calorie adjustment in MFP w/ Fitbit Flex

2»

Replies

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    NancyKR wrote: »
    What do you mean eat back your Fitbit adjustments?

In your exercise diary, you should see a line item called "Fitbit calorie adjustment." It's the difference between your Fitbit burn (which is TDEE) and your MFP activity level (sedentary, lightly active, etc.).

If you don't have an adjustment, then your accounts aren't connected. If your adjustment is zero, you need to enable negative calorie adjustments.
  • NancyKR
    NancyKR Posts: 3 Member
    editorgrrl wrote: »

In your exercise diary, you should see a line item called "Fitbit calorie adjustment." It's the difference between your Fitbit burn (which is TDEE) and your MFP activity level (sedentary, lightly active, etc.).

If you don't have an adjustment, then your accounts aren't connected. If your adjustment is zero, you need to enable negative calorie adjustments.

Do I eat the negative calories or the positive calories? I don't understand what the negative and positive mean? Am I supposed to look at the MFP calorie count and then add the adjustment to it and eat those too?

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    NancyKR wrote: »

Do I eat the negative calories or the positive calories? I don't understand what the negative and positive mean? Am I supposed to look at the MFP calorie count and then add the adjustment to it and eat those too?

Negative = you lose calories (you burned less than what MFP expected you to burn)
    positive = calories are added that correspond with what you burned beyond what MFP expected
  • fraserkr
    fraserkr Posts: 110 Member
    MFP has a Fitbit Users group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1290-fitbit-users

...snip...
    Log non-step exercise (like biking or swimming) in Fitbit—never MFP.
    ...snip...
    per http://www.myfitnesspal.com/fitbit/connected
    "1. Log foods and exercises ONLY on MyFitnessPal
    Log the foods that you eat and the exercises that you perform only on MyFitnessPal.com or on a MyFitnessPal mobile app. Any MyFitnessPal diary entries will automatically be synced to your Fitbit account. Do not log foods or exercise on Fitbit.com — any foods or exercises logged via Fitbit.com will NOT be synced to MyFitnessPal and could result in double-counting or other inaccuracies."

Is your method suggested b/c you've found MFP recommendations to be inappropriate?
  • fraserkr
    It's entirely a matter of personal preference. I trust Fitbit's burns more than MFP's. And I don't care about having exercise appear in my news feed. YMMV.

But never, ever log your exercise in MFP as one calorie.

WHY never log your exercise in MFP as one calorie? I do so b/c I want to track my minutes of exercise classes in MFP but I don't want FitBit calories to be changed.
  • fraserkr
    When you log exercise in MFP, it asks for the start & end times. Then it sends the data to Fitbit, which replaces your Fitbit burn during that time with your MFP burn.

This is why I log my exercise in Fitbit—never MFP. It'll take trial & error to find which you prefer. But never, ever log your exercise in MFP as one calorie.

I log my exercise classes in MFP, especially when it's a class that doesn't involve steps (e.g., YOGA)