advised CI lower than BMR?

Options
Hello everyone , my goal is to lose about 20 - 25 pounds by summer 2015 and I am new to Mfp, so I'm not sure how to deal with this. So, as advised by the site I've been trying to keep my cal intake around 1200 even though my calculated Bmr is around 1350 . I exercise 6/7 and not very high intensity and try to eat most of those calories back. in the beginning I lost a couple of pounds but lately I seem to be stuck, if not gaining. I am not doing much different so wondering , could it be because of
- CI<BMR???
P.s: my aim was to loose about half a kg a week ( so about a pound a week )
... and though I'm posing this question now this is a before holidays issue so I'm not regarding these days, when I suppose I might even gain a few...

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Stats? Age/height/weight/goal weight? How long has it been since you lost? And can you open your diary? We need more information to figure out what is happening.
  • Juvenica
    Juvenica Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    age 26 , I'm 5'3'' about 145 pounds , haven't weighted in 2 days , goal weight around 122,
  • Juvenica
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I just did.... so anyone got an idea???
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    How accurate is your food logging? Do you weigh/measure everything? Often we eat more than we think.
    I'm same height as you only older, to lose I can eat 1600.
    Currently I'm maintaining at 135lbs eating 2000.
    When you haven't very much to lose weight loss is slower, even aim for 1/2 lb per week?
    I lost 20 lbs in total and never lost more than that a week. I've kept my weight off for over a year and I feel that doing it slowly was key ☺

Wishing you every success.
  • Juvenica
    Options
    well , in terms of time I'm a beginner , just over a month in mfp and cal counting. don't live is us and most of my food is homemade, and yet don't have a kitchen scale , I think I ought to buy one asap. I'm not that much in a rush, I've been overweight my whole life and tried many crash diets before trying mfp so I know fast weight-loss is not supposed to be Ferrari style, just worried I guess.
    well done on your progress though, keep up the good work
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    First, no it has nothing to do with the goal below BMR. The don't eat below BMR thing is a myth tied into the "starvation mode" myth.

Second, if you're eating 1200 plus exercise calories, you're probably about BMR anyway.

Third, weight loss isn't linear.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    You're probably eating more than you think. Are you taking the homemade recipes from the database? The users who enter those most likely don't make the recipe the same way you do, so it's going to be inaccurate. The best thing to do is use the recipe calculator (the old one, as the new one is extremely faulty) for meals you make. And as you already said you don't have a scale, your portions are probably being underestimated.
  • Juvenica
    Options
    yes I was taking them from the database, I know they probably don't cook the same way I do , just figured that's the closest thing . Thanks for the tip, the recipe calc, will check it out. Tigers also thanks for the reply .
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Juvenica wrote: »
    yes I was taking them from the database, I know they probably don't cook the same way I do , just figured that's the closest thing . Thanks for the tip, the recipe calc, will check it out. Tigers also thanks for the reply .

Buy a scale - digital one

Weigh everything

Be very careful with your choices from the database - use the barcode scanner where possible, or choose entries with lots of confirmations, if in doubt google check foodstuff. Never use homemade entries, build your own recipes instead.

If using the MFP database or gym machines for workout calories only eat back 50-75% ..both overestimate