Protein amount? ketogenic? mixed approach?

Options
Hi

I need some help with my nutrition!

My history:
I lost 33kg with atkins on 2500kcal about 2 years ago.
My stats: 30 years, 186cm, 131kg, 35%BF

Tried nutritional ketosis then on 1800kcal.....was on 135kg for 3 months... tried everything.. more fat, more kcal, less kcal, less fat, cut nuts, cut cheese, cut sweeteners. Nothing worked... Just really long fasting seem to have risen my blood ketones to MAX 1,0 mml but could never get higher :/

Now I am doing more protein (130g), and less fat (100g), still no carbs... hit the carbs isle last week hard (christmas chocolate).
But dont know if this is good... I know should be more fat for keto but I have seen so many people here with a bit more protein. Also thought so there is more fatburning with less external fat.. Dont know

Or should I try a cardload on the weekends for more RMR/BMR?

What else can I do?? help!
Maybe take fat burners (yohimbine= devils burn)? or amino acids (arginin, leucin, else)??
or CLA for fat oxidation?
or creatine for testosterone?

How high can I go protein wise?
Do I need even more protein? like 200g?
Do I need the 100g fat?
Its still all about calories?! How big can the deficit be?

Do I need to get refeeds if not working out?!

I just dont know anymore :/
Just wanna get rid of the fat :/

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    How about just figuring out your TDEE, reduce by 15-20%, and keep at it?
  • SexyKatherine73
    SexyKatherine73 Posts: 221 Member
    Options

agrees :smile:

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options
    It generally boils down to counting calories accurately and removing or cutting back on trigger foods. If low carb does that then do that, if it doesn't seem to help then get a scale and weight your food and try to eat at a measured deficit. Not rocket surgery.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options

Yeah, I don't see the point in overcomplicating all of this. Really, it's all about the math and being consistent and patient. My guess is you've just been bouncing around from fad to fad which is why it isn't working.
  • nosebag1212
    nosebag1212 Posts: 621 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    no point in keto unless you have some type of metabolic disorder or just generally prefer eating that way, there is zero fat loss benefit over a carb based diet of the same caloric deficit
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    There's no magic to carb percentage if you're not eating at an appropriate caloric deficit. There's not even a need to limit carbs unless it's your personal preference. As stated upstream, find out your TDEE, subtract 15% to 20%, and go from there.

So many low carbers fail because they miss the whole bit about restricting calories. There's no magic to simply cutting carbs if you replace all those carb calories with fat and protein calories in equal amounts.
  • Brolympus
    Brolympus Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Endlessly varying around your macros is not going to help. You just need to drop your calories, plain and simple. Make sure you are weighing your food properly too, you might be eating more than you think.

Only time macro ratios are actually important is when you are building muscle and in a calorie surplus. You still need healthy amounts of everything when losing weight, but just not as important to hit "x" grams of protein as it is to be in a calorie deficit.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Did you try all of that stuff within 3 months? Generally, when you adjust something, you want to give it 4-6 weeks before adjusting.

If you want to do keto, then I generally see 5% carbs, 30% protein and 65% fats. But you still want to be accurate with your counting. So do you use a food scale and do you log daily?
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    See your doctor and get a referral to a dietitian. The weight loss thing is really not all that complicated. Those two visits will set you up with a plan that works for you, specifically. You won't have to wonder if you're doing it right, because you'll know you are. :)
  • eraser51
    eraser51 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    @‌kalikel
    well I had hoped it would be this easy... but the docs all recommend low fat dietitians which didnt work before.

@psulemon‌
    nah I tried it easily over 6 months to further adjust the diet.. so the stall continues... so to say :/

but there is no starvation mode right?
  • jrose1982
    jrose1982 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you're on information overload to me - trying too many different recommendations. What I would do in your shoes, is pick a book - if you want to do low-carb, start with Atkins - and follow the diet plan strictly for two months. Do this to simplify the information. Then figure out if you need to make adjustments.

The most likely adjustment will be to your calorie intake. Use an online calculator to estimate how many calories to eat. Then start dropping in increments of 50 (for a few weeks at each level) until you start losing again. The calculators are not always correct for everybody, so your problem might be as simple as eating too much.

In another forum, somebody talked about having a doctor do a metabolism test to estimate their calorie needs. If you can get this done, that will be more accurate than the online calculators.

Going too low on carbs can be troublesome because you need vegetables.
    Going too high on protein can cause problems. I don't know how high is too high. The only recommendation I've ever been able to find on this matter is 35% of total calories for the upper limit. That wasn't from a very reliable source, either. But it's all I could find.

You need to eat fat. Pick your total calories, your carb limit, and your protein target. What's left in your calories tells you how much fat you need. If you end up decreasing your calories, the decrease will probably result in less fat. This is because you need enough vegetables - and these have carbs - and you need so much protein to maintain/build muscle. So the macro that's easiest to adjust is fat.

If you want to do low-carb, then join a low-carb group so you can get advice from other low-carbers. This will help because you'll get less variety in answers, so it will be easier to avoid information overload and conflicting recommendations.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    eraser51 wrote: »
    Hi

I need some help with my nutrition!

My history:
    I lost 33kg with atkins on 2500kcal about 2 years ago.
    My stats: 30 years, 186cm, 131kg, 35%BF

Tried nutritional ketosis then on 1800kcal.....was on 135kg for 3 months... tried everything.. more fat, more kcal, less kcal, less fat, cut nuts, cut cheese, cut sweeteners. Nothing worked... Just really long fasting seem to have risen my blood ketones to MAX 1,0 mml but could never get higher :/

Now I am doing more protein (130g), and less fat (100g), still no carbs... hit the carbs isle last week hard (christmas chocolate).
    But dont know if this is good... I know should be more fat for keto but I have seen so many people here with a bit more protein. Also thought so there is more fatburning with less external fat.. Dont know

Or should I try a cardload on the weekends for more RMR/BMR?

What else can I do?? help!
    Maybe take fat burners (yohimbine= devils burn)? or amino acids (arginin, leucin, else)??
    or CLA for fat oxidation?
    or creatine for testosterone?

How high can I go protein wise?
    Do I need even more protein? like 200g?
    Do I need the 100g fat?
    Its still all about calories?! How big can the deficit be?

Do I need to get refeeds if not working out?!

I just dont know anymore :/
    Just wanna get rid of the fat :/

eraser51 based off the numbers where you lost weight you may need about 1800+ daily to be from Fat and the balance from protein if you want to try nutritional ketosis. Fat has to make up 75-80% of your daily calories to even attempt nutritional ketosis.

I agree you may be over thinking this diet stuff. Pick one diet and master the understanding of how it works. Most all diets work at some level.

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Throw it all out

Eat at a calorie defecit

Lose weight

And feel sane :smile:
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Throw it all out

Eat at a calorie defecit

Lose weight

And feel sane :smile:

yessum! OP your first post made my head spin lol
    Keep it simple :D

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    eraser51 wrote: »
    @‌kalikel
    well I had hoped it would be this easy... but the docs all recommend low fat dietitians which didnt work before.

@psulemon‌
    nah I tried it easily over 6 months to further adjust the diet.. so the stall continues... so to say :/

but there is no starvation mode right?
    Do you use a food scale and do you log consistently?