Why can my husband eat ridiculous amounts of food and not gain a pound and I can't?

Options

Replies

• Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    It'll catch up with him one day ;)

You mean like it caught up with me?

Oh wait, it didn't.

It did for me and hubby, and most people I know who are over 40!

I just turned 40 in May and am the same weight I was at 18. I gained a lot in my 30's, but at 37 started losing it all and I haven't had any trouble keeping it off. I don't believe that your metabolism really changes dramatically at some magic age like 40. I think it's more gradual than that and small changes can overcome it anyway. Maybe at menopause there is some dramatic shift, but haven't hit that yet, so we'll see.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    Ugh, I know it sucks. This may sound very Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm-ish, but when I start to feel this way, I remember that there are things about my life that other people envy. Everyone has something in life that seems "harder." Everybody has something to deal with.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    Don't waste your time comparing yourself to other people, not even your husband. Even though it appears he eats a ridiculous amount of calories, the amount may be appropriate for him.
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    I gather from your profile you weigh quite a bit less than 165. And since you're female you're likely not anywhere near 5'11".

Your husband has put on weight by exceeding his caloric needs, and has apparently lost weight by doing the opposite.

If you ate like your husband, you would be exceeding your caloric needs, just as your husband exceeded his caloric needs once upon a time.

You're 2 different people.

I wish I could eat like someone who weighs significantly more than I do and who is significantly taller than me, and somehow maintain a healthy weight for my frame... but I can't. Would be nice though.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Aviva92 wrote: »

Oh wait, it didn't.

I just turned 40 in May and am the same weight I was at 18. I gained a lot in my 30's, but at 37 started losing it all and I haven't had any trouble keeping it off. I don't believe that your metabolism really changes dramatically at some magic age like 40. I think it's more gradual than that and small changes can overcome it anyway. Maybe at menopause there is some dramatic shift, but haven't hit that yet, so we'll see.

If you refernce many of the metabolic formulas (katch mcardle or harris benedict) there is little variation in rates between a 20 year old and 40 year old. IIRC, its something like 200 calories. Generally the bigger factors are lifestyle changes and exercise.

Edit: with my stats, adjust age by 20 years alters metabolic functions by 140 calories.
  • Aviva92
    edited December 2014
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    Aviva92 wrote: »

Oh wait, it didn't.

If you refernce many of the metabolic formulas (katch mcardle or harris benedict) there is little variation in rates between a 20 year old and 40 year old. IIRC, its something like 200 calories. Generally the bigger factors are lifestyle changes and exercise.

Edit: with my stats, adjust age by 20 years alters metabolic functions by 140 calories.

yeah, that makes sense. i'm sure it is gradual too. small changes can easily overcome that. i became super lazy in my 30's. i think that's a big part of why i gained weight. tried to stop that as i approached 40 and lost a lot of weight.
  • UnicornAmanda
    UnicornAmanda Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Mine is like that too. All the adults on both sides of his family are really thin and can eat whatever they want.wish i was that lucky lol
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    Another thing: As I've been thinking, 5'11 165 pounds is not terribly thin to be eating that amount and not gain. If he were more like 150 pounds at that height and eating that amount of food (which I'm thinking there are probably some people that can do that), then it would be more remarkable.
  • mariaoutlook
    Options
    But is he healthy?

I have a friend who eats large quantities of Chinese or Indian take away food every day. Rice, deep fried chips, battered chicken balls, sweet and sour marinated pork... He looks healthy but he probably has cholesterol, high blood pressure, etc.
  • GatorDeb1
    GatorDeb1 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Because men suck.

/End Thread

(I got one of those too).
  • eatliveplay
    eatliveplay Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Lourdesong wrote: »
    I gather from your profile you weigh quite a bit less than 165. And since you're female you're likely not anywhere near 5'11".

Your husband has put on weight by exceeding his caloric needs, and has apparently lost weight by doing the opposite.

If you ate like your husband, you would be exceeding your caloric needs, just as your husband exceeded his caloric needs once upon a time.

I wish I could eat like someone who weighs significantly more than I do and who is significantly taller than me, and somehow maintain a healthy weight for my frame... but I can't. Would be nice though.
    Really? I mean....really? :\
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    auntrhon66 wrote: »
    auntrhon66 wrote: »
    D

Doubtful...why would you even think that?

he's only 30... my hubby was the same. Once he hit 45ish the weight started piling on. He just can't eat what he used to and still stay slim.
    I was the same in my 20's and 30's. I could eat what I wanted and not gain weight. However, once I hit 40 that all changed unfortunately. Now I have to work at staying at a healthy weight :(

Not everyone is like that tho so no, you cannot generalize everyone like that.

True, but most people's metabolisms slow down as they age. She says he was heavier previously, as well.
  • uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    Options

2thhqot0e2ym.jpg
  • Aviva92
    Options
    But is he healthy?

