Anyone on a plant-based diet?

Options
I'm thinking of ditching calorie counting and moving to a plant based diet. I'm just wondering if anybody else is on one and I'm wondering what your results are?

Replies

• melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    you can totally gain weight on plant based foods, unfortunately.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options
    Your confused, obviously.
  • afchap23
    afchap23 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I still do keep track of my macros, however, my nutrition is plant based. I have more energy and less health issues since doing so in 2012.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    When you say "plant-based," I am assuming you mean "no meat." If that's what you mean, you can still overeat. Plenty of fat vegetarians. Not too many fat vegans, though. The ones I've known were always quite slim.

Oreos, pasta and all kinds of things that will increase your weight are OK for vegetarians, though. Easy to be fat and not eat meat.
  • mallory_2014
    mallory_2014 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Plant based doesn't mean healthy. Any diet can be healthy in moderation. You can still gain weight eating a plant based diet, vegetarian diet, vegan diet, etc. It doesn't mean healthy. To lose weight you need to eat less calories than your body uses in a day... Simple!
  • asbrassard91
    asbrassard91 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I follow a plant-based diet, but still find it absolutely necessary to count calories. It is easy to overeat even if you eliminate animal products from your diet and there are plenty of vegan junk foods.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking of ditching calorie counting and moving to a plant based diet. I'm just wondering if anybody else is on one and I'm wondering what your results are?

What specifically are you trying to accomplish, and what are your expectations?

• Maitria
    Maitria Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Vegans still have the same challenges anyone else does. There are lots of great vegan foods, and you don't have to be buying the specialty items to get them. There are plenty of common foods that are easy to overeat that are "accidentally vegan." Do you have strong beliefs that would help you maintain this diet?
  • sarahrachel90
    sarahrachel90 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Guys, no. I am talking about PLANT BASED. No unnatural sugars (so no oreos for me), no processed foods, nothing like that. It is about healthy grains like oatmeal, quinoa, brown rice, healthy fats like avocado and hummus, healthy veggies and fruits, natural almond milk, legumes, and my favourite...sweet potatoes!

I am aware that calorie counting helps you lose weight, but it causes me to think about food a lot, when i could be thinking about other things. There is so much research and evidence that a plant based vegan diet can help your health in ways no other diet can!

I am not doing this to lose weight...I am doing it for compassionate and health reasons. I was simply just wondering if anybody else was on a plant based diets and what their results were. I didn't mean I was going to just start binging on vegan foods because that's obviously unhealthy!!!:/
  • hgwill78
    hgwill78 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I eat a whole food plant based diet and have for over a year. I've lost 70 pounds...because I track my calories. I feel great and I'm in the best shape of my life. It's a great way to eat if you like to cook, but all the plant-based books have it wrong when they tell you not to track calories. You CAN eat too much brown rice and oatmeal. If you eat more than you burn, you're not going to lose weight.
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    I am vegan and I stick mainly with "whole" foods. We don't eat a lot of meat analogs, or fake cheeses. My main diet consists of fruit, veg, beans, oats, pasta. Pretty bring actually. I do use non bone char sugar in my baking, I don't use any sugar substitutes like agave, Stevia etc etc etc.

Oh, I also gained weight when I started eating this way. And still have about 60 lbs to lose. While my numbers, cholesterol triglycerides all dropped significantly with the switch, counting and logging calories is what is getting results as far as my weight is concerned.
  • Maitria
    Maitria Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Guys, no. I am talking about PLANT BASED. No unnatural sugars (so no oreos for me), no processed foods, nothing like that. It is about healthy grains like oatmeal, quinoa, brown rice, healthy fats like avocado and hummus, healthy veggies and fruits, natural almond milk, legumes, and my favourite...sweet potatoes!

I am aware that calorie counting helps you lose weight, but it causes me to think about food a lot, when i could be thinking about other things. There is so much research and evidence that a plant based vegan diet can help your health in ways no other diet can!

I am not doing this to lose weight...I am doing it for compassionate and health reasons. I was simply just wondering if anybody else was on a plant based diets and what their results were. I didn't mean I was going to just start binging on vegan foods because that's obviously unhealthy!!!:/

I follow a vegan diet. I asked about health or ethical reasons because it's a hard diet to stick to you if you don't have a good reason for it. If you do, go for it! I don't have an opinion on how it's affected my health, partly because I stopped eating meat as a child and partly because I don't choose the vegan diet for health reasons. I do love it though-I don't find it tough because it feels right for me.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I am not doing this to lose weight...I am doing it for compassionate and health reasons.

