Bacteria Growth and Temperatures

Options
Now that our holiday dinners are mostly done, keep in mind that food storage is important.

As the temperature goes up or the time grows longer, or both, bacteria doubles – and
re-doubles, (Faster and Faster).

When they double too many times, they will inevitable destroy the flavor and quality of your food.

Bacteria Double
Every half-hour at 90 degrees F.
Every hour at 70 degrees F.
Every 2 hours at 60 degrees F.
Every 3 hours at 50 degrees F.
Every 6 hours at 40 degrees F.
Every 20 hours at 32 degrees F.
Every 60 hours at 28 degrees F.

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Depends on the bacteria. Depends on their fitness.
    Depends on their environment.

Basically, you lack control of the variables you would need to control in order to claim what you are claiming.
  • 33Freya
    33Freya Posts: 468 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    That's pretty funny Dbmata. Who's fitness?! LOL

That said, I took those numbers off of a document at work (I work for a seafood company), and after looking closer at the internet out there, I see these are general numbers, and that there are varying opinions and arguments out there.

It is a known fact that growing bacteria produces toxins that can make us sick... and keeping foods colder works to reduce the rate of bacteria growth. Tada. better? :)
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    So what you're saying is that if I could invent some kind of chilling machine we could keep inside the house we could slow the rate of food spoilage?
    I'm on it!
  • dbmata
    Options
    33Freya wrote: »
    That's pretty funny Dbmata. Who's fitness?! LOL
    The fitness of the individual bacterium.
    That said, I took those numbers off of a document at work (I work for a seafood company), and after looking closer at the internet out there, I see these are general numbers, and that there are varying opinions and arguments out there.
    That makes sense. The numbers we went by when I was a cook are far different from what the biologists I know use.

The data for cooks had to go to a generally undereducated populace who may or may not care, so the numbers are definitely inflated.
  • CarrieCans
    CarrieCans Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    If it gets any colder in my kitchen, you will be able to see your breath. So i guess it's safe to keep the plate of food that i accidentally let sit out for a few hours.

I was keeping it anyway :)
  • 33Freya
    33Freya Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Yes one could argue that if you can see your breath in the kitchen, food will prolly last a bit longer lol
  • ThePoeToaster
    ThePoeToaster Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    I have no idea what the hell this topic is about. I just came in here because 33Freya is hawt.
  • rebeccaisafish
    rebeccaisafish Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I have NO idea what farenheit is in Celsius but don't forget you can also keep things HOT to prevent bacteria growth, if you have a bain marie just lying around your house lol
  • dbmata
    Options
    I have NO idea what farenheit is in Celsius but don't forget you can also keep things HOT to prevent bacteria growth, if you have a bain marie just lying around your house lol
    Or equipment to sous vide. ;)

I believe 40F in Celsius is 84 Hectares.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I'm not sure I understand the point of the post.

Not being a food microbiologist...or even wanting to know, much less remember, the different curves of food bacteria, I follow the 2 & 2 rule. People say it's unnecessary, but those same people never come up with a better rule than "smell it," which is not the way I wish to go.
  • dbmata
    Options
    2&2? Not familiar.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    2&2? Not familiar.
    2 hours from the stove to the fridge. 2 days in the fridge. You kind of count days, not 48 hours, so it's good until the end of whatever day it hits the 48 hour mark.

• dbmata
    Options
    ah interesting.

When I was cooking we used 4 and 3. 4 hours at room temp and toss it. 3 days from purchase/prep/cook and toss it. The 4 hours was cumulative.