weight stall/gain after starting to run

Options
2»

Replies

• Marianna93637
    Marianna93637 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    logg1e: I was walking the dog before, but it was just a quick walk around the block, like 10 minutes and it wasn't every day (we have a pretty big backyard so it's not like he was without exercise) In the past month it's gone up to 45 minutes in the neighborhood, every day, minimum 20 minutes, and then started jogging for about 20-40 minutes.
  • Marianna93637
    Options
    Francl27: no period is not due for a while :) I'm pretty sure this is due to what every one is saying here. I really never knew this would happen.
  • Marianna93637
    Options
    I haven't given up, I just needed the encouragement to make sure I won't get down because of the numbers. I'm joining a gym tomorrow. Thursday night I went for a long jog/walk (longest so far, 2 miles and was able to jog over 1 mile, which is a lot for me), Friday I took a Zumba class, and a quick walk with the dog, yesterday, Saturday a long walk (knees were hurting from Zumba most likely so didn't want to overdo it), today I took a yoga class and went to the gym to do upper body. Tomorrow Zumba again, and probably a jog in the morning (I usually go at night, I have more energy, but I want to see what happens)

I haven't even thought about getting on that scale. I think I will take pictures next week and compare it to the ones I took 2 weeks ago :)
  • Marianna93637
    Options
    I haven't given up, I just needed the encouragement to make sure I won't get down because of the numbers. I'm joining a gym tomorrow. Thursday night I went for a long jog/walk (longest so far, 2 miles and was able to jog over 1 mile, which is a lot for me), Friday I took a Zumba class, and a quick walk with the dog, yesterday, Saturday a long walk (knees were hurting from Zumba most likely so didn't want to overdo it), today I took a yoga class and went to the gym to do upper body. Tomorrow Zumba again, and probably a jog in the morning (I usually go at night, I have more energy, but I want to see what happens)

I haven't even thought about getting on that scale. I think I will take pictures next week and compare it to the ones I took 2 weeks ago :)
  • Marianna93637
    Options
    Ok. I stepped on the scale out of curiosity, still show a weight gain, but I don't even care. I know it's water weight, I actually feel it :)

But I decided that I will use my old jeans as a way of measuring. I have a pair of jeans, slightly stretchy, I wore them, and they looked great on me about 20-25 lbs ago. A while ago I tried them on, I couldn't even pull them up on my hips. Today I tried them on, they come up all the way I just can't button them, there are about 4 inches missing.
    Victory!!!
    There's another pair, that I was able to wear at a higher weight, about 10-15 lbs ago. I put them on, they fit well and I can wear them again :)

Even though the scale has been discouraging, I didn't let it stop me. I've taken 2 Zumba classes so far, weekly yoga, I've been walking and running, and working out, and I joined a gym. I'm sore in different places every day and it feels good.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you're doing all the right things. Keep up the good work, and hit your calorie goals. It works.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    Focus on how active you're becoming, how fit you're getting and how well you're eating. And on how those jeans fit.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you are doing great, getting into smaller sized jeans is a huge NSV.

You've been given some great advice, I would say keep on going and being active, weight loss will happen as will the fluctuations caused by water/monthly cycle...get to know your body and how it works - you are getting results ☺

I've had my issues on my weight loss journey when I've stalled for up to 6 weeks at a time. Changing my workouts helped also I upped water intake and was more vigilant in logging foods. I don't think you need to worry yet, you're doing fine.
  • 2snakeswoman
    2snakeswoman Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Did you search for info about this before coming here? I remember reading a very interesting article about why runners don't lose weight, but I can't remember how to get to it. Basically human beings have had to go long distances to find food and/or escape from predators in our evolutionary past. If we all lost weight while doing that, most of us would have been starved to extinction by now.
  • _Waffle_
    Options
    Did you search for info about this before coming here? I remember reading a very interesting article about why runners don't lose weight, but I can't remember how to get to it. Basically human beings have had to go long distances to find food and/or escape from predators in our evolutionary past. If we all lost weight while doing that, most of us would have been starved to extinction by now.

It's not a secret. There's a very good reason why many of them don't lose weight.

Draft-Beer-Magazine-2011-Cover.jpg
  • Marianna93637
    Options
    2snakeswoman: no I haven't researched anything before and actually this was the first time I ever heard that our body retains water due to a running program. It all makes sense, I just wish I knew it before, I wouldn't have given up running in the past when I tried.

I think it's always interesting to remember how we used to live thousands of years ago, because even though our civilization evolved / changed, we haven't changed with it. For example I always thought was fascinating that our knees are so week, because we used to not be upright, so our knees had to carry only half of our weight. Since then we stood up, but our knees haven't changed :)
  • Marianna93637
    Options
    Umm, I'm not sure why the picture of the beer. I don't drink beer, can't stand the taste lol. whatever weight issues I have, it has nothing to do with beer :)
  • _Waffle_
    Options
    2snakeswoman: no I haven't researched anything before and actually this was the first time I ever heard that our body retains water due to a running program. It all makes sense, I just wish I knew it before, I wouldn't have given up running in the past when I tried.

I think it's always interesting to remember how we used to live thousands of years ago, because even though our civilization evolved / changed, we haven't changed with it. For example I always thought was fascinating that our knees are so week, because we used to not be upright, so our knees had to carry only half of our weight. Since then we stood up, but our knees haven't changed :)

The human skeletal structure has actually changed quite a bit. The major benefit is that we can stand upright with little to no effort, and walking at a casual pace is very efficient. Primates have to spend much more energy to walk. We've evolved to be more lazy. LOL

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_skeletal_changes_due_to_bipedalism
  • _Waffle_
    Options
    Umm, I'm not sure why the picture of the beer. I don't drink beer, can't stand the taste lol. whatever weight issues I have, it has nothing to do with beer :)
    Fine. Wine then. LOL Perhaps I'm self-projecting.

I could stand to lose about 10 pounds but then my girlfriend complains that I'm too thin. I want it for vanity reasons and also the fact that you're about 2 seconds faster per mile for every pound that you lose. This is the real secret as to why professional marathon runners are so thin. It's not because running makes you thin. They do this on purpose. Calories in and out still dictate your weight.
  • Marianna93637
    Options
    So the mystery may have been solved. After 3 weeks winter break I went back to work, and by the 5th day I lost 2.5 lbs. Maybe it wasn't the running or the added cardio that retained water. I could easily tell that I was burning so much more calories, because i was on my feet all day and even just mentally I was on constantly. I increased my calories to 1400 from 1300 and still. Even though i was doing cardio every day and ate less while on break, I still burned less than working.

At least the scale has moved. But in the meanwhile I must have lost many many inches, people commented, my clothes fit or became too big, so it's all good :)