Foods/recipes you grew up with that you would not eat today

Options
What types of food did your parents make for you that you would not touch as an adult?

For me it was a lot of canned products. Canned potatoes, canned rice pilaf, canned peas and corn. Yuck.

Replies

• Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Hamburger Helper, frozen entrees, box cake and frosting from a jar, wonder bread.
  • stephanieluvspb
    stephanieluvspb Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    Beans and corn bread because...ewww and homemade pizza bc I prefer greasy pizza hut
  • akboy58
    akboy58 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Just off the top of my head:

Chef Boyardee anything
    salisbury steak
    Frosted Flakes, Trix, Lucky Charms, etc.
    Instant mashed potaoes
    Koolaid
    Kraft mac & cheese

I could go on and on ...
  • apparations
    apparations Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    My mom used to make a tuna casserole that was actually made on the stovetop and was just egg noodles, a can of cream of mushroom soup, a can of tuna, and frozen peas. I loved it as a kid but I honestly can't bring myself to make this now.

I did try to make a better version using sauteed mushrooms and onion, cream, butter and parmesan. That one was really good.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    cheese pastries. good but so addictive
  • OKfarmgal
    OKfarmgal Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    White bread
    Spaghettio's
    Big Red Soda
    Mom's Thanksgiving gravy (it was grey)
    Fried Okra
  • apparations
    Options
    OKfarmgal wrote: »
    White bread
    Spaghettio's
    Big Red Soda
    Mom's Thanksgiving gravy (it was grey)
    Fried Okra

Haha. My mom used to make a beef stew that was grey and tasted god awful. I hated it. My sister and I had a beef stew protest going on for quite awhile.
  • blueakama
    blueakama Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Canned soup. Mum even used to mix two different kinds together.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    My mom's lasagna because it's gone downhill over the years
    the soup she used to make that was just noodles and chicken broth
    the prune juice she would make me drink
  • apparations
    Options
    blueakama wrote: »
    Canned soup. Mum even used to mix two different kinds together.
    I used to have ripped up processed cheese in Campbell's chicken noodle soup. It melts and sticks to the bottom of the bowl... *gag*
  • jessieleah
    jessieleah Posts: 204 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Beans and corn bread because...ewww and homemade pizza bc I prefer greasy pizza hut

I can't even comprehend someone not liking cornbread. Oh man.

I ate a lot.. and I mean A LOT of fast food as a kid. I don't touch it now unless necessary (like when I was on a 14 hour bus ride and the only stop we made was at a gas station/Arby's). Potato salad with mayo and miracle whip mixed in. Hahahaha ..no. Um, hot pockets, bagel bites, crap like that. x_x

This is embarrassing but I also used to take pieces of salami and slather some mayo on them, fold them in half and eat them. So much shame.
  • Paganrosemama
    Paganrosemama Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Mom cooked most things fresh- although some of the quick foods were so gross. Plus I have major issues with salt, so most of that is out.

Canned Cream of chicken on toast
    T.V dinners
    Ramen Noodle
    Canned carrots
    Hot dogs/bolgna
    kool aid
    campbells chicken noodle soup
  • waterbyrde
    waterbyrde Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Spam...my dad still eats it from time to time. And Vienna sausages.

I don't know how I survived my childhood. :p
  • apparations
    Options
    I can't beleive I forgot to mention Pilsbury Pizza Pops. I would eat 2-3 after school as a snack. Also Spam, or Klik... or canned ham.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    Tuna helper. Lots of it. Never, ever again.
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    Ramen (although my husband eats it frequently), those huge A Coscto muffins, Marie Calendars potpies, fish sticks, or any seafood for that matter.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    I actually had a pretty good childhood in regards to food. Lots of fresh fruits/veggies/homemade meals from scratch.

The one thing I can think of is couscous.

My mom wanted to be adventerous that night.

It was not a fun adventure.

It has started a "meme" in my family that has continued for nearly 15 years.
  • ErinK09
    ErinK09 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Sauerkraut. Bleh.
  • JazzFischer1989
    JazzFischer1989 Posts: 531 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Anything Chef Boyardee, wouldn't touch it now.

And oh god. For breakfast, I would always ask my mom to make "cheesy eggs" - which was scrambled eggs with like 5-6 slices of Kraft Singles cheese and that's it. The egg to cheese ratio was like 2:5. I like cheese in my eggs, but I'm nauseated by that amount.
  • aprilricks86
    aprilricks86 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    ^^haha, made me lol . . .

some of these foods listed sound pretty tasty. Tuna helper--love that stuff! Haven't eaten it in probably a decade, but I'm pretty sure I'd still like it. Pretty sure I could down a can of beefaroni, ravioli or spaghetti-o's with meatballs right now! Yum

I guess the only thing I wouldn't do now as far as food is concerned is go as overboard as I used to. My "usual" at McDonald's was a big mac, large fry and regular pepsi. At KFC I'd eat a chicken sandwich and order of potato wedges with a regular pepsi. Honestly, I'd probably still eat that stuff if I had a huge amount of calories to make up for, but probably have more control. I rarely spend money on fast food so tend not to eat those things. I can't and won't drink full sugar sodas anymore. I also can't drink any sugary drinks, they spike my blood sugar too much. Hot cocoa, full sugar juice . . . I have to pass on that stuff.

Other things I used to love I'm not sure if I'd still love today--those hand pies that come filled with different fruit fillings / chocolate, thick-sliced bologna, full-fat mayo. Since starting my MFP account it's just made me realize how over-consumed fat is. I would say most people consume waaaaay too much fat and of course not enough protein!