Options

Replies

• J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    auntrhon66 wrote: »
    J72FIT wrote: »
    Kalikel wrote: »
    I think it's important for kids to have breakfast, especially during the school year.

For adults, I think everyone should do whatever works for them.

Agree...

Actually, my daughter NEVER ate breakfast when she was in school and she did just fine...healthy as a horse and is a healthy weight/BMI for a young adult so this is rubbish!

Happy for your daughter but no, it's not...
  • hallen38
    Options
    I eat when I'm hungry and sometimes breakfast is at 2pm. when it is a work day I have dimplemeier rye bread with peanut butter.(dr oz said this is the way to go also) and it sustains me for several hours since I don't stop for lunch. I eat on the fly, bite,back to work, that goes on all day. wish it was the way I could do it at home cause I am always my lightest after a work week. its the weekend i'm weak ..
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    keziak1 wrote: »
    I've read lots of places that it's important to eat breakfast to get one's metabolism up for the day. Today I read in Weight Watchers that recent studies have found no difference in weight over a period of a few months in groups either eating or skipping breakfast. Perhaps this indicates that any bump-up in metabolism from eating early is not great.

Bodies don't have little clocks; they can't tell time. If you aren't hungry at breakfast, adjust to hit your goals for the rest of the day. If you are, power to you. Eating food will not affect your metabolism or its ability to run during the day.

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I've read lots of places that it's important to eat breakfast to get one's metabolism up for the day. Today I read in Weight Watchers that recent studies have found no difference in weight over a period of a few months in groups either eating or skipping breakfast. Perhaps this indicates that any bump-up in metabolism from eating early is not great.

Has NO relevance at all...

QFT
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    what is important is your daily macro targets spread throughout the say. From everything I've read specific means are not that important.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I think it's important for kids to have breakfast, especially during the school year.

Agree...

Actually, my daughter NEVER ate breakfast when she was in school and she did just fine...healthy as a horse and is a healthy weight/BMI for a young adult so this is rubbish!

My son is the same way, but... we homeschool and there are days where the lack of breakfast is clearly doing him no favors when it comes to taking new information on board.

I'm a big believer in not making children eat and enforcing habits that enable them to learn to listen to their hunger signals, but there's a connection between food energy and brain energy in my experience. We often have to break for him to have some yogurt or at least a glass of milk and some toast. It's funny how some food clarifies concepts for him.

• UnicornAmanda
    UnicornAmanda Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I HATE breakfast, always have. But i feel better typically when i eat in the morning even if its just a little something like crackers or something.
  • cwlsr
    cwlsr Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I wil

Bodies don't have little clocks; they can't tell time. If you aren't hungry at breakfast, adjust to hit your goals for the rest of the day. If you are, power to you. Eating food will not affect your metabolism or its ability to run during the day.

I will keep it short! I don't agree with the quotes above. You may not have heard of the "Circadian Rhythm" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circadian_rhythm . If you fine tune your way of living your body will run like a well oil machine that it is. Recommendation: Eat your food at specific times regularly and your body will assimilate your food better.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    cwlsr wrote: »
    I wil

I will keep it short! I don't agree with the quotes above. You may not have heard of the "Circadian Rhythm" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circadian_rhythm . If you fine tune your way of living your body will run like a well oil machine that it is. Recommendation: Eat your food at specific times regularly and your body will assimilate your food better.

Which for me, working shifts in retail and going to school, is next to impossible. Yet I'm losing by eating at a time that is convenient for me.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options

Agree...

Breakfast isn't necessary for weight loss or health but several studies have shown that eating breakfast enhances focus and increases learning in school age kids. So it's not really rubbish.
    That's not to say that kids can't do well in school without it but the studies have shown that they tend to perform better in school if they eat breakfast.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »

Agree...

Breakfast isn't necessary for weight loss or health but several studies have shown that eating breakfast enhances focus and increases learning in school age kids. So it's not really rubbish.
    That's not to say that kids can't do well in school without it but the studies have shown that they tend to perform better in school if they eat breakfast.

Especially when you take into account that children's brains are still developing. I am not advocating forcing children to eat, but to say it's rubbish is a bit extreme IMO.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    I'm sure I read a study where they said that people who had a high protein breakfast were more likely to maintain their weight loss. Yes, that is not equivalent to losing weight and I do agree that CICO rules all, but it seems like a good habit to develop for the long term.
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options
    Eating intervals are very individual, as demonstrated by this thread. There really isn't an ultimate truth to the matter that covers every person on this Earth.

