Not happy unless I run/exercising.

Options
NowIFeelYa
NowIFeelYa Posts: 76 Member
edited December 2014 in Fitness and Exercise
I'm clinically depressed, have bi-polar disorder and I have schizoaffective disorder, Im always sad unless I run/lift weights /anything that gives me a good workout. I used to enjoy video games, movies, going to church/ shopping etc now they all seem boring since I cant exercise all of the time what should I do?
Already on meds and disability. only thing I'm missing is a friend/partner and people get tired of talking to me...

Replies

• 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    If I were you, I would find a therapist to talk to. Working out is definitely a good way to raise your spirits, but it is not a cure for depression. And no one on MFP is qualified to help at that level.
  • pineapple_jojo
    pineapple_jojo Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear you're in a bad way - I agree with Jacqueline; it sounds like you need to see a therapist. A combined approach of medication and talking therapy can be really helpful. Good luck.
  • Nicola0000
    Nicola0000 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Of anything that makes you happy, exercise is one of the best things you can do. However if you find this is having a big impact on your life, I think you need to seek professional help, someone that can really help you and understand you. Good luck with everything
  • cindynhderby7
    Options
    I am a runner and running makes me very happy too. Not because it's easy but they call it runners high. It's something that happens to your body when you
    Run. That's why running although is good for you but can come addictive. I agree with the above post maybe you should check with a therapist.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    you have to understand that you can't exercise every minute of every day. and you should take comfort in the fact that you have exercised, and therefore you can enjoy some time sitting down watching a movie or playing a video game.

i mean, even pro athletes have down time.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    NowIFeelYa wrote: »
    I'm clinically depressed, have bi-polar disorder and I have schizoaffective disorder, Im always sad unless I run/lift weights /anything that gives me a good workout. I used to enjoy video games, movies, going to church/ shopping etc now they all seem boring since I cant exercise all of the time what should I do?
    Already on meds and disability. only thing I'm missing is a friend/partner and people get tired of talking to me...

I will use myself for a second. I have also had mental battles that really screw me up. I now realize that being overweight is a symptom of not keeping my mind right. The bold happened to me once and I immediately called someone I trusted in.

Therapist can help. Talking to people in general can help.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    talk to a therapist….

I don't think MFP is going to be a good place to resolve this..
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    Definitely talk to a therapist.

But, vigorous exercise does have effects on neurostransmitters. Your doctor might be able to shed some light on how it might play out in your case.

Just anecdotally, I have found that when I do intense activities that bring my heart rate way up, I sometimes feel a little too "up" for the next while, and find it hard to settle down. Three activities that have had the opposite effect (on me) are yoga (the slow kind), moderately paced swimming and moderate walking outdoors - I suspect (but don't know for sure) that all the oxygen I get from the breathing involved in these activities has a calming effect. Maybe you could try those for a while and see how you feel?

But definitely mention this to your therapist and/or doctor.
  • cindynhderby7
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    talk to a therapist….

I don't think MFP is going to be a good place to resolve this..

I agree 100%
  • veganbettie
    veganbettie Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    since he is on meds he probably does talk to a therapist... Maybe you need to talk to them a bit more? Maybe your meds aren't working right?

I have anxiety, I used to be on anti anxiety medication but i've found that running really helps. That said, if it gets really bad i would jump back on the medication bandwagon really fast. Mental health isn't something to mess with.

Life is really hard to find a balance sometimes, and sometimes we need help, or just a person to talk to. Seems you're just looking for someone to chat with....but i do hope that you mention to your doctor that you're struggling.