Emergency hungry meal?

Options

Replies

• TopazCutie
    TopazCutie Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Chicken and corn soup, with our without actual chicken. I keep homemade chicken stock in 500ml containers in the freezer. Thaw one in a saucepan with a can of creamed corn and a frozen chicken wing or two, or a thigh or a breast (if I have them). When it's simmering I add a raw egg and stir it through.

forgot about this. LOVE THIS SOUP!!
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    Tomato soup and toasted cheese. (Tomato soup: canned tomatoes, olive oil, basil, garlic. I put all of that in a pot and use my immersion blender to make it smooth as it heats.)
  • shandy82165
    shandy82165 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Hummus and pita chips or crunchy bread sticks. This will take the edge off the hunger for me so I won't be tempted to eat everything in the fridge.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Some of these sound way too annoying/complex to be an emergency meal. More like...regular dinner. At least the home made soup.
  • squishprincess
    squishprincess Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    eat pb on a spoon/shove couple of handfuls of kettle corn in my mouth while i figure out what the quickest laziest thing i can make is (usually canned soup or instant rice noodles/miso lol)
  • LifeInTheBikeLane
    LifeInTheBikeLane Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Baked eggs over low calorie wheat bread, spinach and lunch meat.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    Misslove36 wrote: »
    Misslove36 wrote: »
    Chicken quesadilla usually. I keep cooked chicken in the freezer most of the time.
    How do you make these?

Can you cook ready cooked chicken straight from the freezer?

I soak it in lukewarm water for a bit to help thaw, or use the microwave if I'm super hungry.

I just get a tortilla, cut up the chicken, toss in some cheese and throw it in a frying pan. You don't even need to add butter or anything. Everything gets all melty and delicious.

I have never had these, they sound nice, where can I find a nice low calorie recipe please

You don't really need a recipe.

I take two small tortillas (110 cals each), put one face down in the frying pan (medium heat). Sprinkle cheese (about two ounces of cheddar, 200ish calories) and cooked chicken (2 ounces, roughly 75 calories) - then I put the other tortilla on top. Let warm 4-5 minutes, until cheese starts to melt, and flip. Let cook another 4-5 minutes, and it's done.

I'll also throw some vegetables in, or a different sort of meat, or a different cheese blend. It's really up to you.
  • arditarose
    Options
    ^^She's never had a quesadilla?
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

Maybe I didn't describe it well enough?
  • arditarose
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

Maybe I didn't describe it well enough?

Maybe? Anyway, yum. Didn't know you could make them so low cal. Though that wouldn't be enough food for me.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    I cook my dinners for the week in one or two sittings and keep it in the freezer. Tuna with eggs are usually my go to if I don't feel like eating my premade stuff, cooking, or going out.
  • softblondechick
    softblondechick Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    Eggs. If too tired for eggs, canned soup, or cereal.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    - eggs
    - a hunk of ham and bread (no spread or anything, just some ham wedged into a slice of bread)
    - cottage cheese and nuts
    - seriously desperate and on the way home: pizza slice
  • blueakama
    blueakama Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    We can usually pull together a tuna salad. Sometimes we add boiled eggs.
  • mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    Options
    I cook a pot of something on the weekend and will just heat up some of that (beans, soup, lentils, etc.). Often when reheating I'll chuck in some fresh veggies, nuts, raisins, cheese, turkey, whatever I have on hand.

Reheat some scrambled egg muffins,, eat as is or make an egg sandwich

Turkey sandwich with a salad (I alway have fresh veggies on hand) and some fruit

Hot cereal or oatmeal

Throw together a large salad and add chopped turkey, cheese, nuts, dried fruit, beets, etc.
  • mymodernbabylon
    mymodernbabylon Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Smoothies, scrambled eggs & toast, tuna fish with mayo, cottage cheese, sausages under the grill.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    quest bar.
  • TuffChixRule
    TuffChixRule Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Ham and cheese on a folded tortilla, throw it in the microwave for 15 seconds to melt the cheese.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    I try to put a serving of various things in the freezer as I cook them, like chili, pasta and soups or stews. I'm currently low on freezer meals so it's time to get cooking!
  • jenluvsushi
    jenluvsushi Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    quest bar, string cheese and a banana. It's in my lunch box every single work day. I also like premade salad meals that they sell at my local grocery store.