proper split between carbs and protein

Options
I have heard that a split of 38% carb and 42% protein is the best for weight lose, any advise?

Replies

• Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    I think it's more a matter of what works for you. I like a little more protein in my diet and that works well for me. Adjust your macros and stick to them for at least a month. Track how you feel, not just your weight loss. Adjust accordingly after. It takes time, but I think it's important to understand how you need to eat to support your body and activity level (I lift heavy weights 5 times a week and do cardio and yoga). :smile:
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    semo63936 wrote: »
    I have heard that a split of 38% carb and 42% protein is the best for weight lose, any advise?

SEMO that gives you a good amount of fat/balance in your diet. As Psychgrrl points out we are all different so different things work for different people.

Up until this past summer I have been high on the carbs but with age and long term carb abuse in my case that was not working out on this side of the MS River so well. :)

Just getting started is the main thing. We all can tweak as we learn more about what works/does not work for our ever changing bodies.

Welcome by the way.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    Set your macros according to your goals. If you're eating at a deficit, increasing protein to at least 1 gram per pound of lean body mass will help protect against muscle loss. If you're lifting, eating a bit more protein can also help with building muscle. For carbs...are you low-carbing or trying to achieve keto? If not, then it matters a lot less exactly how many grams of carbs you eat. If you're bulking, it matters less how your macros are proportioned...you can eat anything and everything to reach your calorie goal.

Personally, I only really pay attention to protein and fiber. I cook with olive oil and eat a lot of nuts and avocados, so I know my good fats are taking care of themselves. Since I'm eating at a deficit most days, and lifting, I try to hit 30 % of my calories in protein, which puts me right at the gram/lean pound ideal, and I try to hit 30 grams of fiber. Carbs and fats fall where they may.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Macros are different based on your individual goals and needs.