What 2000 calories is at a popular chain- New York Times

Options
This made me deeply regret last week's shake shack burger, and that was only a single! Yeesh!

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/12/22/upshot/what-2000-calories-looks-like.html?_r=0&abt=0002&abg=1

Replies

• msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    I have to say that the "At Home" options look far more appetising to me.

Except for the Steak & Martini perhaps.

The volume of food for 2,000 calories also seems remarkably low. No wonder some people can rack up calories so quickly eating out at these places.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    reading that just made me hungry!
  • squirrelzzrule22
    squirrelzzrule22 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    msf74 wrote: »

The volume of food for 2,000 calories also seems remarkably low. No wonder some people can rack up calories so quickly eating out at these places.

Right? The Volume does seem low. It has got to be all cooking oils. I can't think of how else the calories would get so ridiculously high!
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    msf74 wrote: »

Right? The Volume does seem low. It has got to be all cooking oils. I can't think of how else the calories would get so ridiculously high!

Maybe you can't get a good idea of the portion sizes from the photos? They might be massive!

Having said that it seems like lots of calories are racked up with the drinks as well...

• sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    That and the items that contain flour - because the wheat kernel is pulverized you can fit many more calories into a single serving, be it pasta, bread, dumplings, cookies, breading, tortillas, pancakes - are you sensing the trend?

And that steak is at least 16oz - and I used to eat them that size - now I eat 4oz and smother it in sauteed mushrooms and onions.

But it does show that it's hard to judge the amount of calories you are ingesting when you eat out unless you are paying attention.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I thought about sharing this link on facebook but I'm pretty sure a lot of people would get all offended, lol...the gigantic shake from Sonic is the one that a lot of my friends would probably freak out about. I wish they had mentioned the Sonic slushes, too. Disgusting (to me) even without knowing the calorie count on those...but yeah.
  • squirrelzzrule22
    Options
    I thought about sharing this link on facebook but I'm pretty sure a lot of people would get all offended, lol...the gigantic shake from Sonic is the one that a lot of my friends would probably freak out about. I wish they had mentioned the Sonic slushes, too. Disgusting (to me) even without knowing the calorie count on those...but yeah.

Hah I have never been to a Sonic (they aren't in my area) but I was pretty blown away by that shake too!!

I sent the link to my boyfriend and his only response was YUMM I WANT IT ALL!!
  • squirrelzzrule22
    Options
    ALSO this conversation cannot go any further without EVERYONE looking at this:
    http://hellogiggles.com/baby-opossums-eating-morning-watermelon