Ucan Supplement

Options
I'm working with a trainer who's pushing me to drink Ucan before my workouts. I' have no aspirations of becoming a performance athlete, and it's expensive. I also have a strong preference for food over supplements. Does anyone use it and think it makes sense for someone in my position?

Replies

• PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I'm working with a trainer who's pushing me to drink Ucan before my workouts. I' have no aspirations of becoming a performance athlete, and it's expensive. I also have a strong preference for food over supplements. Does anyone use it and think it makes sense for someone in my position?

I don't use it but it's just an energy drink. I think you've got a good head in regards to trying to get your macros/micros from food first.

Even if you did have aspirations of becoming an athlete, I still don't see how this drink is really that beneficial, even as a supplement. Just seems like he's pushing a sale. If he doesn't stop when you say no, then maybe consider finding another trainer.
  • sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I think he's well meaning, but he's having a hard time accepting that I'm not looking to him for dietary advice.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options

Ucan? Is that like Alpo?
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    Unless his training / degree & license covers nutrition, don't give any more credence to what he says than what anyone else says.

Do your research, decide for yourself.
    Sounds like you're already on the right track - most people don't need energy drinks, and it's best to get your nutrition from food as much as possible.

BTW, find out which national body licenses him, and research to see if nutritional advice is within his scope of practice. I'm betting it's not, and that group would probably like to know about him.

And I agree that if he keeps pushing it, stop hiring him.

51637601.png
  • shor0814
    shor0814 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I really wish the people at UCAN would have stayed away from the whole "energy" crap. In my experience it isn't an energy drink in the traditional sense. For people like me who have trouble with carbs and insulin spikes it was one of many things that helped me with my weight loss.

Some of the science behind it is that it provides a sustainable source of carbs and keeps insulin levels down allowing the body to burn fat for fuel. When insulin is up, the body likes to hold onto fat and burn carbs instead. Is the science 100%? I have no idea but I do seem to do better with it than without. Like everything, there is some science behind it and some broscience as well.

It has gained traction for some events (marathons, New England Patriots) where you might "hit the wall" with traditional energy drinks. It isn't a miracle and it isn't something you must have. It is expensive, the plain stuff tastes like chalk, the cran/raspberry is ok, and the orange is drinkable.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Some of the "science". lol.