Any swimmers out there?

Options
Hey all,

I have swam ever since I was young. I just am getting back into it and I was wondering what you guys are doing for your swims. I can do a 50 no problem but anything after that and I feel like I am dying. Any tips!?

Replies

• kinmad4it
    kinmad4it Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    50 minutes, laps, meters?
  • CaseG710
    Options
    50 meters. It was a rough start but I love it. Did around 300 m then tread water for 10 minutes.
  • YoshiCow
    YoshiCow Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    i love swimming, have done since I was younger.

I usually go 3-4 times a week. Do around 34-40 lengths (25m) in 45 minutes. I do 6 breast stroke, 4 back stroke, 2 breast, 8 back, 2 breast, 8 back, 4-10 breast.

This way when I start feeling like I'm dying I do breast, but also do breast to warm up/cool down.
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    My swims are between 1300 and 2000 depending on training schedule. The thing is, is not about fitness so much as it is about technique if you're gasping after a 50. You've just lost your feel for the water.
  • liveyenna
    liveyenna Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I also looove swimming! Lately I allow myself only to go the 1 hour shift instead of the 3 hour shift at the pool because it's a hard time to come out of the water. I just want to keep swimming.

But back to you; Do you have other sport activities or is this the only one you really started with? If it is the only sport you do, I would say you just take it slowly. Your muscles need time to grow and if they were inactive for a long time its wise to take it slowly to prevent injuries. Also spare energy in the water. Don't try to swim as fast as you can immediately but instead try to get a little further than those 50 meters. Maybe your slower but you are going further than when you go as fast as possible and going further is growing, right? Also listen to your body and eat enough vegetables, fruit, protein etc to give your body the vitamins/minerals it needs to make those strong muscles!
  • CaseG710
    Options
    YoshiCow wrote: »
    i love swimming, have done since I was younger.

I usually go 3-4 times a week. Do around 34-40 lengths (25m) in 45 minutes. I do 6 breast stroke, 4 back stroke, 2 breast, 8 back, 2 breast, 8 back, 4-10 breast.

This way when I start feeling like I'm dying I do breast, but also do breast to warm up/cool down.

I also love breast stroke to warm up and cool down. It is relaxing to me but I always feel so slow.
  • CaseG710
    Options
    My swims are between 1300 and 2000 depending on training schedule. The thing is, is not about fitness so much as it is about technique if you're gasping after a 50. You've just lost your feel for the water.

I am just really out of shape. I swam competively all throughout my school career. I just can't hold up to my current pace but I physically cannot slow myself down because I still have the competitive aspect in me.
  • CaseG710
    Options
    liveyenna wrote: »
    I also looove swimming! Lately I allow myself only to go the 1 hour shift instead of the 3 hour shift at the pool because it's a hard time to come out of the water. I just want to keep swimming.

But back to you; Do you have other sport activities or is this the only one you really started with? If it is the only sport you do, I would say you just take it slowly. Your muscles need time to grow and if they were inactive for a long time its wise to take it slowly to prevent injuries. Also spare energy in the water. Don't try to swim as fast as you can immediately but instead try to get a little further than those 50 meters. Maybe your slower but you are going further than when you go as fast as possible and going further is growing, right? Also listen to your body and eat enough vegetables, fruit, protein etc to give your body the vitamins/minerals it needs to make those strong muscles!

I could swim all day I just want to build my cardio. I don't get sore or tense up muscle wise it is just my air flow I am having a hard time with. I hate being out of breath and not able to keep swimming.

• ajcamber
    ajcamber Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    If you are looking for something new you can try www.swimplan.com. They give you free swim workouts daily or you can sign up and get swim workouts taylored more to you. I just use the free workouts to mix things up.
  • CaseG710
    Options
    Thanks! I love it.
  • gentlygently
    gentlygently Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    There is a group on mfp for us lot - called 'swimmers!' - if you haven't done already, jump on in...! Lots of levels/ encouragement/advice...
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    I like to swim, but usually only get to do it in the public pool during the summer. I don't count laps, just time it to 30min. My best stroke is breast stroke, but I am trying to better my freestyle. I freestyle until out of breath, then use breast stroke as my recovery. Think of your swimming kind of like running, you have to go slower and focus on your breathing, and add time and distance in small increments each week.
  • sheepotato
    sheepotato Posts: 600 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    There is a group on mfp for us lot - called 'swimmers!' - if you haven't done already, jump on in...! Lots of levels/ encouragement/advice...

Yep right over here community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/122-swimmers the people in the group seem nice.

Hey there! I just got back into swimming early this summer after not swimming since the high school swim team. I've been swimming 50 minutes 5 days a week, don't get discouraged the first time I got back in the pool I had to rest every few laps but then I was back up to 20 and then 50 minute sessions within a few days. (I can't go over 50 currently because of acid reflux but that should go away soon and maybe I can go for longer.) Anyway something that really helped me get back into was getting some beginner training tools. Ask around in the swimmer's group for what's helped out others. I've seen a few getting back into it posts.

These are totally worth it, they make you hold your arms correctly for strokes and your catch will improve the first time you wear them. They are a nice refresher if you don't have someone to check out your technique. (I can not find an adult swim lesson at all, maybe because it's been fall/winter.) amazon.com/FINIS-1-05-028-Forearm-Fulcrum/dp/B001GQ2CJE

I also picked up a pair of fins, and my gym has kickboards and hand fins for use so it helped me try to figure out where I was lacking after being out of practice for many years.

It's a little discouraging and encouraging at the same time to see my lap times greatly decrease when I change the smallest little thing in my stroke. I'm sure that'll happen a bit as you get back into it.
  • veronakings
    Options

I freestyle until out of breath, then use breast stroke as my recovery
    lol I definitely do this, too.