I have a friend who eats large quantities of Chinese or Indian take away food every day. Rice, deep fried chips, battered chicken balls, sweet and sour marinated pork... He looks healthy but he probably has cholesterol, high blood pressure, etc.

does thinking that help you to sleep better at night? likely that he is perfectly healthy.
  • pope66682
    pope66682 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Eat healthy to be healthy, not skinny
  • bnmoyler
    bnmoyler Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    But is he healthy?

He's pretty healthy- me and the kids are pretty much dietary vegans so he is too most of the time. He eats whatever I prepare. He just eats like 3 or 4 plates.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options

Really? I mean....really? :\

Not sure what the problem is. 5'11" is somewhere around 99th percentile for women, so the previous poster is correct, it is very unlikely.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    ETA: Well...reading is fundamental. Just realized the OP said her husband isn't naturally thin...so if you don't want to read a post that doesn't quite fit the OP...don't read on, LOL.

I have found that with naturally thin people, when they eat, they seem to eat junk, and a lot of it, but when they're done, they're DONE.

With a naturally thin person (at least the ones I've known), if they split an order with nachos for you, at some point they'll just look at the plate with disgust and go, "I'm about to blow up" and then they...stop.

The waiter comes out and asks whether the two of you want dessert and the thin person goes, "No way, I couldn't stick one more thing in." Or something to that effect.

With me...if I see that plate in front of me and I've already "blown my diet" (at least until recently, when I've really been cracking down), if there's nacho left...I have to eat it. If there's one glob of cheese...in it HAS to go. It HAS to. I may have felt full halfway through my munching and now my stomach may be distended but I have to finish that darned plate because "Who knows when I'll get this opportunity again?" When the waitress asks me about dessert, I may be about to blow chunks all over the table but I will hesitate almost (I hope) imperceptibly before shame-facedly mimicking my friend with "Oh no, I couldn't eat another bite." If I had no shame, by God I'd be ordering that molten lava cake piece and sticking it in somewhere. I'd find a pocket in my stomach. Somehow. And odds are after I get home, and I've had maybe half an hour or an hour to go from about-to-vomit to there's-a-pocket-in-there-somewhere, I'll be grabbing a Snickers or something at home...because it "wasn't fair" that I "had to" skip dessert.

Thin people do pig out. And when they pig out, they pig out but good. But then they're FINISHED and they may be so stuffed they skip dinner (if the stuffing was at lunch) or they may eat only a few bites.

I don't believe thin people really pig out more than fat people do, when it comes down to total calories, at least overall. Sure, there are a few people with insanely high metabolisms and a few who do seem to gain if they eat just a few calories over maintenance for long enough. But I think the vast majority of us fall somewhere in the middle.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    For various reasons, men usually burn more calories than women. Also, people who are thought of as being able to eat whatever they want are often eating less at other times than people realize or they are eating less calorie dense food. Also, women tend to crave chocolate more than men do.
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    LAWoman72 wrote: »
    ETA: Well...reading is fundamental. Just realized the OP said her husband isn't naturally thin...so if you don't want to read a post that doesn't quite fit the OP...don't read on, LOL.

I have found that with naturally thin people, when they eat, they seem to eat junk, and a lot of it, but when they're done, they're DONE.

With a naturally thin person (at least the ones I've known), if they split an order with nachos for you, at some point they'll just look at the plate with disgust and go, "I'm about to blow up" and then they...stop.

The waiter comes out and asks whether the two of you want dessert and the thin person goes, "No way, I couldn't stick one more thing in." Or something to that effect.

With me...if I see that plate in front of me and I've already "blown my diet" (at least until recently, when I've really been cracking down), if there's nacho left...I have to eat it. If there's one glob of cheese...in it HAS to go. It HAS to. I may have felt full halfway through my munching and now my stomach may be distended but I have to finish that darned plate because "Who knows when I'll get this opportunity again?" When the waitress asks me about dessert, I may be about to blow chunks all over the table but I will hesitate almost (I hope) imperceptibly before shame-facedly mimicking my friend with "Oh no, I couldn't eat another bite." If I had no shame, by God I'd be ordering that molten lava cake piece and sticking it in somewhere. I'd find a pocket in my stomach. Somehow. And odds are after I get home, and I've had maybe half an hour or an hour to go from about-to-vomit to there's-a-pocket-in-there-somewhere, I'll be grabbing a Snickers or something at home...because it "wasn't fair" that I "had to" skip dessert.

Thin people do pig out. And when they pig out, they pig out but good. But then they're FINISHED and they may be so stuffed they skip dinner (if the stuffing was at lunch) or they may eat only a few bites.

I don't believe thin people really pig out more than fat people do, when it comes down to total calories, at least overall. Sure, there are a few people with insanely high metabolisms and a few who do seem to gain if they eat just a few calories over maintenance for long enough. But I think the vast majority of us fall somewhere in the middle.
    Interesting analysis. I know for me I couldn't just plow through dessert after being almost stuffed from dinner.