New Diet Question

Options
Hello everyone and Merry Christmas!

So I've posted a couple of times in these boards and just had a couple of questions about diet and how everyone does it.

So I've changed workout regimens, and am stopping counting calories completely. That's first. I just can't do it anymore. It makes me sad, and I actually feel like I eat more junk/eat when I don't need to when I count because I feel like Im just trying to hit a number (as my wonderful wife pointed out to me). Needless to say it was wreaking havoc on me and especially her having to deal with me being moody and just outright mean sometimes :/ .

So I guess my concern here is this, having just started out not counting calories I feel like I'm eating wayyyyyy more than I was before, but IDK if that's a bad thing? I was eating around 2700 calls give or take before doing the original Insanity program with added workouts here and there as well.

I am currently hitting INSANITY: MAX 30 (new program, 30 minute HIIT sessions with resistance training as well) 5 days per week, I walk to and from work, take the stairs, etc. I skate on the weekends. All in all I consider myself pretty active.

Current weight: 128 (am now finally open to the idea of putting on some muscle weight)
Current diet: none to speak of

What I'm trying to do now is just kind of make healthier choices and eat when I'm hungry, as I've been doing a lot of reading that says if you're going to engage in high intensity types of exercise regularly, that you actually need to eat MORE sometimes than you think just to make sure you can keep making gains and stave off the fat. It seems more and more like maybe I wasn't waiting ENOUGH at 2700 calls to keep the fat off, as my body was still craving more energy that I wasn't giving it.

Really I just want to find out if anyone has had any similar experiences or advice? I already feel better eating more, but I don't want to overdo it either.

Thanks! and Merry Christmas!
Chuck M.

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    I am confused..are you trying to gain weight, lose weight, or maintain?
  • RoadieKill104
    RoadieKill104 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I apologize for not being pointed enough with my previous post. I'd say I'm not necessarily trying to gain per se, but add muscle and tone (which would come with some extra poundage I know). So while I wouldn't say the focus is to weigh more, I suppose if I'm trying to put on lean mass and tone, then yes I think I need to gain some.

At 5 9" 128lbs obviously I'm not very cut up right now. The other thing I'm finding at this weight is that to maintain it I think is more work than if I were a bit more muscular and toned up, as I'd be maintaning on more anyway, where as down this low I feel like it's a constant battle with diet, and it just sucks the energy out of me.

As a side note too, I am starting to do more as far as drinking more milk, getting more chicken turkey beef etc. Still not a perfect diet and I don't knowing it ever will be, but my focus is on making healthier choices.

Eggs and wheat toast with turkey bacon in the morning, or something comparable

Snack on fruits, nuts

Pb and j's or chicken breast, maybe a naked burrito for lunch

*insert snack here *

Dinner more lean protein and dairy most nights

That's kind of what my diet is shaping up to be naturally, with indulgences here and there. Again I'm trying not to be too strict, though I am resolving to make healthier choices and take in primarily water, I'm off the sugary drinks almost for good and am getting all my water now.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    So I've changed workout regimens, and am stopping counting calories completely.

Basically you can't have your cake and eat it too. If you decide not to count calories or macros, you can't really be upset if you spin your wheels and don't see progress. The only situation I can really see someone stopping calorie counting and being successful an progressing towards their body composition goals is if they've been doing it for so long that they can hit their numbers just based on experience. If you're not counting, and especially if you're not measuring, then there's absolutely no way to be anything even close to accurate in calorie intake.

I will never understand why people think taking 10 minutes out of their day to log the food they eat is such a burden. It's honestly extremely easy and pretty stress free in my opinion.

Anyway, best of luck in whatever you decide to do.
  • RoadieKill104
    Options
    I can definitely appreciate that advice. I certainly see where you're coming from, to be honest I was just obsessing a lot about it and it just didn't seem to work. Well intentioned as I may have been it felt like I was getting more focused on the number in the log and on my scale than my actuly goals and my lack of progress.

The idea that man stayed in shape for thousands of years without knowing what a calorie is really kind of shook me, and I realized that I should be able to be lean without thinking so much or so hard about when and what I eat.

I guess what I'm trying to do now is be more conscious of what I eat and how I feel and then let my body do its thing. I guess I was just wondering if anyone has had any kind of similar experience.

