How long before seeing results from changing calorie goal?

Options
I recently upped my calories (to see how much I can eat without gaining, or gaining a little when I reach the top end). I'm wondering how long most people would wait, before coming to a conclusion about the calories?

So far, my weight immediately dropped 3lbs (water I presume) the first week, then went back up to where I started, (then was t.o.m. & I didn't weigh), then up by .4, then back down by the same .4.....so, actually no change so far.

It's been the last 9 days of CONSISTENTLY eating above 2800, and before that I was AVERAGING above 2500 for 11 days (only 3 of those days eating under, but within 100-120 under).

Has it been long enough that I can assume that my TDEE is at least 2800?

Thanks!!

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I wait at least 3-4 weeks to see any sort of actual changes... you can assume immediate gains are water weight/glycogen refills.
  • cjames010
    cjames010 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    From what I've read so far, wait about 4 weeks.
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    I wait at least 3-4 weeks to see any sort of actual changes... you can assume immediate gains are water weight/glycogen refills.

This.
  • FromHereOnOut
    FromHereOnOut Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    Okay, great. So, it's been 3 1/2 weeks, so far, at increased calories (>2400). Not even 2 weeks yet at the highest number.

So, I could probably confirm at least 2400, but wait a little longer at the higher amount.

So, do you mean that it's best practice to wait that long (~4wks) because conceivably my weight could still "jump", if the 2800 is too high for me? Seems strange, b/c idk how that could actually happen (I mean I'm either burning it or storing it daily, right?)

• VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,937 Member
    Options
    The EM2WL group has really good explanations about how this works. You could check it out.
  • FromHereOnOut
    FromHereOnOut Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    The EM2WL group has really good explanations about how this works. You could check it out.

Thanks. I'll look into it.