Weight bench - routines for working with weights

Options
Santa is bringing hubby a weight bench that we will both use. Where do you find routines to do? I took a few strength training classes at the gym a couple of years ago. They no longer offer that class : ( I know the obvious deadlifts, bicep curls and triceps extension but I also know there are a ton of other moves. We're not going for a bodybuilding competition but do want to get stronger and more defined. He is very underweight, needs to gain 30 pounds and I am overweight by about fifty pounds. Can you recommend a website or YouTube we could follow to figure out the moves and amount of weight to use?

Replies

• yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    lots of beginner programs. Stronglift 5x5 is a MFP favorite.
  • charlesmauch
    charlesmauch Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Buy "Starting Strength" by Mark Rippetoe, it will cover the major exercises you want to do and how to properly perform them so you get the most bang for you buck. Even if you and your husband use some other program like Stronglifts the information in that book will serve you well in the years to come. It's probably the most important purchase you'll ever make regarding weight lifting other than the bench and weights itself. ;)

Ignore Rippetoe's diet advice, his nutrition advice might be great for teenage football athletes but I think it's horrible for anybody else.

To get started quickly though, there are videos on the stronglifts website and on the starting strength wiki which are pretty good.

And I'd simply start out all the exercises with the empty barbell. For exercises like deadlifts and power cleans which begin on the floor, maybe start with the barbell and 10lb bumper plates just to get the barbell off the floor.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    ^best book I've read on lifting. There are other great ones that will be better understood after you digest Starting Strength
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    BTW, if you got the Stronglifts Route be prepared for the fact that the founder of the site is a major misogynist and the entire site talks about "how I help guys get stronger."
  • jenglish712
    jenglish712 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Both SL and SS can have some misogynistic overtones. But they are both good routines to start. You can look into New Rules of Lifting for Women. Havent read it... Im a dude, but plenty of ladies use SS or SL and there is a group on here for ladies usimg SL 5x5 (which is slightly simpler than SS imo)