Exercise and weight gain questions PLEASE HELP

Options
pbandz
pbandz Posts: 128 Member
I'm having serious problems here.
I lost all 10 pounds and recently went on vacation and returned. I weighed myself the first few days after and was 2-3 pounds heavier which didn't surprise me. But for the past 4 days I've weighed in over 6 pounds higher and I have been doing a 1hour workout every evening on my elliptical trainer . Each evening the machine says I've burned 1,000 or so calories, I realize it could be off by anywhere around 30%, but I still burned a lot. I'm going up and I'm getting really unhappy. I've gained weight and I feel fat again unlike when I originally was down 10 pounds. ( I'm not overweight. I was 130, then 119, now 125) I made great food choices today until I got to work and was offered a shake and accepted it. That boosted my calories 1,000 and now I feel stupid. I feel obligated to workout but at the same time I feel like working out isn't doing me any good. I just feel kind of negative. Is it my diet? I just haven't been nearly as happy as I had been more recently. I don't know if this makes sense to anyone but I really want to hear everyone's opinions, I feel like I'm falling apart. Thanks.

Replies

• herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    What's your calorie goal? Are you reaching it? If you're burning 1,000ish calories do you eat them back or are you doing TDEE-%?
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    Have you been working out more or more intensely than usual? That can cause water retention.
  • sweebum
    sweebum Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    You're retaining water from the exercising. It will go down in a week or so.
  • pbandz
    Options
    With the workout I reach my goal but beforehand I am very high above. My goal is 1200 and lately I've been eating well over that like today at almost 2400. Ugh I stuffed myself a lot on vacation and my stomach grew and now I can eat more I guess. Would my body really retain 3-4 pounds because of a workout in water.. For 3 days..
  • sweebum
    Options
    Your body can retain more than that..like 10 lbs. Just continue your deficit, it will equal out. If you say screw it, it will just set you back and frustrate you more. Stay the course.
  • pbandz
    Options
    Stay the course it'll be: ill keep up this workout and ill continue to try and eat her bier and next time turn down that shake. I got 10 pounds why can't I get 5.
  • bevmcarthur
    bevmcarthur Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    well if you went from 1200 to now eating 2400 that could be why you have gained
  • sweebum
    Options
    Stay the course it'll be: ill keep up this workout and ill continue to try and eat her bier and next time turn down that shake. I got 10 pounds why can't I get 5.

The closer you get to goal, the harder and slower it will be. Trust the process. You won't lose a specific amount every week, some weeks you will lose more than others. Eating 2400 instead of the 1200 you have been, would result in a massive water retention problem. Add extra exercise to that? Certain gain. It's not fat. That's all you worry about.
  • pbandz
    Options
    now i believe the reason I've been eating much more is due to my massive exercise increase. I do an hour of intense working out and I walk 10,000 steps a day. I also work at McDonald's and am on my feet. Now today I was very high over due to my caving in to a shake. 1,000 calories due to that. Otherwise I would usually be under 2,000.