Anyone On A Particular Diet?

Options
I have been on and off MFP for a couple of years along with several "diets". I was following Jenny Craig for a while, but as soon as I go off their food, I gain all of the weight back. I was also on a diet based on a nutritionist's recommendations. I am ready to get serious about losing weight and was wondering if it is possible to do this without any guidelines - just staying within my calorie limit. Also, at this point it is difficult for me to exercise due to back pain and knee pain. Thank you in advance.

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    That's what I do ..ie I eat food I like to my calorie defecit goal and it works

I know how much of things I can eat, what kind of foods I should have in my fridge, on my shopping list

I cut out nothing ...I just make it work

So I don't crash and burn or binge

Try it ...work out how to eat your favourite foods
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I dont follow a specific diet as cutting foods i love causes me to binge. Although i just started read the lean body diet by Lou Schuler and Alan Alagon which discusses strategies and exercise routines for calories in vs out. If you like structure, it may be worth picking up.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    There is no need for any particular diet. Most diets restrict high calorie foods, giving you a calorie deficit by default. Unfortunately, those diets don't teach you how to have those high calorie foods in moderation. You'll find it's easier to stay within your calories on days where you eat loads of veggies, for example.

As for exercise, exercise makes weight loss easier. Have you talked with your doctor about pain management and exercises you can do?
  • jillmarie125
    jillmarie125 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    calories in vs. calories out. works everytime.
  • mrsKOrtiz
    mrsKOrtiz Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    I am not on a "diet". The stage that I am on right now is learning that I don't have to live to eat but eat to live. I am learning to have self discipline (although this is a long lasting parti of the entire journey). But anyway I am changing my lifestyle.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    I'm on the "eat what I want in moderation" diet. That's all you need to do. And as MFP's calorie goal is given to you without exercise, as long as you're accurate in your logging you'll lose weight.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    A diet is just a plan of eating. I'm on the same diet in maintenance as I was in weight loss.
    malibu927 wrote: »
    I'm on the "eat what I want in moderation" diet. That's all you need to do. And as MFP's calorie goal is given to you without exercise, as long as you're accurate in your logging you'll lose weight.

• mymodernbabylon
    mymodernbabylon Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I found my TDEE on the Scooby Workshop Calculator, figured out my 15% deficit and ate to that. This is what worked so very well for me and what I will use again when I go in another deficit to lose a bit more weight (I've been maintaining for 4 or so months) - I'm currently eating at TDEE.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    I don't follow a particular diet. I follow IIFYM (If it fits your macros). As long as its within my calorie goal and the carbs, protein, and fat work I eat it :) I also follow the TDEE-20% method
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I eat now the way I learned to eat when I was changing my healthstyle. My eating looks like a mediterranean diet meets south beach diet (which is based on the mediterranean diet). So, basically: nutrient dense vegetables, legumes, nuts and seeds, fruit, some WHOLE grains, some dairy, and some lean proteins, mostly fish. Minimally processed.

I eat food, mostly plants, not too much.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Losing weight was easier when I was on a strict diet, lol. There weren't many choices to make!

I'm not one of those people who can eat everything they like. I like a LOT of bad foods, lol. I'm trying to have a healthy diet.

So, I have cut a bunch of stuff out in favor of healthier things. But I also added a lot of healthier things that I actually enjoy more than the junk. So, yay that. I don't miss the Crunch Berries because I prefer the real berries now. :)

But I don't have a seriously restricted diet anymore and have been advised to just stick with eating healthy stuff, keep low on fat and lower my sodium.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    Unless a medical need is involved, there isn't any need for a special diet. Make sure your MFP profile is set appropriately with a reasonable weekly weight loss goal and hit your macros. Have patience and you will lose the weight.
  • goingforahundred
    goingforahundred Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Like many others are doing, I don't have a diet. In the past I have failed on diets more times than I can count. So, this time I have decided that I am going to eat what I want, as long as I don't go over my calorie goal. Really the only restrictions I have placed on myself is that I am not drinking any soda and I am trying very hard not to eat processed foods. Because I have given myself permission to eat what I like I believe I am actually being more diligent and making better choices. I, too, have some physical complications that keep me from being able to do much exercise. I have a walk in place video that I am able to do a couple of times a week. I hope that you find something that works for you.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I loosely follow Dr. Mcdougall's plan, because I am a vegetarian that prefers that style of food.

Loosely meaning- I count my calories, and eat cheesecake sometimes.
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    The minute I stopped "dieting" was the same minute I began losing weight!
    Like many others, I eat whatever I want but much less of it and I move my body.
    Been within a healthy bmi for years now.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    The only thing that has worked for me is alternate day fasting. I've lost 20ish lbs in a little over 2mths. Best thing is it doesn't cost a cent, I'm actually saving money and it's easy.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I eat anything, but not everything at once, and not all the time.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »

Yep^^