Why weight training is better for your waistline than running

Options
2»

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    The headline doesn't match the content of article very well....

"Combining weight training with aerobic exercise led to even better results, the study found."
    "To maintain a healthy weight and waistline, it is critical to incorporate weight training with aerobic exercise."

Why can't we have both?

Pretty much this...both are important and I think most people who've had not only success losing weight, but the composition they're looking for do both.

I will say that there are a lot of people who say they want X body though...but don't want to do the resistance training to get it. Ultimately, resistance work is pretty important to getting the body that many people claim they want...you don't get all "toned" crash dieting and spending endless hour on cardio equipment. Gotta pump the iron...
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    The study was also only on men.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Nobody in this thread said anything negative about resistance training.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    The OP seems to have gone quiet, busy talking to all the most successful MFP lifters no doubt.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    It appears so many people are not giving weight/resistance training the respect it deserves when it comes to improving cardiac output and strengthening of the heart itself including the effectiveness of its chambers.
    Actually a lot of people are saying do both rather than saying weight training won't benefit your heart.

The OP has a silly bias not supported by the article referenced which isn't a great way to start a debate.
    Also success needs to be defined by each individual's needs and goals not one person's view of "very successful people on MFP", whatever that means.

Both you and I have had success according to our own goals but because they are different our training is different.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    No reason you can't do both moderately well, no matter what anyone will try to tell you. Will you be a champion marathon runner and a champion power lifter? Well, no. But let's face it - you probably weren't going to be either of those things anyway.

I've been getting into shape for two years now. This year I ran a 6:30 mile, rode a half century, completed an Olympic distance triathlon, and just this morning hit a 365lb deadlift (2.25x body weight). This weekend I hope to bench 1.25x bw, and squat 1.5x bw.

Now these aren't mind blowing numbers, but I'll wager I'm healthier overall than someone who has only focused solely on either conditioning or resistance out of some bizarre belief that one is better than the other overall.
  • Mediocrates55
    Mediocrates55 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    esjones12 wrote: »
    Keep hating on cardio all you want. When zombies invade I'll be able to out run you all ;)

*grin* And I'll do even better.

Zombies can't swim.

Zombies may not be able to swim, but I don't think the can drown either!
    Good god, none of us are safe...
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    Keep hating on cardio all you want. When zombies invade I'll be able to out run you all ;)

Zombies can't swim.

They can swim and try to eat sharks
    zombie-shark-attack-cult-movies-download.gif

• DymonNdaRgh40
    DymonNdaRgh40 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    hill8570 wrote: »
    I think the best take-away from the article is the line "Combining weight training with aerobic exercise led to even better results...". No arguments there...both have their place.

Yep! I enjoy doing both.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    The best exercise is the one you do. I don't care for weight training, so I don't do as much of it. So, if I relied on weight training alone, I wouldn't lose much weight.
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    eric_sg61 wrote: »

Zombies can't swim.

They can swim and try to eat sharks
    zombie-shark-attack-cult-movies-download.gif

Well, that's a buzzkill...
  • peter56765
    peter56765 Posts: 352 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    This is from a post a friend made on a different site:

Cardio vs weights for heart health (if you had to pick just one)

The big four risk areas for cardiovascular health are:

- Fat loss: As we all know it's about calories. Resistance training is at least as effective in the short term, and given it's ability to change body composition as well, resistance training wins. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12439085
    Nothing in there about resistance training changing body composition resulting in a 'win'

"CONCLUSION: In men, resistance exercise has a similar effect on 24-h EE and macronutrient oxidation as a comparable bout of aerobic exercise. Neither exercise produced an increase in 24-h fat oxidation above that observed on a nonexercise control day"

- Blood lipids: Low or moderadate cardio does pretty much nothing. Resistance training reduces bad cholesterol, high intensity cardio improves good cholesterol. No clear winner, both are beneficial. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18974201
    That's not quite what the article says:

"High-intensity aerobic training results in improvement in high-density lipoprotein cholesterol. For resistance and combined exercise, the results are inconsistent. The heterogeneity between the types of exercise did not allow reliable comparisons."

- Blood pressure: Cardio generally has a bit of an edge here, but resistance training shows benefits as well. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15662209
    The article looked only at resistance training and was inconclusive.

"Our results suggest that moderate intensity resistance training is not contraindicated and could become part of the non-pharmacological intervention strategy to prevent and combat high blood pressure. However, additional studies are needed, especially in the hypertensive population."

- Glucose metabolism: Resistance training is a clear winner over cardio for glucose control (the single biggest factor IMO): http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/29/11/2518.full
    Again, the article does not support your conclusion as to a 'clear winner.'

"All forms of exercise training produce small benefits in the main measure of glucose control: A1C. The effects are similar to those of dietary, drug, and insulin treatments. The clinical importance of combining these treatments needs further research.

Of the 14 studies in the meta-analysis of Boulé et al. (6), 12 used aerobic training and 2 used resistance training. Some physiological adaptations to resistance training differ from those of aerobic training, so their effects on glucose control may differ (7). Boulé et al. (6) found little difference between effects of aerobic and resistance training, but there were insufficient studies of resistance training for this finding to be anything more than tentative. "
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Personally, I do both, as they both serve a purpose for me.
  • Lalalindaloo
    Lalalindaloo Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    When zombies invade I'll be able to out run you all ;)

^^^^ Why I run.

I'm sure loving my weight training too though. Bet the zombies will hate it when I can chop 'em.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    The best exercise is the one you do. I don't care for weight training, so I don't do as much of it. So, if I relied on weight training alone, I wouldn't lose much weight.

This! I hate lifting. I still do it but I'd rather do dishes, frankly, so it's probably not doing me that much good because there's no way I'm lifting weights for 30 minutes. I don't mind doing cardio every day for 30 to 60 minutes (running, well before I busted my foot doing that, elliptical, spinning, walking at an incline). At least I'm doing SOMETHING.

• CodeMonkey78
    CodeMonkey78 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    "Why weight training is better for your waistline than running" <
    Most of the very successful people on MFP have been saying this for a long time. Here's the link to this article: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/active/11310141/Why-weight-training-is-better-for-your-waistline-than-running.html

Wow..

1. Study was done on men only.
    2. Diet or Caloric intake was never mentioned.

Sounds like a pretty comprehensive study.. :smile:

Do both. Each has their own benefit.