UK Doctors-told-to-report-patients-who-put-on-weight.

Options

Replies

• Charlottesometimes23
    Charlottesometimes23 Posts: 687 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    The article says that patients will be 'identified' to be offered free services and advice, which I assume they can refuse.

It's interesting that they used the term 'report'.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    family doctors will be asked to identify anyone who has gained weight and is at risk of diabetes – particularly those aged below 40.
    They will then be offered tests for pre-diabetes, followed by healthy lifestyle advice and close monitoring to ensure they are eating better and exercising more.
    Having doctors aware of health risks is pretty much part of the job.
    Having them educate patients, ditto. (Though that usually falls to the nurses.)
    What bothers me is the "close monitoring", as though by agreeing to accept services they give up privacy or self-determination.

51637601.png
  • Charlottesometimes23
    Options
    MKEgal wrote: »
    family doctors will be asked to identify anyone who has gained weight and is at risk of diabetes – particularly those aged below 40.
    They will then be offered tests for pre-diabetes, followed by healthy lifestyle advice and close monitoring to ensure they are eating better and exercising more.
    Having doctors aware of health risks is pretty much part of the job.
    Having them educate patients, ditto. (Though that usually falls to the nurses.)
    What bothers me is the "close monitoring", as though by agreeing to accept services they give up privacy or self-determination.

51637601.png

Considering the title of the article, close monitoring could simply mean follow-up, which would be important to check individual progress, issues and concerns, the need for tweaking etc.

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    As we have to limit medical services to keep down health care cost maybe the panels will need a way to decide who will benefit the most from the rationed services? I do know in the US federal health care system more push is being put on prevention to help reduce future expenses which is a smart thing. If the government is expected to care for our medical needs I guess that gives them the right to demand we work to be healthy.

When one looks at the costs today and plan to be living into the future one can see we need to develop healthier lifestyles for sure to keep down the cost of our health care services.

I personally think this move in the UK will financially help MFP since they seem to be the main source of help in losing weight and getting physical fit in the world.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    As we have to limit medical services to keep down health care cost maybe the panels will need a way to decide who will benefit the most from the rationed services? I do know in the US federal health care system more push is being put on prevention to help reduce future expenses which is a smart thing. If the government is expected to care for our medical needs I guess that gives them the right to demand we work to be healthy.

When one looks at the costs today and plan to be living into the future one can see we need to develop healthier lifestyles for sure to keep down the cost of our health care services.

I personally think this move in the UK will financially help MFP since they seem to be the main source of help in losing weight and getting physical fit in the world.

Except MFP is free... And how do you know that? There are tons of people who lose weight without mfp.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    So this is what you are going to do now? Create threads like this all day.

Interesting, albeit lazy method of trolling.
  • Charlottesometimes23
    Options

You've got to be kidding. I can understand why some posters get so irritated with you.

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    This is non-news

You know, the stuff they rollout over the holidays to fill space

Doctors practices in the UK have, for at least 20 years, offered weight advice, targeted patients with specific tailored health services ...I've been sent leaflets on ante-natal, post-natal, breast feeding workshops, Pilates classes and weight loss support and that's just top of my mind

It's called healthcare

You just bin them, in the green recycling bin of course:smile:
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    blogs.wsj.com/venturecapital/2014/02/19/bringing-personal-coaching-to-the-quantified-self-myfitnesspal-acquires-sessions/

Good morning folks. You can read about 18,000,000.00 reasons why governments bringing health concerns to their citizens in a very direct way may be good for MFP investors and investments. It is no accident new generations of cell phones are designed to work with MFP software.

Grab a copy of the Wall Street Journal from time to time folks. MFP is much more than a place of petty yacking these days. :)
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    What's your point?

It's a website, albeit with terrible basic glitches in its forum software, and decent apps

The people who own it will be making money from ad revenue ...good for them...shame they don't spend any on decent, strategically thought through, user-friendly re-programming but it's free site so we don't really get to complain
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    The article says that patients will be 'identified' to be offered free services and advice, which I assume they can refuse.

It's interesting that they used the term 'report'.

Only in the headline is the word "report" used.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    "Grab a copy of some random newspaper."

"Look at my link from a blog."

Next the Gale account is going to tell us it reads anything, like Palin. Has the Gale account been linked to the steve098 account yet? Makes sense since they're both stolen pictures, steve's inactive, etc.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,412 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I am locking this thread for the following reasons:

2. No Hi-Jacking, Trolling, or Flame-baiting

Please stay on-topic in an existing thread, and post new threads in the appropriate forum. Taking a thread off-topic is considered hi-jacking. Please either contribute politely and constructively to a topic, or move on without posting. This includes posts that encourage the drama in a topic to escalate, or posts intended to incite an uproar from the community.
This discussion has been closed.