MFP calculating extras calories for me to eat but I want it to stop!

MissTobiAnne
MissTobiAnne Posts: 1 Member
edited December 2014 in Getting Started
Hi, Is there a way to stop the MFP giving me an extra food allowance? I am trying to lose weight and its a pain half way though the day trying to work out how many cals I actually have left because its adding on any steps or exercise I have done (via my fitbit sync).
TIA

Replies

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Your Fitbit burn is your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure). If you eat TDEE minus a deficit, you will lose weight.

Your MFP calorie goal already has your deficit built in, so you must eat back your Fitbit calorie adjustments. That's how MFP works.

You can learn more in the Fitbit Users group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1290-fitbit-users
  • cincysweetheart
    cincysweetheart Posts: 892 Member
    You can manually set your calorie goal a little higher (try figuring out your TDEE at www.iifym.com) and then un-sync your devices and don't manually add in any of your exercise. That way you will keep the same amount of calories each day. Just remember to re-check your TDEE and manually reset your calorie goal every 10 pounds or so.

Or...If you like keeping track of your exercise so you can see how your times or weights improve over time or just as a way of keeping yourself accountable with your friends… you can still put in your exercise and change the calorie burn to having only burned 1 calorie. (Still set your own calorie goal based on your TDEE).
  • editorgrrl
    Your Fitbit burn is your TDEE—way more accurate than any online calculator. And exercise syncs both ways, so if you log exercise as 1 calorie in MFP, it will overwrite your Fitbit burn during that time. Don't do it!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    You aren't supposed to re-calculate anything ...you are supposed to eat what it says

MFP plus fitbit calories is your goal to eat each day

Ensure negative calorie adjustment is enabled

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    If you were to set yourself at a higher level of activity on here then the fitbit adjustment probably wouldn't happen - it's only telling you that you're more active than you thought.
  • sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    If you want a set amount of calories/day, set your calories with aTDEE calculator, then just ignore the fit bit adjustment. Or unlink your fit bit.
  • editorgrrl
    If you want a set amount of calories/day, set your calories with aTDEE calculator, then just ignore the fit bit adjustment. Or unlink your fit bit.

As I said above—twice—your Fitbit burn is your TDEE. And it's way more accurate than those online calculators, which are only guesstimates. When you connect a Fitbit, MFP adjusts your calorie goal every day to TDEE minus your deficit.

The bottom line is that food is fuel, and we should all be looking for the maximum number of calories at which we lose weight—never the minimum. Weight loss takes a whole lot of trial & error to find what works for you, so eat back your Fitbit adjustments for several weeks, then reevaluate your progress.

I eat back all of mine, and I lost the weight. And I've kept it off for six months. I love my Fitbit Flex!