Cheat day problem

Options
2»

Replies

• UnicornAmanda
    UnicornAmanda Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I think you should eliminate cheat days. I would not restrict any foods. You can still have all the foods you love, just not as much or all at once. Have what ever food you want just focus on fitting it into your daily calorie goal. Some days if you go over, whatever, but dont devout a day to eat whatever you want or however much, that just never works....
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I don't do "cheat" days, because I'm doing nothing wrong. I eat what I want everyday, just in my allotment. If I happen to go over, I log it and move on.
  • AmigaMaria001
    AmigaMaria001 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    I don't do "cheat" days, because I'm doing nothing wrong. I eat what I want everyday, just in my allotment. If I happen to go over, I log it and move on.
    I don't need a cheat day either. I eat whatever my little heart desires within my calorie maintenance. It keeps me satisfied that way, so it's sustainable and I don't feel deprived.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I woul try having small portions of the food you like every day instead of feeling deprived and like you are cheating or going totally overboard once a week.
    If you can't eat limited amounts then maybe you do need to totally stop eating those foods. They probably aren't worth it anyway.
  • kcd1961
    kcd1961 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    hvwqi57ltyiu.jpg
    Aiming for .5 kg per week gives you a lot more wiggle room for treats. Increase your activity (if possible) and get a bit more. It will take longer but will be a mot more manageable and sustainable.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    AglaeaC wrote: »
    Hi, I read two types of usage of "cheat day" here, one which is quite neutral and simply means the writer won't care that much about what goes in on that particular day, and the other which has problems or is close to developing problems due to applying the concept.

Yes--I really don't know what you mean by a "cheat day," although it sounds like it's not working for you.

At one point I did a "treat meal" plan--which is how I tend to read "cheat meal," unless the person specifies, and for me that worked out okay. What it meant was that I'd go for a certain number of calories in a week and save up calories throughout (exercise or by eating less) so that I could have a more indulgent meal one day that would be hard to fit into my regular (low) calorie limit. Typically that meant a restaurant meal where I wouldn't count calories too hard, but wouldn't go insane or anything. Since it was intended to be one meal I never experienced this spill over into the next day that people seem to be talking about--I guess the issue there is you essentially go off your diet (or your calorie restriction, if you prefer) for a day and then can't get back to it the next?

My concern with the "off the diet for a day" plan, although I'm sure it could work for some, is that I suspect there'd be a temptation to shove all sorts of things in and eat more than you were even really hungry for. Also, there might be a sense of waiting all week for that day, as opposed to learning to fit everything in within a daily limit (or weekly limit).
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Monna2 wrote: »
    999tigger wrote: »
    You didnt really bother to answer the importnat questions.
    Second, I understood what's behind the questions, and I contemplated them.
    Thank you for replying to my post.

Your diet, its just when people mention cheat days it just makes me wary about the rest of the diet plan. Logging food is the principle way to keep a record of what you eat and to know whether you are at a deficit. Thats a powerful tool. Being at a consistent deficit through burning more than you consume is the way to lose weight. Good luck anyway.
  • funchords
    funchords Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I log everything but I allow everything. So, depending on how you look at it, I have 0 cheat days or I'm on day 170 of cheat days (and down about 80 lbs.). Logging makes me aware of my situation and puts me in good-enough control. Let's get rid of the concept of "cheat" and just be accountable. Our bodies experience all of it, regardless -- so what is being cheated? Our brain, that's what.
  • AvsFreak
    AvsFreak Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Skip the cheat days and just fit foods you enjoy into your macros.