Hints for Surviving Over Eating Christmas Day

Options
2»

Replies

• deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Self control. That is all it is. Most people don't just automatically have self control, it has to be developed.
    -Fill up on healthier things, then you will be less tempted by the junk.
    -Stay away from any trigger foods that you know you can't stop eating.
    -Have a little bit of snacks that you know you can stop eating after just one.
    -Get some extra exercise.

Or, just enjoy the day and get back to your routine tomorrow. One day didn't cause all of your weight gain and one day won't wreck your weight loss either.
  • ljones27uk
    ljones27uk Posts: 177 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    i think its really important to let your hair down and eat whatever you want. I know its not answering the question, but for me personally ive been committed to my weight loss for over 4 months now and if I cant forget it for a day or two then I think my long term plans will ultimately fail.. We've done the hard work, or are in the process of doing the hard work and losing weight, I think we deserve a day or two off.... I can think of no better time to enjoy the fruits of our labour, than christmas. We can get right back on the wagon come 27th December!.... Whatever you do.. enjoy! (that said, I do intend to go for a run on boxing day, but thats because im visiting family on the coast and I like the idea of a run along side the sea :-))
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I survived last year, I'll survive this year. Even if I gain a pound, who cares, I'll lose it again in a month tops...
  • Shirleybeville
    Shirleybeville Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I just started on Fitness Pal and I have done wonderful. But, my family Christmas scared me to death. I have already lost 10 pounds and don't want to gain it back. I hope I have the self control I need.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Enjoy the holiday and your friends/family.

You'd have to eat 3500 calories over what your body needs to maintain to gain an actual pound. If you weigh yourself after xmas and the scale is up, it's water weight and will go back down. It's temporary. All in all, it's not a big deal. Don't make yourself miserable for the sake of "omg I don't want to gain any weight". Have a cookie or two with Santa and continue what you were doing after the holidays.
  • Michael230272
    Options
    thank you everyone for all your advice very helpful. YES just enjoy so I have done so and I'm pleased to say I did eat more than usual but I wasn't left feeling like I couldn't eat again I was a bit uncomfortable but had an enjoyable day. Hope all had a great Christmas.
  • Michael230272
    Options
    Ninkyou wrote: »
    Enjoy the holiday and your friends/family.

You'd have to eat 3500 calories over what your body needs to maintain to gain an actual pound. If you weigh yourself after xmas and the scale is up, it's water weight and will go back down. It's temporary. All in all, it's not a big deal. Don't make yourself miserable for the sake of "omg I don't want to gain any weight". Have a cookie or two with Santa and continue what you were doing after the holidays.

thanks for those figures, that's very helpful. you seem to know your stuff so that's very helpful.
  • Michael230272
    Options
    I just started on Fitness Pal and I have done wonderful. But, my family Christmas scared me to death. I have already lost 10 pounds and don't want to gain it back. I hope I have the self control I need.

I like what most people have written so yeah, as scary as over eating is at this time of year we should just enjoy ourselves. I was just glad not to off stuffed myself so much that I don't want to eat for a week. Hope you had a good Christmas
  • princessnarmor
    princessnarmor Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I think if you've been diligent on your diet throughout the year, eating some for Christmas, IN MODERATION, is fine. Having said that though, the average person gains 10 lbs over the holidays.

I have not been diligent this year, so I took an extreme approach to Christmas. No Christmas dinner. Weight loss is what I WANTED for Christmas. So I chose something that I can't normally eat a lot of (not a sweet) and that's what I had for my Christmas and Thanksgiving dinners this year. At this point I don't feel strong enough to turn down the hard stuff, ie. pies, cranberry salads, the stuff I crave a lot.

So this year, my Christmas present to me was losing 10 lbs, instead of gain 10 lbs on top of last years 10 lbs. Extreme or not, it was my gift to me. I'll eat with the family after I feel I've made sufficient progress.

In the past, The holidays have been the time when I had the most weight gain, and I just can't keep putting on that 10 lbs. It would be fine if I had lost it throughout the next year and maintained it, but I didn't. I'm not punishing myself by skipping the Christmas dinner, I'm gifting myself a 10 lb loss and that's what I REALLY wanted for Christmas.
  • princessnarmor
    princessnarmor Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Oh and I also bought myself some new SMALLER clothes for Christmas, which made the sacrifice TOTALLY worth it.
  • Michael230272
    Options
    Oh and I also bought myself some new SMALLER clothes for Christmas, which made the sacrifice TOTALLY worth it.

Good luck with that
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    I'm going to eat all the things, feel no shame about it, and then tomorrow I'm going to get back to logging after having taken a break for a few weeks. My parents invited me to do a trial at their gym, so I will go and exercise there a few times over the next week. My sister and I have agreed to start 30 Day Shred together tomorrow as well. I told her to start logging her food, and that I would pester her every day on here if she didn't. :laugh:

I've surely gained a few pounds above and beyond what I gained back after being released from the hospital on Thanksgiving, and I'm not going to sweat it. I know what I need to do in order to get back on track. I've also come to the conclusion that I can no longer eat the same "junk food" in the amounts I used to. Things like Qdoba, corn dogs, and extra greasy burgers all made my stomach really unhappy, and since I don't like feeling like poop I'll just avoid or limit that stuff to rare occasions and MUCH smaller portions.

I'll keep wine in moderation though. :smiling_imp:
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    We don't have thanksgiving in England, so this is the one time of year I eat what I like, so there's nothing to stress about.

:smiley:

Imagine being an American Chinese. You'd have Christmas, Thanksgiving and Chinese New Year.

Lol. My sister's husband is Chinese actually. She's in Hong Kong with him right now. Wonder what they'll eat for Xmas dinner.

Suspect the answer is "everything". :smiley: