Ankle bandage/support while running?

Options
Does anyone use a band, tape or compression support while running. It doesn't matter what show I'm wearing my left ankle rolls and while getting back into outdoor jogging my ankle rolled twice. Is it ok to wear a bandage while running to sort of strengthen or will it cause more injury?

Replies

• jnord8729
    jnord8729 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I had a VERY similar issue that actually developed into ligamentous laxity and tendonitis, which sent me into physical therapy. All this was from years of not properly treating repeated ankle sprains (thanks Army...grrrr).

Anyway, there are a couple of ways to go. One is go to a podiatrist and get fitted for custom insoles. They are expensive, but will keep your ankles from rolling. You also could go the ankle brace method (which my physical therapist recommends on long runs still). The ones he recommended was "Active Ankle" or "Swede-O". Active Ankle is faster to put on and take off and interferes with range of motion less, however the Swede-O gives more stability and is more comfortable to wear.

Those are ways to go though. Exercises from my PT can also help which I can help you out with (as best as I can online) if you want.

Hope this helps