Was maintaining my weight on the amount I was eating, now losing?

Options
I was able to maintain my weight no problem on about 1,500 calories. I've recently starting losing weight pretty quickly on that amount. What should I do?

Replies

• mymodernbabylon
    mymodernbabylon Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Up your calories by 100-200 calories. See how it goes.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    has your activity increased at all? I would first increase calories a little as above poster said, but sudden and unexplained weight loss is an indicator that something may be medically wrong so if you increase calories for a couple weeks and the loss does not slow down then a trip to the doctor might be in order.
  • mymodernbabylon
    mymodernbabylon Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    And quit asking the exact same question OVER AND OVER AND OVER AGAIN on the same forum.
  • estherdfoster
    estherdfoster Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    this is the site i use to look at how many calories i need for either maintaining, losing or gaining, and it shows per amount each week you prefer to lose or gain.
    http://www.calculator.net/calorie-calculator.html
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I did that twice. Hit maintenance and was stable for a year, then lost 5 pounds. I upped my calories by 250 and maintained another year. Then I did it again a year later. My metabolism or my exercise changed apparently, as they do over time. You just adjust.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I was able to maintain my weight no problem on about 1,500 calories. I've recently starting losing weight pretty quickly on that amount. What should I do?

Eat more?
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,039 Member
    Options

You might give yourself the gift of going to see a sports medicine doctor or a really good credentialed personal trainer with some of the advanced testing on nutrition/weight/fitness tailored to you to lay out your nutritional needs. I have found that processed salty foods make me retain up to 5 more pounds of water, and therefore I weigh daily and look at the foods from the day before if I have more than one pound up or down. I don't change the calories necessarily, I eat between 1200 to 2000 a day. I have to estimate a lot of times as my job requires me to take clients and consultants out for breakfast and/or lunch.

I actually had an assessment session with a performing arts doctor and PT when I got to 10 pounds below my original goal... found out due to my bone structure I was at the right weight. (which is about 10-15 pounds below most charts). All the on line calculators and charts are estimates, not an exact science.