Tracker Brand and Model Recommendations

Options
Hi all! Hope you've had a great Christmas. I'm planning on getting myself a tracker but I don't know what brand or model to get. I'm in the UK and would prefer one that tracks calories and sleep as well as heart rate and exercise. Any recommendations would be so welcome!

Replies

• logg1e
    logg1e Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    After a bit of research, I'm waiting for the new Fitbit Charge HR to come out.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    merlynian wrote: »
    Hi all! Hope you've had a great Christmas. I'm planning on getting myself a tracker but I don't know what brand or model to get. I'm in the UK and would prefer one that tracks calories and sleep as well as heart rate and exercise.

What are you hoping to achieve and what's your budget?

From the vast majority of people your response is likely to be what they themselves have, rather than an analsysi of what's best for you, so I'd suggest reading the reviews and comparisons on dcrainmaker.com
  • joneallen
    joneallen Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    logg1e wrote: »
    After a bit of research, I'm waiting for the new Fitbit Charge HR to come out.

This is what I'm waiting for also!
  • merlynian
    merlynian Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi all! Hope you've had a great Christmas. I'm planning on getting myself a tracker but I don't know what brand or model to get. I'm in the UK and would prefer one that tracks calories and sleep as well as heart rate and exercise.

What are you hoping to achieve and what's your budget?

From the vast majority of people your response is likely to be what they themselves have, rather than an analsysi of what's best for you, so I'd suggest reading the reviews and comparisons on dcrainmaker.com

Well since I started my MS treatment (Steroids) I've gained a lot of weight and need to get it off as its putting pressure on my joints. A friend of mine has recommended FitBit Flex since its on sale at the moment, so I think I may give this a try?

Thanks for all your replies!
  • logg1e
    logg1e Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    merlynian do you run and want to track your run statistics? Do you do cardio and want to track your calorie burn? Count steps? Monitor sleep? These are the kind of things which seem to differentiate between different trackers.
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    Well since I started my MS treatment (Steroids) I've gained a lot of weight and need to get it off as its putting pressure on my joints

OK, it sounds like you'll get more from a pedometer than an HRM as it doesn't appear you do anything like running/ cycling/ roing where an HRM would be meaningful for you.

In that sensse there's not much in it, there are lots of very vocal Fitbit disciples on here, and that certainly has market dominance. Vivofit is also good, and the Shine gets some good reviews.

• JCLondonUK
    Options
    If the hype is to be believed, this year will see the release (probably by the spring) of a new generation of wearable devices from most of the big players - Jawbone up3, various fitbits, and the iWatch for example - which will have everything you need in one wristwatch style gadget. If I were you, I'd get one of the cheaper fitbits for now to see you through, see how you get on with it, and wait and watch to see which of the new gadgets turns out to work best.
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    Catching up on Garmin and Polar who've already launched theirs :)
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    JCLondonUK wrote: »
    If the hype is to be believed, this year will see the release (probably by the spring) of a new generation of wearable devices from most of the big players - Jawbone up3, various fitbits, and the iWatch for example - which will have everything you need in one wristwatch style gadget. If I were you, I'd get one of the cheaper fitbits for now to see you through, see how you get on with it, and wait and watch to see which of the new gadgets turns out to work best.

Have you tried just a basic pedometer? I started with a free one, then upgraded to the Nike Fuel Band (which just died after three years of continuous use) I have my husbands old fitbit flex I am using as well as I ordered a lumo I am trying out for my posture and tracking. If you decide you like the pedometer to track steps, and want to track more, I agree with MeanderingMa... the new generation will be out in the spring, and if you want something simpler, it will be drastically reduced in price. Have fun deciding!
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    pkw58 wrote: »
    I agree with MeanderingMammal, the new generation will be out in the spring, and if you want something simpler, it will be drastically reduced in price.

Also, the New Year's resolutioners (and people who received a device from a passive-aggressive partner) will soon be selling them second-hand!

MFP has a Fitbit Users group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1290-fitbit-users and a Jawbone UP Bracelet group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/13420-jawbone-up-bracelet

I have them both. (I'm a data nerd.) They show you your TDEE—way more accurately than any online calculator. When you connect them to MFP, your daily calorie goal is automatically adjusted to TDEE minus your deficit.