Reps vs. Weight

Options
Sorry in advance if this is a faq - didn't see it.
- So is it better to do more reps or use heavier weights (assuming I maintain a decent form in either case)?
I usually do 3 sets of 10-12 reps, If I increase the weight I find I have to cut back to 8-10 reps, at least for a while.
Thanks.

Replies

• AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    So this is dependent on your goals. There are desired rep ranges for different goals. If your main goal is strength, the desired rep range is 1-7 reps. If your main goal is hypertrophy (muscle mass), the desired rep range is 8-12 reps. If your main goal is endurance then 13+ reps is your desired range. For each range you want to use a weight heavy enough to cause failure in the desired rep range.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    It will really depend on what your goals are but both can lead to strength and muscle increases.

Great article on it here.
    http://www.lookgreatnaked.com/blog/light-load-training-can-it-build-muscle/

I think the best thing most recreational lifters can do is pick a program that includes a variety or rep ranges.

So if increasing the weight drops you down down to 5-6 reps and you have to work you way back up to 10-12 before increasing weight again that is not a bad thing.
  • gshifrin
    gshifrin Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Cool, thanks, very helpful.
    Recreational lifter - what a concept!