I lost more when I didn't work as hard?

Options
2»

Replies

• cameramanbj
    cameramanbj Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Doesn't they type of exercise matter? Burning fat building muscle, from what I have read and think experienced you can get slimmer but gain lean muscle and weight. I know when I slowed down on my cardio I stayed around the same weight for a month or so, +-2lbs but got much stronger. My pants kept getting looser . . .
  • cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I would think its the cardio based on your description. Excessive cardio can cause stress which can cause fat storing. if anything, if you HAVE to work out, do weights or circuits (cardio/weight/cardio). otherwise just turn it back. 30 minutes a day is generally considered minimal for cardio, then add on as tolerated
  • cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    cindytw wrote: »
    I would think its the cardio based on your description. Excessive cardio can cause stress which can cause fat storing. if anything, if you HAVE to work out, do weights or circuits (cardio/weight/cardio). otherwise just turn it back. 30 minutes a day is generally considered minimal for cardio, then add on as tolerated

How does stress cause fat storing?

Seriously??? look it up.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

Seriously??? look it up.

Your assertion, you prove it. Sounds like nonsense to me.

Must be why all these (minimum) hour long sessions I'm doing are causing so much gain... or perhaps not...
  • sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    The "water weight" explanation doesn't answer the question, even if one accepts the premise that exercise is accompanied by water retention. Water retention may explain a short term change following beginning or stopping exercise, but it doesn't explain the long term plateau the OP experienced.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options

Seriously??? look it up.

Yes, seriously. You said excessive cardio causes stress which can lead to fat storage. Tell me how can that directly lead to fat storage. Go look it up is not answer.

Also, Cortisol isn't the answers either because if elevated Cortisol causes you to have a hormone imbalance and you over eat due to that then the fat storage is a direct result of CI > CO.

That is true, the cortisol causes insulin resistance, but eating more is not the only factor. Cortisol causes triglycerides to move to visceral fat. There are also other molecular processes where the cortisol affects the adipose tissue.

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    The "water weight" explanation doesn't answer the question, even if one accepts the premise that exercise is accompanied by water retention. Water retention may explain a short term change following beginning or stopping exercise, but it doesn't explain the long term plateau the OP experienced.

short term loss = water retention loss

long term plateau - inaccurate logging…

• xruss7
    xruss7 Posts: 9
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    You ate more. You obviously ate too little when you were exercising vigorously . If you eat too little you won't lose weight. Read about BMR (basal metabolic rate) and TDEE (total daily energy expenditure. You should not eat below your BMR.

No!

There is some truth about not eating below your BMR...but it's true that you will lose weight eventually if you under-eat.

BUT you are also stressing your body a lot by so much cardio and they have found that this will keep you from losing weight quite at the pace you'd expect. Cut back on the cardio, eat a bit more and see what happens.

Yeah this is what I did. Helped A BUNCH. Thanks everyone.