Question about HRM and BMR

Options
rosebette
rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
edited December 2014 in Fitness and Exercise
So my XMas gift from my husband is a fitness tracker and calorie counter with heart rate monitor that I can wear all day and night. I got a Polar, but am returning it because I hate the chest strap and going for the Fit Charge HR. However, with my one-day experience with the Polar, I have a question about how to estimate your calories to eat with one of these devices. I had the Polar on all day (except to sleep because the chest monitor is too uncomfortable) and and I noticed even when I was driving or sitting at the computer, it was still counting that I was burning some calories. If the device is measuring calories based on heart rate, including when you sleep, is this basically your BMR + your activity? Then, if you want to lose, should you be eating at a deficit from that total number -- say 500 less to lose 1 lb. a week?

Replies

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    MFP has a Fitbit Users group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1290-fitbit-users

Your Fitbit burn is your TDEE. When you connect your accounts, MFP compares your activity level to your Fitbit burn & adjusts your daily calorie goal accordingly.

I have a Fitbit Flex and eat back all my adjustments. I lost the weight and have maintained for six months. And it's super motivating. If I get home and see I'm thisclose to goal, I walk around the block. You can add friends & do challenges, too.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    rosebette wrote: »
    So my XMas gift from my husband is a fitness tracker and calorie counter with heart rate monitor that I can wear all day and night. I got a Polar, but am returning it because I hate the chest strap and going for the Fit Charge HR. However, with my one-day experience with the Polar, I have a question about how to estimate your calories to eat with one of these devices. I had the Polar on all day (except to sleep because the chest monitor is too uncomfortable) and and I noticed even when I was driving or sitting at the computer, it was still counting that I was burning some calories. If the device is measuring calories based on heart rate, including when you sleep, is this basically your BMR + your activity? Then, if you want to lose, should you be eating at a deficit from that total number -- say 500 less to lose 1 lb. a week?

No. The formulas used by HRMs do not accurately calculate all day wear. They only come close to accurate for certain steady state cardio activities.
  • packer43064
    packer43064 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I got the Polar FT6 for Christmas. Idk which one you have, but mine is only supposed to be worn during exercise. Also the strap doesn't bother me at all when excersizing. I don't even know it is there.