Oh, in that case, have at it! :) You'll probably do better asking that kind of question on a more vegetarian-type forum, although there are a reasonable number of Planties here, too.
  • LAMCDylan
    LAMCDylan Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Plant based diets are very hard. Getting enough protein is every hard. I was kind of like on a raw vegan and regular vegan diet for awhile. I was still overweight. The only way to feel full was to overeat and I filled up on carbs (this is what I know now). The thing about diets is, the best diet is the one that works best for you. I noticed majority of vegans are women, and nearly all of them are thin. If you want to be thin, eat like a bird, be hungry just to be skinny, then go for it. I've talked with many vegans who say they have more health problems being vegan than when they had a normal diet. I realized I needed to start adding in lean meats into my diet. A 250 lb muscular man has different needs than a 110 lb woman. Vegan diets are not for everyone. You have to think about internal health and not just "looking good" on the outside. I felt weak and sick on a vegan diet, and like I say, I had to compensate by overeating on carbs. Now that I got out of the vegan diet I still do eat lots of veggies, seaweeds, nuts, seeds, legumes etc. I make it a point to eat one salad a day. But I do have to eat meat and eggs. However, no dairy or red meat for me. People act very cult-like when it comes to diets and claim their diet is the best for EVERYONE. The best diet is the best one for YOU. Listen to your body.
  • Laurend224
    Options
    LAMCDylan wrote: »
    Plant based diets are very hard. Getting enough protein is every hard. I was kind of like on a raw vegan and regular vegan diet for awhile. I was still overweight. The only way to feel full was to overeat and I filled up on carbs (this is what I know now). The thing about diets is, the best diet is the one that works best for you. I noticed majority of vegans are women, and nearly all of them are thin. If you want to be thin, eat like a bird, be hungry just to be skinny, then go for it. I've talked with many vegans who say they have more health problems being vegan than when they had a normal diet. I realized I needed to start adding in lean meats into my diet. A 250 lb muscular man has different needs than a 110 lb woman. Vegan diets are not for everyone. You have to think about internal health and not just "looking good" on the outside. I felt weak and sick on a vegan diet, and like I say, I had to compensate by overeating on carbs. Now that I got out of the vegan diet I still do eat lots of veggies, seaweeds, nuts, seeds, legumes etc. I make it a point to eat one salad a day. But I do have to eat meat and eggs. However, no dairy or red meat for me. People act very cult-like when it comes to diets and claim their diet is the best for EVERYONE. The best diet is the best one for YOU. Listen to your body.

So you blamed your vegan diet for overeating and being overweight, yet only weak skinny women are vegans? What?

You can absolutely be a healthy, strong, vegan. And I think most long term vegans are doing it for ethical reasons, not for appearance sake.

• LAMCDylan
    edited January 2015
    Options
    You put words in my mouth that is not what I said. I hear tons of contradictory things between vegans all the time. Some eat legumes, others say they are bad. Some say things like honey, agave nectar, maple syrup are ok, others say they are bad. Some eat grains, others don't because they say they are bad. Some think cacao is a superfood others say it is toxic. The list goes on. Many vegans have no medical or biological background and usually get brainwashed by some health guru or some BS doctor. Not to mention how they get BS'd by marketers trying to push superfoods. When they look at studies they always put a spin on it or interpret it in such a way that it backs up their BS. You sound like another one of those diet cult followers. Why is it that vegan diets are incomplete? They lack sufficient protein and need to supplement many vital vitamins that are lacking in their diet. It is people like you that have these agendas where you want people to be like you and not eat meat so you twist stuff around. Continue to be ignorant. Every person has a right to choose what diet is best FOR THEM. That is not your decision. And just because you're a tree hugger you shouldn't BS people. Humans are omnivores. And yes, majority of vegans are women and nearly all of them are thin. There is a reason they are that size. And just by observation I do see many women starve themselves and get on these diets merely to maintain a figure that is desirable to a man. I used to hang out on vegan forums and would read these things. What a sad life. Sure, some of them eat this way for others reason but that is beside the point. The OP wanted an honest opinion not an ignorant one like yours.

I still eat a high veggie diet. I eat tons of herbs, edible weeds, nuts, seeds, legumes, seaweeds, and more. i do believe these foods are good for you. However, said on a vegan diet there is not enough protein. PERIOD.
  • LAMCDylan
    Options
    Laurend224 wrote: »

So you blamed your vegan diet for overeating and being overweight, yet only weak skinny women are vegans? What?

You can absolutely be a healthy, strong, vegan. And I think most long term vegans are doing it for ethical reasons, not for appearance sake.

Show me a a vegan bodybuilder. No way can a vegan diet sustain a man who is 220 lbs or up with muscle. Your body will break down your muscle on a vegan diet. Why is it so many vegans have more health issues on a vegan diet? I've talked with many vegans and this was the case.
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options

Show me a a vegan bodybuilder. No way can a vegan diet sustain a man who is 220 lbs or up with muscle. Your body will break down your muscle on a vegan diet. Why is it so many vegans have more health issues on a vegan diet? I've talked with many vegans and this was the case.

http://www.greatveganathletes.com/bodybuilders
  • Laurend224
    Options

http://www.greatveganathletes.com/bodybuilders

Ah, you got to it before I could, thank you. My husband also maintains a very muscular, 6 foot tall body. He has actually improved his strength since transitioning to plant based.

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »

What specifically are you trying to accomplish, and what are your expectations?

This. And if it were me, I'd calorie count for a month or so to make sure you're not over or under eating.
    That said, if you eat plant based, and actually eat a lot of plants, it's not so hard to end up in the right calorie range. But yes, what are you trying to accomplish?