Thank you for the feedback! Food for thought haha :)

Chuck
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Man stayed in shape for thousands of years because they did not have nearly as many calorically dense foods, they had to work harder for their food, and they did not have excess food in abundance until relatively recently in history. Couple the increase of average caloric intake with a decrease in energy expenditure due to evolution of the digital age and you can see why it is much harder for people to stay lean. Yes it is tempting to look back and think "If they did it for thousands of years, then I should be able to" but you can't really make the comparison. We live in a different time with different circumstances and the most effective way to answer all the changes is to be accurate and precise with your nutritional intake.
  • jenglish712
    jenglish712 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Plenty of people maintian their weight without counting calories, just by looking at the scale or in the mirror and using thier judgement at every meal. To me, at this point that almost sounds more difficult. I know I could generally guage my speed on the highway without my speedometer but I feel a lot better with it. I would have to just not eat some foods at all to not log (and not gain a ton of fat), which would make me miserable. But everybody is different and when my SIL has tried to log foods she ends up feeling restricetd and eating more. You have to figure out what is going to work for you.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    If you want to add mass, muscle, etc then that is going to require a caorie surplus, and as a consequence you are going to gain weight.

also, if you truly want to know how much you are eating and be as accurate as possible you are really going to need to weigh/log/measure all of your food and also use a food scale.

Here is my suggestion:

1. get a food scale
    2. use said food scale to weigh/log/meaure anything
    3. find out what your maintenance calories are and add 250 calories a day to this number, which would equalt .5 pound per week gain.
    4. take starting measurements of biceps, waist, shoulders, chest.
    5. weigh yourself once a week at same time and on same day.
    6. getting on a lifting program like starting strength; 5x5; etc and stick to it.
    7. keep repeating until you get desired weight/goals/etc
  • holdenalarva
    Options

So I've posted a couple of times in these boards and just had a couple of questions about diet and how everyone does it.

So I've changed workout regimens, and am stopping counting calories completely. That's first. I just can't do it anymore. It makes me sad, and I actually feel like I eat more junk/eat when I don't need to when I count because I feel like Im just trying to hit a number (as my wonderful wife pointed out to me). Needless to say it was wreaking havoc on me and especially her having to deal with me being moody and just outright mean sometimes :/ .

So I guess my concern here is this, having just started out not counting calories I feel like I'm eating wayyyyyy more than I was before, but IDK if that's a bad thing? I was eating around 2700 calls give or take before doing the original Insanity program with added workouts here and there as well.

I am currently hitting INSANITY: MAX 30 (new program, 30 minute HIIT sessions with resistance training as well) 5 days per week, I walk to and from work, take the stairs, etc. I skate on the weekends. All in all I consider myself pretty active.

Current weight: 128 (am now finally open to the idea of putting on some muscle weight)

What I'm trying to do now is just kind of make healthier choices and eat when I'm hungry, as I've been doing a lot of reading that says if you're going to engage in high intensity types of exercise regularly, that you actually need to eat MORE sometimes than you think just to make sure you can keep making gains and stave off the fat. It seems more and more like maybe I wasn't waiting ENOUGH at 2700 calls to keep the fat off, as my body was still craving more energy that I wasn't giving it.

Really I just want to find out if anyone has had any similar experiences or advice? I already feel better eating more, but I don't want to overdo it either.

Chuck M.

First, that's way to much HITT. You will eat up all your muscle at that intensity. Insanity program will have your body adjust and will not be sustainable. I started as a clean eater, then a paleo dieter, now I skip breakfast (Intermittent fast) and actually I am bulking by adding weight and muscle. The best part is i eat everything agsin in moderation. I have no cheat meal and follow IIFYM (flexible dieting). I started at 147lb in Jan eating 2200 and currently eating 2800 now at 163lbs. Because I fast and eat all my carbs in or around my workouts, I basically partition all those calories into muscle vs stored as fat. I have only done 3 cardio sessions all year. If you want muscle, cut cardio down, lift heavy weights to get more muscle and a faster meaboludm to help burn fat. Eat slow carbs before workouts as and immediately after a workout, sugary carbs WITH protein 2:1 ratio to replenish glycogen. For me I eat oats before a workout. After its gummy bears or jelly beans to spike I insulin with a protein shake to drive all ghr protein into the muscle. One of the best recovery drinks is chocolate milk. It has the 2:1 ratio and is scientifically tested. Check out leangains program or IIFYM and live your life. A diet should be sustainable to be consistent. If not, it will not be worth it. I can write a basic plan for you for a fee thru my online coaching services. Happy Holidays.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options

Chuck M.

