Sodium

Options
Why does MFP allow for so much sodium? It just seems very high to me. Is there any way I can adjust the levels allowed in settings? I can't seem to find a way to reduce sodium allowed and up protein allowed.

Replies

• AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    My Home > Goals > Change Goals > Select "Custom" and click "Continue"
  • sonyambrown510
    Options
    Thank you AJ
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    From the Mayo Clinic (mayoclinic.org/healthy-living/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/in-depth/sodium/art-20045479 ):

"The Dietary Guidelines for Americans recommend limiting sodium to less than 2,300 mg a day — or 1,500 mg if you're age 51 or older, or if you are black, or if you have high blood pressure, diabetes or chronic kidney disease.

Keep in mind that these are upper limits, and less is usually best, especially if you're sensitive to the effects of sodium. If you aren't sure how much sodium your diet should include, talk to your doctor or dietitian."

The MFP default is the upper limit for the average healthy person.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    It is too high. Many doctors (especially cardiologists, lol) are urging people who make general recommendations to drop it to 1500.

Eventually, everyone will bring it down. The wheels move slowly, but it's coming.

Everyone should ask their doctor, of course, but staying under 1500 (or 1200) is a better bet for most of us.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    It is too high. Many doctors (especially cardiologists, lol) are urging people who make general recommendations to drop it to 1500.

Eventually, everyone will bring it down. The wheels move slowly, but it's coming.

Everyone should ask their doctor, of course, but staying under 1500 (or 1200) is a better bet for most of us.

You should stop giving advice as if it were fact. The jury is certainly still out on this.
    Low sodium intake is associated with higher mortality rates.
    Both low sodium intakes and high sodium intakes are associated with increased mortality, consistent with a U-shaped association between sodium intake and health outcomes
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24651634
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Unless you suffer from a medical condition, such as high blood pressure, there really is no rhyme or reason to even track your salt.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    I had to add salt (put it on my boiled egg each AM now) when cut I out the carbs because all the snacks in the break room where heavy in salt. Now my morning leg cramps are gone.
  • Sevendust912
    Sevendust912 Posts: 122 Member
    Options

lol nope, you are wrong
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options

lol nope, you are wrong

According to their website, it appears that the current American Heart Association recommendation for healthy Americans is in fact 1500mg per day.

(On a different part of the website they mention that benefits can be seen by reducing intake to 2400mg, but go on to reiterate that a limit of 1500 is "desirable")

http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/GettingHealthy/NutritionCenter/HealthyEating/Frequently-Asked-Questions-FAQs-About-Sodium_UCM_306840_Article.jsp#mainContent
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options

lol nope, you are wrong

According to their website, it appears that the current American Heart Association recommendation for healthy Americans is in fact 1500mg per day.

(On a different part of the website they mention that benefits can be seen by reducing intake to 2400mg, but go on to reiterate that a limit of 1500 is "desirable")

http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/GettingHealthy/NutritionCenter/HealthyEating/Frequently-Asked-Questions-FAQs-About-Sodium_UCM_306840_Article.jsp#mainContent

There are some new studies that show that at least the conventional wisdom is controversial. I linked one above...
    There are also some studies that show that some people may be more sensitive to sodium than others. As I said, the jury is still out and more study is required.
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    I'm not disagreeing with you. I'm just disagreeing with the response to Kalikel's post.

My point wasn't directed toward what the guidelines should be, or will be, just the fact that Kalikel was not wrong in stating that cardiologists (or at least the largest professional association of cardiologists in America) currently recommend 1500mg a day. It's true. And it doesn't seem like a laughable idea to believe the AHA, even if there's still research ongoing.

Beyond that, I have no clue what the actual optimum intake is. I'll just have to wait and see, like everyone else.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    FredDoyle wrote: »

You should stop giving advice as if it were fact. The jury is certainly still out on this.
    Low sodium intake is associated with higher mortality rates.
    Both low sodium intakes and high sodium intakes are associated with increased mortality, consistent with a U-shaped association between sodium intake and health outcomes
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24651634

Most experts are already recommending 1500, with that 2300 as a maximum for some people...but not black people, those over 50 (or 40, depending on who you ask) or those with different medical issues, not the least of which is cardiovascular issues.

I think that everyone will fall in line. You disagree. We shall see.

There is no disagreement about how much most of us need, and it's about 1/3 or less of that 1500.

Again, I encourage people to ask their doctor what is best for them. Don't make decisions based on anything here, including what I say!
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    I agree there are many factors and the doctors are not in agreement in all cases. Being off of junk food and carbs in general and drinking a gallon of water I was coming up low and needed more salt. The person that drinks soda vs. water may be able to over do it on sodium perhaps?

• sonyambrown510
    Options
    Interesting points made by all, worth me doing some more research.
    I have a skin condition that is affected by too much sodium but have never been given a mg amount to aim for or stay under. Sounds like a trip to the doctors to get some advise :)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    The AHA recommendation seems focused on blood pressure, so I wouldn't worry much if you don't have blood pressure issues or other health issues that caused your doctor to say something.

I'm somewhat skeptical of the recommendation and wondering if it's because there's a belief that sodium is undercounted, because the AHA claims that only 13% of sodium for the average American is from the salt shaker (with 75% from processed foods and 12% from that occurring naturally in foods). But 1 teaspoon of salt is 2300 mgs, so just a few pinches when cooking (which is where I get most of mine) would probably get you over 1500 even without processed foods. I don't eat much high sodium processed stuff, but I see no reason to eliminate salt from cooking (where it makes a real difference in taste IMO) when I have zero problems with blood pressure--I haven't seen any reason for it and my doctor's never said anything.

Also, if you do exercise that leads to sweating, and get a good amount of potassium it will make a difference.