter0
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    OK...since you're always picking fights, I figured it was just more of the same, so I put my gloves on. But if I misunderstood what you misunderstood or misread or whatever, you have my apologies.

It's cool but I don't need your apology.

I'm not always picking fights. That's subjective. I do constantly question misinformation. I can't help if people get defensive when their logic fails.

LOL...yeah, ok
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    The UK has strong privacy laws. I'd say more stringent than in the US.
    http://www.gmc-uk.org/guidance/ethical_guidance/confidentiality.asp
  • Aemely
    Aemely Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    HIPPA = Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act -- law in the United States

Hippocratic Oath = Oath written by Hippocrates in ancient Greek times, still sacred to physicians: to treat the ill to the best of one's ability, to do no harm, to teach medicine to the next generation, etc. -- global, not required, varies across countries, not law

Yes, that's why it's "HIPAA" (2 A's) not HIPPA. :smile:

Honestly, I don't think any doctors I've been to in my adult life took the Hippocratic oath very seriously. I think they take the "hand out new pharmaceuticals that get me free goodies" oath. Maybe one day I'll find a good one... :frowning:

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/does-your-doc-have-ties-to-big-pharma-how-youll-be-able-to-find-out/
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options

lol.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Aemely, I have a great doctor, who divides her time in Guatamala to an under-served community. If you need to find a good doctor, maybe you should move to Canada.
  • uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Hippocratic Oath has nothing to do with privacy, it's about "doing no harm," etc., and the wording varies from country to country.

Some countries don't have privacy laws the way we're used to in the U.S. or Europe in the interest of "protecting" the patient. For example, if your elderly father has a slow-growing cancer, it might be considered more humane not to let him know since it would cause him unnecessary worry and he'd probably die of something else anyway. These sorts of attitudes existed in the States not long ago...

"...Whatever, in connection with my professional service, or not in connection with it, I see or hear, in the life of men, which ought not to be spoken of abroad, I will not divulge, as reckoning that all such should be kept secret. While I continue to keep this Oath unviolated, may it be granted to me to enjoy life and the practice of the art, respected by all men, in all times. But should I trespass and violate this Oath, may the reverse be my lot."

It has a lot to do with privacy. In fact, that is one of the big key ideas in the entire oath. The entire basis of doctor patient confidentiality stems from the Oath. I never said it was a law, I said it was based on ethics, and doctors take ethics very seriously. Someone somewhere in this thread decided to misinterpret things.

http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=20909

Hippocratic Oath: One of the oldest binding documents in history, the Oath written by Hippocrates is still held sacred by physicians: to treat the ill to the best of one's ability, to preserve a patient's privacy, to teach the secrets of medicine to the next generation, and so on.