When people call this a DIET!

Options
lisalips30
lisalips30 Posts: 1,519 Member
edited December 2014 in Introduce Yourself
This sort of makes me angry, people at work know i'm watching what I eat, They have seen me go from 250lbs to 185 in 6 months. I pack my lunches sometimes for work, or if I have to I choose carefully what I eat anywhere. Well I kid you not, at least once a week I get someone who walks into the break room, looks at what I am eating and asks 'is that your diet food'? grr,, and i'm having like a baked potatoe and meat with a salad or something, I always say, 'no,I'm not on a diet. They just say oh! I always thought you were. Or here is my favorite one,, 'Should you be eating that since you're on a diet'?? where's the punching bag when you need one. hahah. I try to explain to them that when you watch what you eat and have control over your portions, you can eat what you want!! Anyone have these issues with people who just don't get it?

Replies

• 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    The first example wouldnt bother me, thats their own lack of knowledge. The second example is slighly intrusive and patrinising, but tbh neither of them would bother or annoy me enough. Not sure why you let it wind you up, you are having grear success and they are just a minor distraction, certainly not worth wasting any energy on imo.
  • jillmarie125
    jillmarie125 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I have lost about 85 pounds and i get those comments all the time. The one that pisses me off the most is "you can't eat that, you are on a diet." as if, i haven't proved i know what i am doing by now.
  • richardositosanchez
    Options
    No because the people who don't get it refuse to believe me when I say that if you just count calories and watch your portions you can lose weight. Instead they choose to go on these fad diets that don't work, or they'll lose a lot of weight in a short period of time and then gain it all back and then some.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Food police p!ss me off, too. Just call out the people that do it. I don't know if you food police other people, but telling them "Hey I don't pick on what you're eating. Why do it to me?" might get them to back off (or not say anything to your face). I do call what/how I eat a diet because that's one of the definitions of the word.
  • lisalips30
    lisalips30 Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    exactly!! I have the same lady come in when I work because my lunch time is when she punches in, looks right at me and always says, what are you eating? I told her one day, food! she was like 'oh'. lol. hahah
  • mykaylis
    mykaylis Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    oh god, tell me about it. my husband asked me if i should be eating X the other day. i gave him THE LOOK and said 'i can eat whatever i want. i'm not on a diet."

i'm CHANGING MY DIET. i'm not "on" a diet. cause any time i would go "on" a diet i would go "off" my diet. i'm breaking some bad habits, me.. used to have extra large triple triple coffees (at least two per day). now i have a coffee with one cream. i used to drink 2L of soda a day. now i drink water mostly. i love water. crave it. this is what a lifestyle change looks like. this is not "on a diet".