First, that's way to much HITT. You will eat up all your muscle at that intensity. Insanity program will have your body adjust and will not be sustainable. I started as a clean eater, then a paleo dieter, now I skip breakfast (Intermittent fast) and actually I am bulking by adding weight and muscle. The best part is i eat everything agsin in moderation. I have no cheat meal and follow IIFYM (flexible dieting). I started at 147lb in Jan eating 2200 and currently eating 2800 now at 163lbs. Because I fast and eat all my carbs in or around my workouts, I basically partition all those calories into muscle vs stored as fat. I have only done 3 cardio sessions all year. If you want muscle, cut cardio down, lift heavy weights to get more muscle and a faster meaboludm to help burn fat. Eat slow carbs before workouts as and immediately after a workout, sugary carbs WITH protein 2:1 ratio to replenish glycogen. For me I eat oats before a workout. After its gummy bears or jelly beans to spike I insulin with a protein shake to drive all ghr protein into the muscle. One of the best recovery drinks is chocolate milk. It has the 2:1 ratio and is scientifically tested. Check out leangains program or IIFYM and live your life. A diet should be sustainable to be consistent. If not, it will not be worth it. I can write a basic plan for you for a fee thru my online coaching services. Happy Holidays.

Smh....
  • holdenalarva
    Options

Chuck M.

Smh....

Lol. The irony of your profile name. I don't follow broscience. You must be one of those guys that still thinks iifym is about pop tarts. My mentors are layne Norton and Alan Aragon. Who are yours? The best diet is one that allows for healthy fat loss and the ability to sustain it with knowledge of incorporating ALL foods in moderation.
  • holdenalarva
    Options

Chuck M.

Smh....
    Furthermore, I prioritize whole foods over processed for obvious reasons such as performance and health. The point here is that body composition and the laws of thermodybamics aren't based on what foods are eaten. The body doesn't know good from bad in how it relates to composition. Obviously from a health and performance perspective it does. That was not what the is gentlemen's question was about. Let's go...I got you.

• LolBroScience
    Options

Chuck M.

Smh....

Lol. The irony of your profile name. I don't follow broscience. You must be one of those guys that still thinks iifym is about pop tarts. My mentors are layne Norton and Alan Aragon. Who are yours? The best diet is one that allows for healthy fat loss and the ability to sustain it with knowledge of incorporating ALL foods in moderation.

Cite me one resource where Alan Aragon and Layne Norton would agree with intermittent fasting as it relates to only gaining muscle while in a caloric surplus.

Explain to my why one needs a 2:1 ratio of carbs to protein immediately postworkout, when Alan has collaborated with others and published material indicating this to be untrue.

Also, don't advertise your services.
  • LolBroScience
    Options

Chuck M.

Smh....
    Furthermore, I prioritize whole foods over processed for obvious reasons such as performance and health. The point here is that body composition and the laws of thermodybamics aren't based on what foods are eaten. The body doesn't know good from bad in how it relates to composition. Obviously from a health and performance perspective it does. That was not what the is gentlemen's question was about. Let's go...I got you.

I know what IIFYM is. I follow flexible dieting.
  • LolBroScience
    Options

Chuck M.

Smh....

Reading articles by these individuals does not make them your "mentors".

"Who are yours?" - You're trying to turn this into an internet measuring contest and you're going to end up looking like even more of a fool than you already have...
  • PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    Options

Chuck M.

Smh....

Dude, stop talking out of your @$$
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options

Chuck M.

Guy comes in and says that counting calories is too stressful, so you suggest following a needlessly complicated eating routine. He's skin and bones. He needs to just eat and lift.

May want to read the TOS, because trying to sell your coaching (in threads or by PM) is a quick way to get banned.
  • LolBroScience
    Options
    Lmao, he came back and flagged everyone with no retort.. strong.
  • PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    And then deactivated. Lame troll is lame.
  • RoadieKill104
    Options
    Thank you all very much for the CONSTRUCTIVE feedback. I appreciate most of it haha. Yes, lame troll is lame lol.

Been sticking with the HIIT and making healthier choices. I am actively trying to refuel directly after my workouts, which does definitely seem to be boosting recovery. I'm caloroes conscious but am trying not be overly concerned. Making healthier choices I think needs to be my top priority, moderation is key. I'll monitor and see where this takes me and adjust as I go. Thank you all so much for the boost of confidence!

Chuck M.