Atkins/New Atkins/Atkins Induction Phase Any tips, motivation or results?

Options
I have just read Dr Atkins New Diet Revolution and I am now on day 2 of the Induction Phase, which is the first kick-start phase of the diet. It consists of eating about 20g net of carbs a day, from greens mostly, and sensible amounts of meat and healthy fats.

I have started this diet after researching about the effects of carbs and sugar on our metabolism (a great presentation to watch is Sugar: The Bitter Truth on YouTube) and thought about the Atkins diet which I had heard about when I first started dieting, but never tried. All of those researches were made because of my BED that is triggered by my carb addiction. I have been logging my foods for 2 weeks and noticed a lot less cravings when I didn't eat as many carbs as usual. Also, general well-being such as clearer skin and less energy crashes.

So this brings me to finding Atkins, after having heard how great results people are getting. I was wondering if there is any followers of the Atkins/LCHF lifestyle here? Do you have any tips or experience you would like to share?

Looking forward to hearing from you guys :)

Replies

• Leenda62
    Leenda62 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Hi. I have been following this plan since June and I love it. A lot of people think Atkins and low carb is nothing more than bacon, cigars and Jack Daniels everyday so expect some haters. I have lost 35 pounds (still have 65 to go). My cravings are better, binge eating is in the past (mostly), my lab numbers are great (my Dr. put me on this plan/lifestyle). If you want to send a friend request just tell me why and I will accept. My diary is open and I will be glad to answer any questions that can I can. (BTW I get my carbs mostly from veggies and eat from 18 - 35 NET carbs a day on average).
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    I did for a while. I found that I dropped a nice amount of water weight quickly, then just stopped...unless I restricted my calories. Also, if I had a carb-y meal or two, bam, back came the water. It was a real rollercoaster that way. I decided that since I had to restrict calories anyway, I may as well eat what I liked, but within reason as far as carbs go (I now eat about 100 g carbs/day).
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    edited December 2014
    Options
    It would probably be beneficial to check out the low carb groups. Its much more specialized in this type of thing.

On a side note, the documentary cherry picks science and its not very solid.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-group
  • shadesofidaho
    shadesofidaho Posts: 485 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    "Bacon cigars and Jack Daniels" DANG I missed that part of the book. LOL
    I am also trying to stay under 20 carb and most come from the veggies and some from cream. I just started right before Thanksgiving so I just about have a month under my belt. So far I am down 10 pounds since I started LCHF. Let the haters hate. I mostly post in the LCHF group posts to avoid the conflict.

And my doctor was also on board with my doing the LCHF. He just said to try to get as much good fat in as possible.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Tips ? Up your salt intake a few grams and don't fear the fats - no more diet / lean / lite options.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Ok if you want to low carb do it

But calorie defecit is enough

My experience with low carb was quick weight loss, and quick weight gain when I fell off the wagon...so it wasn't for me...but if you can stick to it for life it might be for you

I like carbs, I like all kinds of foods ...I like calorie defecit it works and has longevity for me

Good luck
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    Works for me.
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    Not a hater, but a fad diet survivor. Good luck I did Atkins x 2 plus South beach x 2, cabbage soup diet x 2, and many others. The new diet that I am on I call the June Cleaver diet (from "leave it to beaver") in which my plate has to have a meat, a veggie, some fruit, a bread, some butter or other fat, and leave room for dessert. All foods have to fit on a plate except for the dessert, and the dessert has to be a serving size. Then I calculate the calories, and it has to be less than 2000 calories (net) per day. 2-3 meals per day and a snack. By the way, I lost weight on all of the fad diet plans, water weight, protein weight, extra fat, but gained it all back and then some. Just can't stay on a very restrictive diet forever. Food is not the enemy and can be a really nice part of your day.
  • kristimason3
    kristimason3 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    ereck44 wrote: »
    Not a hater, but a fad diet survivor. Good luck I did Atkins x 2 plus South beach x 2, cabbage soup diet x 2, and many others. The new diet that I am on I call the June Cleaver diet (from "leave it to beaver") in which my plate has to have a meat, a veggie, some fruit, a bread, some butter or other fat, and leave room for dessert. All foods have to fit on a plate except for the dessert, and the dessert has to be a serving size. Then I calculate the calories, and it has to be less than 2000 calories (net) per day. 2-3 meals per day and a snack. By the way, I lost weight on all of the fad diet plans, water weight, protein weight, extra fat, but gained it all back and then some. Just can't stay on a very restrictive diet forever. Food is not the enemy and can be a really nice part of your day.

This!
  • TheSatinPumpkin
    TheSatinPumpkin Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    Been following DANDR since August '13 and recently moved to OWL rungs. Welcome and best wishes on your WOE.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Do you have a medical reason to avoid carbs?
  • jrose1982
    jrose1982 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »

She said she researched it and decided to try it. And, no, you don't need a medical reason to benefit from reducing carbs. It's a diet. Some people find it helps, others don't.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    jrose1982 wrote: »
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »

She said she researched it and decided to try it. And, no, you don't need a medical reason to benefit from reducing carbs. It's a diet. Some people find it helps, others don't.

Yep, read that.
  • stacymercado
    stacymercado Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I am on induction and am finding it hard to reach 20grams being that the food items are so restrictive. How are you doing on it? I lost 6lbs of water since Sunday and it has stayed off. The thing with atkins is there are phases to get you back to lifestyle eating - so why gain it back if you follow the program and phases? Phase 3 and 4 are not restrictive just monitoring the impact of reintroducing carbs slowly. I am looking at this as a lifestyle eating change, not a fad diet. If anyone has any ideas on how to meet the carbs please let me know. My only issue with this diet is its high in saturated fat - so I am trying to still eat it BUT keep it under control and still balance everything out while in induction. I am thinking I will do induction for 4 weeks and then move to phase two. Does anyone have words of wisdom stepping into phase two? My thought is adding a greek yogurt and rasberries or pears with it for the first week.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    And here you learn why it's better not to ask in the main forums, where being "right" is more important than being helpful.
  • theutahdesertfox
    theutahdesertfox Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Leenda62 wrote: »
    Hi. I have been following this plan since June and I love it. A lot of people think Atkins and low carb is nothing more than bacon, cigars and Jack Daniels everyday so expect some haters.

So true.

I lived in Sweden where "LCHF" is a daily word and almost all Swedes follow this philosophy if they're interested in health; I guess we Americanize everything here and make it look like it's bacon and whiskey XD but anyway....I've had more success with mostly eliminating carbs than just about anything else.

I am not a carb addict (used to be a sugar addict) but it was still very hard to get away from them....they're in everything! When I'm being more strict than I am right now, I limit to 20g per day. I know there's a lot of fighting about whether or not Atkins is healthy long term, but to me, dropping 50 or more pounds of excess fat is far better for your health. Colon cancer does run in my family so I try to take it easy on the meat, so that's maybe something to keep in mind if you're extra carnivorous (I'm not!)

The important part that people here aren't getting is the ADDICTION. Put heroin or cocaine in place of carbs or sugar and these people start to sound idiotic. "Just use willpower!" "Why are you choosing not to do just a LITTLE cocaine and stop there?" Addiction is a very real thing, it's how a lot of us turn into hamplanets. It's not a word to be used lightly in the realm of emotional overeating.

Anywho. Best of luck! Atkins/keto have a great following over on reddit so if you're a redditor hit them up. Great community! And great fitness community in general :)