Was maintaining my weight, now losing

Options
I was able to maintain my weight no problem on about 1,500 calories. I've recently starting losing weight pretty quickly on that amount. What should I do? Thanks!

Replies

• 365andstillalive
    365andstillalive Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    ...eat more?
    If you're losing, you clearly aren't eating enough calories to maintain. Look at approximately how much you've lost over how long and that will give you an idea of how much more you need to eat. For example, if you've lost 1lb over 2 weeks, you should be eating about 250 cals a day more (as that's the deficit you'd need to lose 0.5lbs per week).
    Maintenance is really all trial and error.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Eat more - 1,500/day isn't much.

Even when you have been maintaining a while you still have to make adjustments from time to time. I had to bump my calories up when the weather turned cold for example!
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    Like you I am also losing weight right now, so I plan on eating more in order to put some weight back on again. I'm tired of hearing people say that I look too thin.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I maintained for a year on 1400 calories (net). Then I suddenly dropped 5 pounds and had to start eating more. I did that for another year and dropped again. Upped the calories and I'm fine. My weight has been quite stable over my life and I think it just changed it's set point over time. You adjust.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Eat more...you haven't found your maintenance cals yet is all...it can take a number of weeks to find your TDEE.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    nxd10 wrote: »
    I maintained for a year on 1400 calories (net). Then I suddenly dropped 5 pounds and had to start eating more. I did that for another year and dropped again. Upped the calories and I'm fine. My weight has been quite stable over my life and I think it just changed it's set point over time. You adjust.

nxd10 that is good to know info. Thanks.

• estherdfoster
    estherdfoster Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    this is the site i use to look at how many calories i need for either maintaining, losing or gaining, and it shows per amount each week you prefer to lose or gain.
    http://www.calculator.net/calorie-calculator.html