Fat Caliper

Options
Thought I'd post this here because... knowledgeable people?

Anyhoo, I'm looking to buy a caliper for home (preferably from Amazon because gift cards), and there are a buttload of them out there. Does it really make a difference if I buy the $5 vs. the $25 one? Anyone have any experience with purchasing/owning/using a caliper?

#overthinking #obviously

Replies

• PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    I've never used, but my understanding is that the administration of the calipers is more important than the quality. Get a cheaper set and really read up on how exactly to measure.
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    They will both be prone to big errors due user error. Mirors and Tape measures are much better.

Agreed with this.
  • PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    xcalygrl wrote: »
    They will both be prone to big errors due user error. Mirors and Tape measures are much better.

Agreed with this.

Honestly, that's what I do. And bodpod.
  • xcalygrl
    Options
    PwrLftr82 wrote: »

Agreed with this.

Honestly, that's what I do. And bodpod.

Same here. Mirrors/pictures (side by side photo collages are awesome), tape measure, and bodpods.
  • 52cardpickup
    52cardpickup Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Mirrors = a bit of a problem for me. I have body image problems (not significantly, just enough to impede my ability to figure out bf%). Any tips for that?

I've been using a measuring tape, but thought that I'd add in calipers for more data collection. I'm starting to think that it's probably not the best route, based on your responses.

Perhaps said gift cards would be better spent going to a bodpod?
  • xcalygrl
    Options
    Mirrors = a bit of a problem for me. I have body image problems (not significantly, just enough to impede my ability to figure out bf%). Any tips for that?

I've been using a measuring tape, but thought that I'd add in calipers for more data collection. I'm starting to think that it's probably not the best route, based on your responses.

Mirrors are an issue for me too, which is why I take progress pictures then put them side by side in a collage. I can notice a difference when I look at pictures, but not when I look in the mirror (mainly because I see my body day in and day out).

Are you a member of the Eat, Train, Progress group on here? Sidesteel and Saruska will give you body fat estimates if you provide them pictures. They are pretty accurate as well. I had them estimate mine, and they were only 0.4% off from what the bodpod gave me.
    (group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/10118-eat-train-progress
    Body fat thread: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/826435/bodyfat-estimation-thread/p1)
  • 52cardpickup
    Options

Mirrors are an issue for me too, which is why I take progress pictures then put them side by side in a collage. I can notice a difference when I look at pictures, but not when I look in the mirror (mainly because I see my body day in and day out).

Are you a member of the Eat, Train, Progress group on here? Sidesteel and Saruska will give you body fat estimates if you provide them pictures. They are pretty accurate as well. I had them estimate mine, and they were only 0.4% off from what the bodpod gave me.
    (group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/10118-eat-train-progress
    Body fat thread: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/826435/bodyfat-estimation-thread/p1)

Thanks, I was already a member but I posted in the bf% estimation thread. I'm going to book an appointment with BodPod too, but it'd be nice to have an estimate from them as well. I know SS and Sarah are probably super busy with the holidays!
  • nicoleromine
    nicoleromine Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I'd get the cheap calipers. I take that measurement, three estimates from body measurement formulas (Modified YMCA, DOD, and Covert), and average them all out. For me, it gives a decent estimate of my Body Fat. I live out in the middle of nowhere, so making it to a big city for a DEXA scan or Body Pod is nearly impossible. I also love tracking data and spreadsheets, so it's just plain fun!
  • Jams009
    Jams009 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    It's very difficult to get an accurate bf%; most at home methods are pretty rubbish, but can give you a general idea.

You can also get scales that measure your bodyfat %, they aren't too expensive and will give you another reading to go by.

I currently use some scales to monitor mine, and I've also ordered some calipers to get another reading; I'll probably use an average between the two.

• suppakana
    suppakana Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I use fat calipers when I take my regular measurements (first of every month). The trick is to read up on how to use them properly, but more importantly to make sure you use them the same way every time. Most of the issues with fat caliper readings is irregularity. If you measure using calipers on the left side of your stomach one month, by first squeezing the skin with your fingers then applying the calipers, then measure the following month on the right side of your stomach by applying the calipers to your skin and squeezing, you're going to have vastly different measurements.

Even if you're not using them "correctly," if you use them consistently they can show trend.

Quality isn't terribly important; go for the cheap set.
  • iammajid1
    Options
    Hello friends :D
  • 52cardpickup
    Options
    I did the bod pod testing this weekend! Quick and easy, and now I have a good estimate of where I sit. Going to buy the calipers too, still, so I can keep track while I continue to work toward my goal. I posted in the Body Fat Estimation thread in E.T.P., but haven't heard anything back yet.

I think this is a great start. Thanks for the advice, everyone!
  • KingRat79
    KingRat79 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I find that calipers give me a consistent reading but it's constantly inaccurate. Using caliper usually gives me a reading that is about 5% to low. if you don't get to hung up on the final % I find that it can be a usful way of tracking change over time, (particularly if its combined with regular weigh ins.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    I use calipers along with mirror and tape. All have issues but getting a consistent method will gives decent results since you will look more at the delta than the absolute.
  • feralX
    feralX Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I've found these the best of the bunch for cheap calipers.
    Sequoia Fitness Products USA Warrior Digital Body Fat/Mass Caliper
    Amazon has them for about $25. I don't think they give a true body fat measurement, always reads low IMO, but as long as you're consistent they are useful in tracking mm of body fat so you know if you're losing or gaining fat.
  • 52cardpickup
    Options
    I'd rather have calipers that give a consistent reading than the junk scale I have that's been telling me I'm at the exact same bf% as I was 10 pounds ago. Also, it's 9% points off from what the bod pod said. I'll definitely use measurements as well, and I'll look into the Sequoia Digital caliper too!
  • Walter__
    Walter__ Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I have the cheap $5 one you're talking about: http://www.amazon.com/Accu-Measure-Fitness-3000-Personal-Tester/dp/B000G7YW74/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1420079210&sr=8-1&keywords=accumeasure+3000

It seems really inaccurate to me. It's giving a crazy low reading of 11% bodyfat, when in reality I am around 16%. I make sure not to cheat myself when I take my measurements. I really dig in and get all the fat, but even then it constantly gives me the same low readings.

So I actually just bought this one yesterday: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B2MIDDQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Got it for $10 w/ free Prime shipping, should be here Friday. I will test it when I get it and see if it's closer to 16% than the other cheap one.