However, for people like myself, who have diagnosed issues with resting metabolism and thyroid function due to things like eating disorders, eating at regular intervals is a must and generally requires a breakfast of some sort. Breakfast can also be vital for diabetics and people being treated for pre-diabetic syndrome, as establishing and regulating the blood sugar is important to overall health. My point being, you have to look at your life, the issues you are dealing with, and adjust accordingly.

Ultimately, the deficit is the key... we just all have to structure this deficit in different ways to be successful. Trying to fit what worked for one person to the life and body of another person is pointless.

Also, with recent studies, they have still indicated that drinking water or a cup of coffee on an empty stomach in the morning can set things in motion just about as effectively as a full-on meal, and they stress that most adults have a lot of success with that simplicity. It's really not a study on whether "breakfast" is important, but rather what should we ingest in the morning.. and they still conclude that people feel more energized and healthy when they regularly instigate peristalsis in the morning i.e. activating the digestive system by ingesting food or liquid.
  • ketorach
    ketorach Posts: 430 Member
    Options

Agree...

Honestly, you are the most antagonistic poster I've seen on this site. Every single comment is combative or dismissive. Why?

• MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    keziak1 wrote:
    I've read lots of places that it's important to eat breakfast to get one's metabolism up for the day.
    It doesn't have much of an effect on metabolism, which goes chugging along pretty much the same no matter what we do to it (short-term, at least... if you consistently starve yourself it will slow, and exercise does increase it slightly for a couple of hours).

However...
    Eating breakfast is associated with losing more weight than not eating breakfast,
    and eating most of your calories early in the day is associated with greater weight loss than following the typical American plan of eating (small breakfast, big dinner), even if the calorie intake is the same.

Here's a blog post I did discussing & linking to several studies.
    (You know, science? Research? Evidence? Not just personal stories, but looking at lots of people in a controlled way.)
    From the last half of that post...:

This study compared eating a small breakfast, medium lunch, and large dinner, [200, 500, 700 cal]
    with eating a large breakfast, medium lunch, and small dinner [700, 500, 200 cal].
    "The [large breakfast] group showed greater weight loss and waist circumference reduction ... fasting glucose, insulin [&] triglycerides ... decreased significantly to a greater extent in the [large breakfast] group."
    In addition, hunger was less and satiety was greater.
    Abstract: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23512957
    Full text:
    http://genetics.doctorsonly.co.il/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/Jakubowicz-at-al-Obesity-2013-oby20460.pdf

"subjects assigned to high caloric intake during breakfast lost significantly more weight than those assigned to high caloric intake during the dinner"
    Abstract: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24467926
    Full text: http://www.tradewindsports.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/Nutrient-Timing-and-Obesity-2014.pdf

"data suggest that a low-calorie Mediterranean diet with a higher amount of calories in the first part of the day could establish a greater reduction in fat mass and improved insulin sensitivity than a typical daily diet."
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24809437

"Breakfast is associated with lower body weight ..."
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24898236

51637601.png
  • laurajo521
    laurajo521 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Breakfast is my biggest meal of the day and I try (although you can't tell today) to get a lot of protein in. This is what my doctor suggested, and after having tried absolutely every diet/meal plan along the way, I find that I am having more success with this as far as not feeling like I am starving but still losing weight.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    auntrhon66 wrote:
    My daughter can't and won't eat breakfast very often as it makes her sick to her stomach early in the morning.
    I used to be the same way, but once I read the research I started slowly increasing how much I had for breakfast until I was having up to 1/2 of my calories for breakfast.

As I lower my calorie goal, it becomes harder to stick to this (esp. in the evenings), but it's been working for me. And if I work out later in the afternoon, that lowers hunger in the evening too.
    And to be fair, just having lower calories is hard to stick with all by itself!

• TopazCutie
    TopazCutie Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Eating time doesn't matter.

Last year I had a ton of success skipping breakfast (many fitness enthusiasts call it "intermittent fasting"). I would get hungrier during the day though, and end up eating bigger portions during the evening which was fine as long as I didn't eat past a certain hour like 7pm. I used to skip breakfast like the plague because I found that it "cracked the seal" and made me want to eat more overall during the day.

Now its different! I'm finding that I prefer having breakfast (smoothie or toast with PB - all portioned out and calories accounted for). This really does work at feeling less hungry during the day now.

So long story short, your preferences will change. just do what feels easiest to you!